San Diego Area - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #121
JPJeeper

Thanks for the pictures... everyone here at work is now laughing at the boss and his new jeep hanging off the edge...

Last edited by JPJeeper; 02-14-2006 at 03:00 PM..
JPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #122
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well you had the balls to try it, everyone who's been wheelin long enough has been there....I know I have....

:edit: I changed the last pic to a better angle
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING

Last edited by GroundClearance; 01-16-2006 at 04:45 PM..
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #123
kash
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK OK, Im officially Jealous. I lived in San Diego for 9 years while stationed at NASNI. Used to go out to Otay Mesa Mountains almost weekly with a buddy and cruise the border roads and trails. He had a big old heavy but fun Blazer, and I had a 92 Nissan HB 2wd. Places that got goofy, Id just go fast until I couldnt go anymore and he would tow me, that was fun for a while, but got old pretty quick.
Now I live in Northeast PA about 50 miles from Paragon. There is alot of mud and fun to be had here, but Cali was the bomb diggity! Now Ive got an XJ thats a ton of fun and wish I had it out there. Have fun and stay safe!

Matt
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #124
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Anyone off work a day or two this coming week and have some place they want to wheel at? I have all next week off and wouldn't mind wheeling someplace different. Just somewhere within reasonable driving distance of San Diego!
Jerry,
I just got back from the San Diego 4 wheel club Superstition Mountain event (I went with dhsundance), so I didn't see your post until now. I'm off work this week; this is a good time of year to visit Anza Borrego. How about Lower Coyote Canyon? or Upper Coyote Canyon? somewhere else?
Unread 01-17-2006, 02:42 AM   #125
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Superstition Mountain

The San Diego 4 Wheelers Club held their 8th Annual Superstition Mountain Run on January 14 and 15th, 2006, at the Superstition Mountain Off Highway Recreation Area (about 20 miles west of El Centro, CA). There were about 200 vehicles registered for the event. I spent the weekend following dhsundance’s black Rubi around the area. On Saturday, we joined a group of 28 vehicles that ran the Rabbit’s Foot trail around the eastern end of the area.

We had time to play in the Sand Hills (and learn what we could and couldn't get away with). This is dhsundance's black Rubi:

The area borders a Navy bombing range:

We enjoyed watching the Navy’s Blue Angels practice their precision flying routines during our lunch break:

After lunch, we drove through Wrangler Canyon

Played on the Sand Dam,

And returned to the Main Camp:

Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-17-2006 at 02:54 AM..
Russ Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 02:52 AM   #126
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

On Sunday, we travelled to the west side of the Superstition Mountain area with a group of 11 vehicles. In the distance to the west are the Fish Creek Mountains of Anza Borrego Desert State Park:

We descended the Sand Slide:

We stopped for lunch in the Tilted Table area. During lunch, we watched another group with modified rigs run the canyon below us::

After lunch, we climbed to the top of the ridge, where we had great views of Salton Sea to the north, and Mexico to the south:

We played on more sand on the way back to the Main Camp:

The daytime temps were in the 70s (F) and at night it dropped to about 40 F. The wind picked up on Saturday night and continued to gust on Sunday morning, but other than the wind, the weather was pleasant.
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #127
JPJeeper

Thanks for the Pics Russ.

Looks like a good time.

Question, was it mostly sand? It looks like most of your pictures are of dunes. Or was it a case of hard wheeling and the only time you could take shots was when everything got easier?

I have never been to superstition, just wondering what type of terrain (I can see the hard valleys in the mod jeeps shots)
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #128
dhsundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJeeper
Thanks for the Pics Russ.

Looks like a good time.

Question, was it mostly sand? It looks like most of your pictures are of dunes. Or was it a case of hard wheeling and the only time you could take shots was when everything got easier?

I have never been to superstition, just wondering what type of terrain (I can see the hard valleys in the mod jeeps shots)
There is a lot of sand and some rocks in the canyons at the bottom of the hill. The one canyon we overlooked during lunchtime had rocks that were very large. I'd like to head out there again this season.

Last edited by dhsundance; 01-18-2006 at 07:38 AM..
dhsundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #129
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Chung
Jerry,
I just got back from the San Diego 4 wheel club Superstition Mountain event (I went with dhsundance), so I didn't see your post until now. I'm off work this week; this is a good time of year to visit Anza Borrego. How about Lower Coyote Canyon? or Upper Coyote Canyon? somewhere else?
Sounds good to me, it'll have to be some day this week? Anyone else?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #130
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJeeper

Jeff, the Superstition Mountain ridgeline runs east-west; the north and west (upwind) sides of the mountain are rocky or packed sand; the south and east (downwind) sides have the soft sand.
Unread 01-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #131
JPJeeper

Ahhh.... Makes sense now...

Whats the plan for this weekend...

Can't go during the week.

I have yet to go anywhere in Anza.... Maybe we can get something going for there.

If we have a few folks... I can look something up or take suggestions.
Unread 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #132
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Chung
How about Lower Coyote Canyon? Upper Coyote Canyon? Somewhere else?
Quote:
Sounds good to me, it'll have to be some day this week? Anyone else?
Jerry, can we go tomorrow (Wednesday)? I might have to meet a client on Thursday (I won't have confirmation until tomorrow, but just in case, I should leave Thursday open). If not, then we can try on Thursday (if I don't have a meeting) or Friday. You pick the meeting place/time. I'll drive down from Los Angeles.
Anyone else?

Russ
Unread 01-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #133
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm up for almost any day, even Saturday would work. Has anyone done Coyote Canyon near Borrego Springs recently and know if the upper part of the trail is open? I might be leaning more towards Friday Russ, but is Saturday open for you too?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #134
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm up for almost any day, even Saturday would work. Has anyone done Coyote Canyon near Borrego Springs recently and know if the upper part of the trail is open? I might be leaning more towards Friday Russ, but is Saturday open for you too?
Jerry,
I'm flying east on Saturday, so Friday would be best for me, but if there are more Forum members who can participate if you go on Saturday, then I'll have to join you next time. According to dhsundance, the Upper Coyote Canyon trail was open when he ran it on October 22
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203068

Why not do both days? Do one trail on Friday, and the other one on Saturday?
Unread 01-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #135
JPJeeper

Stock Rubicon here looking for a Saturday run...(Well Disconnects)

Jerry,

I think I blew both my rear shocks on a fire road. Ride is very bouncy. I have been under it and looked for breakage and can find nothing. Looked at the trackbars/Swaybars/Perches/UPPER/LOWER control arms. When I rock the back of the Jeep it kindof continues to rock after I stop. You think its shocks? I am ordering a lift today so I would hate to buy new shocks for a week. but maybe some cheap ones. You think it would be ok to drive off road once until the lift went in?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.