Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#14,641 ·
New to this forum and a Prescott,Az transplant living in Ramona, Ca.. I was looking for a wheelin partner for a Saturday trip to Carrol Canyon. I have never been there personally aside from the virual trips via U-tube.. Any takers......
http://www.sd4wheel.com/drupal/files/Big_Bear_2009rev2.pdf

Not very far, if you can get there, its worth it. See your e-mail for my Justruns response.

Happy Trails,
Moose:cheers2:

#14,650 ·
I've got a Check Engine Light....and it sounds like a cylinder is misfiring...running rough...and there seems to be more clanking around underneath... ORW called and Teraflex sent out some custom bushings for me - I just need to get those installed...should fix the metal on metal...now to figure out the engine problem... Might not be able to deal with it for a couple of weeks though...my son is with me for a few weeks (he lives on the east coast) and every day is pretty packed with father-son goodness... I wanted to take him offroading so I am torn...
Did you get it fixed..?? What was the CEL code???

New to this forum and a Prescott,Az transplant living in Ramona, Ca.. I was looking for a wheelin partner for a Saturday trip to Carrol Canyon. I have never been there personally aside from the virual trips via U-tube.. Any takers......
Welcome to San Diego. Hope you enjoy the many trails offered in the area.

#14,651 ·
Jeebs check this one out..http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1252272839.html

'99 FORD 350
CREW CAB

POWERSTROKE 7.3
Dually / 4X4
VERY LOW MILES
ONLY 112,000 MILES
FROM MARINE CORP
ONLY $9995.00 OBO
Here we are offering a 1999 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4 wheels drive dually that is built like a tank. This truck comes to us from the United States Marine Corp. Its was painted by them camaflouge beige.
The truck is powered by the legendary Powerstroke 7.3. The transmission is a 4 speed automatic overdrive and its got 4 wheel drive. 4 wheel disc brakes, Abs, dual air bags, climate control, power steering with stabilizer shock, towing mirrors and tow hitch, radial tires all around and too much more to list here.
The maintenance on this truck has always been done by United States Marines. Mechanically, you just cannot get any better than that. The tires are new or like new. I did not see any tire with less than 80 % thread left.
The exterior of the truck is average for a Marine vehicle. The paint is camaflouge and they paint over everything ( emblems, bumpers and such). I have tried to photograph all the damaged areas. The left rear fender is damged on the front bottom. The left front fender is damaged at the very bottom just behind the left front tire. There are numerous small dents, scratches and paint chips all around the exterior of the body. Also, there is no tailgate. This truck is for performing and not for exhibiting.
The interior of the truck is very nice for a military vehicle. The dashboard is in great condition. All the glass in without chips or breaks. The seats are vinyl bench seats for the front and the rear and they are in great shape The floor covering it the hard rubber matting and it too is good. When the military orders they vehicles, they order them without too many luxuries. This is why there are no power locks, power windows, cruise control and extra such that. Again, this is a performance truck and not an exibition truck.
I drove the truck and it drive great. Engine is smooth, although what would one expect out of a Powerstroke 7.3 with such low miles. The transmission shifts nice and pulls hard. The truck steers is straight. The A/C blows so cold. I was very impressed with how nice this truck drive.
If you have any questions about this truck, just email me and I will answer as quickly as I can. Please note that this truck is offered locally and may be subject to sale before the end of the auction.
Main: (323) 833-5542 or 833-5541
auctionsales@2coolpc.com

Attachments

#14,652 ·
Jeebs check this one out..http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1252272839.html

'99 FORD 350
CREW CAB

POWERSTROKE 7.3
Dually / 4X4
VERY LOW MILES
ONLY 112,000 MILES
FROM MARINE CORP
ONLY $9995.00 OBO

The maintenance on this truck has always been done by United States Marines. Mechanically, you just cannot get any better than that. The tires are new or like new. I did not see any tire with less than 80 % thread left.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: This literally caused me to laugh out loud! Having seen it first hand I should be able to sue this guy for false advertising.

Thanks for looking out. Thats a bit more than I was looking to spend though.

#14,654 ·
Moose - I couldn't get out there this week but I may try Tuesday or Wednesday if you aren't too booked. Let me know if one day is better than another and I will shoot for that... I am thinking Wed might be best...

Jimmy - the codes were (still are actually) 42 & 43, which are:

42* Auto Shutdown Relay Ctrl Circuit; or No ASD Relay Output Voltage at PCM; or Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit; or Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too High (or Too Low); or Fuel Level Unit No Change Over Miles An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit; or An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit; or An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit; or Shorted (or open) circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit; or No movement of fuel level sender detected
43* Ignition Coil #1 Primary Circuit Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time
43** Multiple Cylinder Misfire; or Cylinder #1, or #2, or #3, or #4, or #5, or #6 Misfire Misfire detected in multiple cylinders; or Misfire detected in cylinder #1, or #2, or #3, or #4, or #5, or #6

#14,655 ·
Installed new bumper

After three months my Shrockworks bumper showed up and the Warn Powerplant winch followed a few days later. The Amsteel rope and fairlead are due in Monday or Tuesday but I went ahead and installed the bumper and winch.

Put the old bumper up on Craigslist and we'll see how long it takes to move. Had no clue as to what it's worth and just took a guess based on some other listings I saw up there.

Very happy with the quality of the new bumper and with how easily it went in. Only hard part was lifting that PP winch into place.

Went for a drive today out near Twin Oaks, air'd down the tires and played around for a while and then fired up the compresser in winch to air up both my tires and those of another guy who joined me.

Sweet!

Attachments

#14,659 ·
Holy crap, i cant believe i made it thru this weekend alive. f-in hell!

After three months my Shrockworks bumper showed up and the Warn Powerplant winch followed a few days later. The Amsteel rope and fairlead are due in Monday or Tuesday but I went ahead and installed the bumper and winch.

Put the old bumper up on Craigslist and we'll see how long it takes to move. Had no clue as to what it's worth and just took a guess based on some other listings I saw up there.

Very happy with the quality of the new bumper and with how easily it went in. Only hard part was lifting that PP winch into place.

Went for a drive today out near Twin Oaks, air'd down the tires and played around for a while and then fired up the compresser in winch to air up both my tires and those of another guy who joined me.

Sweet!
sweet! yea, that winch is a heavy pig! i had one on mine for a while too...
you will probably get somewhere around 40-50 for the bumper.