San Diego Area - Page 890 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #13336
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Its looking like today is gonna be another repair party at my place. Bring your junk. The beer is already on ice

Unread 04-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #13337
KraZeDav
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My brute

You can't control the fight just sit back and watch

http://krazedav.mybrute.com
KraZeDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #13338
KraZeDav
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
Its looking like today is gonna be another repair party at my place. Bring your junk. The beer is already on ice
Where do you live? If I can break loose from the yard work my wife wants me to do I'd Like to swing by and check out that CJ.
Unread 04-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #13339
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
BTW. I am pretty sure this is not Premo

details?
hahah
no, NOT me! LOL

eric, wtf?! whats goin on? all ok?
Unread 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #13340
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazedav View Post
That sucks. I got a cacti needle in my side wall Easter weekend. Brand new BFG KM2. I went back to Discount tire and they are gonna hook me up with a new one. And I didn't bring a reciept cuz they have me in the computer.
Doesn't Big O have a computer? I did not buy the warranty road hazard but they will replace it for the cost of shipping. Those new KM2 are flying off the shelves faster than they are coming in. They did not have any available at local wharehouses so I have to wait untill they ship one in from Michigan.
I bought my last set (31x10.5 mud Trn )from Discount with the road hazard wrnty but never had to replace one.
No receipt got them from a guy on craigslist. Got 4 33X12.5R15 tires, 95% tread for 170, the catch one had sidewall damage and not repairable. There big O brand so nothing really special about them but only one trip on them.
Unread 04-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #13341
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Big O is terrible with warranty stuff. That's a bummer man.
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #13342
KraZeDav
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Who would this be?
Unread 04-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #13343
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazedav View Post

Who would this be?
me
10char...
Unread 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #13344
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
I was going to pop over and hang out after doing some things earlier in the afternoon - but as I was driving down the freeway earlier, my check engine light came on, then randomly I felt loss of power....occasional backfire if I gave it gas while the power drop was happening...freaked me out because I was just getting on the Coronado bridge...so anyway, I got over the bridge, pulled over and let it sit a minute and then continued on...it was better for a bit...then started doing it again randomly... Got to where I was going and checked the engine codes using the key trick...I got a 12, 21, 42, 55....the same ones I ALWAYS get...when offroading in the desert with the dust, etc...and it always goes away eventually.... For easy reference they are:

12* Battery Disconnect Direct battery input to the PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
21** Left O2 Sensor Shorted to Voltage Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range
21** Upstream O2 Sensor Shorted to Ground; or Upstream O2 Sensor Heater Failure; or Upstream O2 Sensor Slow Response Upstream O2 sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start; or Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction; or Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency
21** Downstream O2 Sensor Shorted to Ground; or Downstream O2 Sensor Heater Failure; or Downstream O2 Sensor Shorted to Voltage Downstream O2 sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start; or Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction; or Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range
42* Auto Shutdown Relay Ctrl Circuit; or No ASD Relay Output Voltage at PCM; or Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit; or Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too High (or Too Low); or Fuel Level Unit No Change Over Miles An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit; or An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit; or An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit; or Shorted (or open) circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit; or No movement of fuel level sender detected
55* N/A Completion of fault code display on the Check Engine Lamp (MIL)

So then I popped the hood - didn't see anything...then looked underneath. I found oil all over the place on the underside - mostly on the driver's side...it looked to be originating from a line I can't identify - I don't have much experience wrenching (I was planning to supervise, lend muscle, and eat food at Jason's and check out his new CJ). The leak looks to be a little ways back from the front tire area a little bit and on the inside of the frame. At least that is where it looked to be coming from - hard to tell with oil all over.

So I got it home and took some pictures...I called Jason and talked to Steve a little bit -to find out where Jason lives...thought it was OB for some reason, which is close - I would have driven over there still...but found out he is in east Poway...and I couldn't risk driving it that far and I don't have another car so your food is safe!

Anyway, I will probably take the Jeep into ORW on Monday, because they just did my re-gear and had things apart this past week...so odds are it may have been caused by that...but I am not sure...so I am posting the pictures I took below and maybe you guys can help me diagnose it ahead of time...I need to check my oil level before I drive it anywhere in any case...it looked like engine oil to me.

What do you guys think? Can you tell anything from the pictures?

Thanks!
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #13345
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post

What do you guys think? Can you tell anything from the pictures?
Yes I can.

I can tell that it's really dirty and leaking from somewhere

No need to offer thanks

On the other hand

it looks like you might have a leak on the clutch slave cylinder line, which could have run back and shorted out the 02 sensor and caused multiple codes.

Hard to tell without looking at it and poking around.

If you get frustrated and decide to burn it let me know in advance, there's a few parts I'd like to grab
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #13346
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's kind of what I thought too. Does it shift ok?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #13347
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Yes I can.

I can tell that it's really dirty and leaking from somewhere

No need to offer thanks

On the other hand

it looks like you might have a leak on the clutch slave cylinder line, which could have run back and shorted out the 02 sensor and caused multiple codes.

Hard to tell without looking at it and poking around.

If you get frustrated and decide to burn it let me know in advance, there's a few parts I'd like to grab
I suspected it might be dirty and leaking something - thank for the confirmation!

I figured whatever was leaking has coated the O2 sensor somehow (I don't know where it is come to think of it) and caused it to throw some codes...like I said before, I see those same codes a lot...so I am kind of immune to them...but oil leaking all over I am not immune to...perhaps because of the leak gumming up the sensor, it is screwing up the computer and causing it to run leaner or something, thus the power losses randomly...and the backfires...so not really an issue once I get the leak isolated, identified, and fixed and maybe get the sensors cleaned up...

I don't know what that one line is that looks like it is the one leaking...it has a strange connection and a plastic thing on the cable...

Quote:
That's kind of what I thought too. Does it shift ok?
It shifts just fine...

Wheelers for the Wounded
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #13348
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

does it smell like brake fluid? It sure looks like it's coming from the clutch but that does not hold very much fluid, maybe a pint total. The reservoir is right near the brake cylinder and is normally a screw top plastic about 3-4 inches high
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #13349
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
does it smell like brake fluid? It sure looks like it's coming from the clutch but that does not hold very much fluid, maybe a pint total. The reservoir is right near the brake cylinder and is normally a screw top plastic about 3-4 inches high
I did forget to mention that I was smelling something after the check engine light came on as I was driving...smelled like some kind of fluid burning off something...I don't remember what brake fluid smells like...is it that really awful smell? For some reason I seem to remember brake fluid smells bad...? I will have to smell the fluid and check the reservoir in the morning - can you see the fluid through the side to check it or will I need to open it? I'll have to do some research to make sure I look at the right reservoir. When I was under there I don't remember smelling anything special.

Wheelers for the Wounded
Unread 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #13350
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

these pix are of a YJ but is similar.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/clutch-master-cylinder-replacement-728960/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.