Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#11,982 ·
Ive ventured into the world of rebuilding power shift transmisions if that counts. One out of one of these guys. Same thing right?

You can move a lot of chocolate with that thing.

#11,983 ·
LW would be a great trip for this weekend after all the rain we had.
Those ruts should be huge by now.
That was a fun place to practice your driving skills. I'm not sure it's ever been oficially "open" anyway. The gate's not locked. Don't go without a guide first time there tho'.
I go up there ALL the time with my buddy... its an awesome run for first-timers.
Count me in next time you guys go. He knows the area like the back of his hand. He's lived there his whole life. Pretty sure he can get his VW Manx buggy anywhere we can get our Jeeps! :laugh:

#11,984 ·
ditto, though i want someone to look over my jeep to make sure its even trail ready.

getting rid of the 35's tomorrow for 33's, less stress on the d35 from what i read.

should i get an alignment and where do i go in SD? i was suggested SD truck shop by a friend.
Is there something about it that makes you think it's not good-to-go?

I'd be happy to take a look at it - I'm in the Rancho San Diego/El Cajon area near Cuyamaca College & La Mesa.

#11,986 ·
ditto, though i want someone to look over my jeep to make sure its even trail ready.

getting rid of the 35's tomorrow for 33's, less stress on the d35 from what i read.

should i get an alignment and where do i go in SD? i was suggested SD truck shop by a friend.
There is nothing to align on a YJ except toe in. All you need is a ruler, some chalk and a friend.

Jack the front tires clear of the ground, spin them and make a chalk mark in the center. Then, measure the distance between the marks in the front and the back of the tire. Should be toed in appx 1/8" or so, IIRC. Double check that number.

Hi Joe. :wave:

#11,989 ·
Hi Joe, welcome to our little corner of the internet. We used to know another Joe, had a nice white YJ but he broke a pitman arm and we never heard from him again :laugh:

I kinda wonder about the people in the PSH vid, hey, is that a Jeep rolling towards us, maybe we should move

And about the 35's and the D35, some truth to the rumor. I broke a D35 shaft with 35's a couple of years back. So yeah, it happens, but then I've seen D35's break with 33's and smaller tires too, but, this is a case were smaller is better.

We need a Jeep weekend, repair party, whatever.

When's the meet and great?

#11,994 ·
Well, Got the Jeep back. Andre over at Rancho took care of the situation. They forgot to tighten one of the hose clamps on the heater core :rolleyes:, and plug half the stuff back in. Also managed to break the oil pressure sending unit when changing the oil, so they replaced that too.

#11,996 ·
Well, Got the Jeep back. Andre over at Rancho took care of the situation. They forgot to tighten one of the hose clamps on the heater core :rolleyes:, and plug half the stuff back in. Also managed to break the oil pressure sending unit when changing the oil, so they replaced that too.
It's great that it all worked out but it sucks that you have to know a guy that knows a guy to get it done right. It used to be that you paid a premium for dealer service but at least they would know what they were doing. A million years ago, when I worked at a chevy dealer, we were always going to some kind of training.

What can you bring back from the northwest? Apples from Washington and beer and coffee from Oregon. :cheers2:

#11,998 ·

Dude, I'm in a bone stock ZJ and you might be surprised at some of the places I've gotten out of. If I go to LW it's gonna be stock because I don't have the duckets to put the lift on yet. I wouldn't be worried about having a stock wrangler. Most jeeps are at least somewhat capable right out of the box. So as they say in NY "fughedaboudit!"

#11,999 ·
I'm heading up to Washington soon, anyone need anything picked up or dropped off up the I-5 area ?
Say hi to my grandparents in Medford, and my mom and aunt in Grants Pass for me would you?