Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#12,941 ·
Rik, let us know if we can do anything to help you out while your back at the hospital. I live very close to La Jolla, have a truck and trailer, so anything you need picked up, moved, stored, etc, let me know!
Thanks. If I do have to check in, I'm hoping it will only be for a day or two.
I'm going to Thornton Hospital.
I wish I lived in La Jolla. My grandparents lived there two doors from the beach, and I always looked forward to visiting them.
How did I end up living in Murrieta? Not complaining, I'm blessed. Just wondering why here?

But thanks again for the offer.

#12,942 ·
What a find Jason. Congrats. Are you repainting the Rust color??:cheers2::thumbsup:
Good question. And were there any limited edition graphics that were/are on it that you need to duplicate? Let me know. Richie can make what ever you need exactly as original.
He does graphics for several boat companies. He has authorization from companies like Glastron, etc...

#12,943 ·
What a find Jason. Congrats. Are you repainting the Rust color??:cheers2::thumbsup:
Good question. And were there any limited edition graphics that were/are on it that you need to duplicate? Let me know. Richie can make what ever you need exactly as original.
He does graphics for several boat companies. He has authorization from companies like Glastron, etc...
Not sure about what color I am going to go with just yet. The "Jambo" Edition came in that gold/copper color and white only. There are a few hundred gold ones and only 1 known white one to still exist. Since I don't see myself restoring this as a collector I will probably not go with either factory colors.

It did come with a decal on both sides of the hood. It says Jamboree. I do plan on putting the decal back on.

Here is what one looked like off the showroom floor. It came factory with a lot of cool options, even a winch.

#12,944 ·
What? You don't want to restore it as a collector's show piece? Take the lift off, find factory wheels and little tires, paint and decals, then take it into the desert and wheel the **** out of it!

Enjoy your new toy!!!:thumbsup:

#12,945 ·
Looking for opinions! With this CJ it has the stock 4.2L motor with the crap carter carb. I have 2 options at this point; rebuild the current engine and replace the carb with the fuel injection kit. I believe the FI kit is pretty pricey. My other option is to keep the 4.0 HO I have, finish rebuilding it and swap it in. Then I have FI but also have a computer and other wiring crap. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

#12,947 ·
I wish I lived in La Jolla.
I do too, you should move there, nice place right on the beach, big garage, and hey, I could move in and be your nurse :thumbsup:

And besides, you should see me in nurse's uniform, pretty hot :droolie:

:rofl:

Looking for opinions! With this CJ it has the stock 4.2L motor with the crap carter carb. I have 2 options at this point; rebuild the current engine and replace the carb with the fuel injection kit. I believe the FI kit is pretty pricey. My other option is to keep the 4.0 HO I have, finish rebuilding it and swap it in. Then I have FI but also have a computer and other wiring crap. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!
I know where there's a Hemi close by...

There's always the Motorcraft or Weber carb conversion, cheaper that the Howell but still carb'd; there is a Mopar FI conversion for the 258 (but really expensive - like twice the Howell price); or you could drop a 4.0 head and associated FI stuff on the 258 block (with not insurmountable mods) but then you're still dealing with the electronics

Best thing to do is change your mind a zillion times and then trade the CJ for a TJ :laugh:

#12,948 ·
I do too, you should move there, nice place right on the beach, big garage, and hey, I could move in and be your nurse :thumbsup:

And besides, you should see me in nurse's uniform, pretty hot :droolie:

OK... now I need to take a sedative to be able to sleep tonite after visualizing THAT!

#12,953 ·
Anyone need some 35's? I just bought a set of 37's, and need to buy some 16" wheels too....unless Kory or Premo will trade me.... :D

#12,959 ·
Way back many pages ago, several of us were hoping to get a heater box installation party going under the supervision of someone who apparently had done the job in a Grand Cherokee. Did anything happen with that or does anyone remember who that heater box expert was? I still need to get it replaced in my son's '02 WJ and I'm not so sure I want to tackle puling the entire dash off as the job requires without someone who has done it before to at supervise. I am willing to provide the garage and all the tools needed for the job. Anyone know of anyone who has done that job before if that person we were hoping could help is not available?

#12,960 ·
Way back many pages ago, several of us were hoping to get a heater box installation party going under the supervision of someone who apparently had done the job in a Grand Cherokee. Did anything happen with that or does anyone remember who that heater box expert was? I still need to get it replaced in my son's '02 WJ and I'm not so sure I want to tackle puling the entire dash off as the job requires without someone who has done it before to at supervise. I am willing to provide the garage and all the tools needed for the job. Anyone know of anyone who has done that job before if that person we were hoping could help is not available?
Seems like that was in a prior life, it was so long ago.

Jimmy (4x4grey88) is the expert, having taken his TJ apart a couple of times. As I recall we all volunteered him for the job and he later agreed to it, poor guy.