San Diego Area - Page 911 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #13651
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Just sell your TJ and buy my YJ for $6K and I'll go buy a newer TJ unlimited.
Nah.... I like my YJ.

Sound's like we're gunna' need to crawl under your Jeep and eliminte some of those noises.
Easy problem to solve, get a bigger stereo and larger speakers, voila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
So, do you carry a spare 1330 and a spare 760 or just one or neither? I would think that on the trail you could get by with just one to get yourself out of there...so I guess you wouldn't need a spare as long as you can 4Hi it back to civilization - what are the odds of both failing at the same time? Are they both really hard to swap out on the trail on a Rubi axle? I remember changing the U-joint on my old '91 YJ in my garage about 15 years ago and that seemed like a pretty big undertaking at the time (I don't remember if I had the right tools or not to make it smoother)...not sure if they have gotten easier...but they swapped one out for Ric on the trail while I watched you (Steve) eat a sandwich and shoot the **** so it can't be all that difficult...or can it?
The trick to the d-shaft joint trail swap "we" did was having that deep socket that fits inside the joint end, a larger socket to use as a stand, a good bfh to encourage it (all in my tool box - a u-joint tool would be better), and most importantly, the 13yo who really, really wanted to do all the work, priceless

I do carry a 1310/1330 joint in the spare box, along with a 1310 and a 1330.

I broke my right front axle joint a few months ago, I just pulled the inner, stuffed a rag in there and drove back to camp. If all else fails I have a uni from a GC that bolts right in

What often happens with the Rubi axles is that the joint yoke bends or twists and there is no getting a new joint back in. I have an outer/uni from late model GC D30, exact same as the Rubi, so if all else fails I can just pop a new one in. When the budget comes around I'll be looking at the Superior alloy axle set with the larger joints..

Somewhere in JF there's a good discussion about the torque issues with Rubi t-case, axles and lockers and Blaine Johnson goes into some detail about problems and fixes, I'll see if I can find it.

StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #13652
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone up for a day run tomorrow afternoon to Corral Canyon? I have not been in the jeep since the last camping trip and I wouldn't mind getting out there one time before I take my jeep apart for the new fenders.

Maybe head out just about lunch time? I have something to do early in the morning.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #13653
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Last call for any contraband from Arizona. If you see anything on craigslist or know of something you want that can't be purchased in California call me this morning.
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #13654
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at CL for Yuma and nothing jumped out except maybe this:

http://yuma.craigslist.org/pts/1129136652.html
BlueOx Towbar $60
This is a non folding towbar that I used on a Ford Festiva. It does fold up to the hood and can be locked in that position. These sell new for about three times what I am asking. Comes with safety cables.
If interested, contact Jerry at 342-2506
Unread 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #13655
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Easy problem to solve, get a bigger stereo and larger speakers, voila

thats what i do
if i cant hear it its not there. thats the mentality i will be having until the repair party.
ankyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #13656
KraZeDav
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
how hard is it to change u-joints in drive shafts?

Alittle easier if you have a bench to work on.
I lost my rear u-joint twice. Scince then I replaced the yoke with one that uses u-bolts.
KraZeDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #13657
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I could still definatly use some wiring help down here, the Jeep cranks now, has fuel, but no spark.
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #13658
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, at this point I am willing to pay on top of the standard beer and food for anyone to come by.
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING

Last edited by GroundClearance; 05-02-2009 at 04:52 PM..
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #13659
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Anyone up for a day run tomorrow afternoon to Corral Canyon? I have not been in the jeep since the last camping trip and I wouldn't mind getting out there one time before I take my jeep apart for the new fenders.

Maybe head out just about lunch time? I have something to do early in the morning.
i was actually considering taking the quad out there tomorow for some riding. I'd take the YJ but i still haven't fixed any of the damage from TDS
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #13660
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

I am possibly in for a run tomorrow afternoon - won't know until tomorrow though...keep us posted if you plan to do this...
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #13661
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundClearance View Post
Oh yeah, at this point I am willing to pay on top of the standard beer and food for anyone to come by.
did you get it sorted out?
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #13662
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
I am possibly in for a run tomorrow afternoon - won't know until tomorrow though...keep us posted if you plan to do this...
I have some stuff to do in the morning but I think noon works. Maybe we can meet at the Tavern Rd exit in Alpine then. I know there is a store or a gas station of some kind there.
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #13663
Bajachief
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am planning on going. I also need to buy forest adventure pass so I will search where in Alpine. Time for meeting?
Bajachief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #13664
TJ BUD
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajachief View Post
I am planning on going. I also need to buy forest adventure pass so I will search where in Alpine. Time for meeting?
You can get the adventure pass at the market in Pine Valley
TJ BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #13665
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

noon at the tavern road exit, or appx 12:30 at 4 corners.

CB 4 I'll pm my cell #

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.