San Diego Area - Page 595 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #8911
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

So was just talking with Sean the other day about things for the Jeep and was thinking about Dual Batteries. When you get two batteries running do you just use a splitter on the alternator cable? Since I have 2 alternators would it be a good idea to hook both up one for each, since I don't mind weight that much.

This probably won't happen any time soon but just wondering, unless my grandfather im visiting in Florida this week decides to put me to work and pay me with a pair of batteries.

Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #8912
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Looks like ya got an oil leak. That right thar is yur prablem.
eh, its on the list.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #8913
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like rust on the control arm bolt. Should be an easy fix. Since you'll have the bolt off, might as well change the arm out too.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #8914
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked98GC View Post
Looks like rust on the control arm bolt. Should be an easy fix. Since you'll have the bolt off, might as well change the arm out too.
ummmm.....i kinda do have to change the arm, thats what the thing i need to fix is.

(couldnt tell if you were being sarcastic or not) haha

My POS
Quote:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #8915
Vern Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
So was just talking with Sean the other day about things for the Jeep and was thinking about Dual Batteries. When you get two batteries running do you just use a splitter on the alternator cable? Since I have 2 alternators would it be a good idea to hook both up one for each, since I don't mind weight that much.

This probably won't happen any time soon but just wondering, unless my grandfather im visiting in Florida this week decides to put me to work and pay me with a pair of batteries.
Try these guys. Ive been running duel Odessys for about 6 years. Not sure if their set up works with wet cells should though.

http://www.wranglernw.com/

My Website HERE
Vern Britain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #8916
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #8917
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Britain View Post
Try these guys. Ive been running duel Odessys for about 6 years. Not sure if their set up works with wet cells should though.

http://www.wranglernw.com/
I've been thinking about doing the dual battery thing for a while now as well...and I did a bunch of research a while back and I remember reading about the Odysseys having problems lately... I decided to go with the Mean Green setup and Optima yellow tops when I finally pull the trigger on this project. Let me see if I can find some of the links on the subject.

Ok - A quick Google found this - one of the places I saw where people are moving away from the Odysseys.

http://hamjeep.com/nwpdualbatt.htm

Here is an excerpt from that page - it looks like they are recommending exactly what I had decided on as well:

"ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ISSUE - CHANGED RECOMMENDATION

We have made a few changes to our Project Jeep in recent days. One of these was the replacement of the Wrangler NW Dual Battery Tray we have previously recommended.

It is an excellent product, but we encountered some problems with the Odyssey PC-925 batteries required by that tray.

The top terminals on those batteries are supposed to take a small amount of rotation. We found that the small amount they quote apparently exceeds what they will really take.

We had one of our Odyssey batteries fail when the top terminal became disconnected from the plates inside the battery and began to rotate freely.

Some research has found that others have encountered similar issues. It seems that the terminals on the Odyssey PC-925MJT and PC-925LMJT batteries may be too weak for this application.

We still recommend the Wrangler NW Battery Manager.

It is the best way to handle the installation of two batteries in your vehicle.

We also recommend their alternators.

We have one in the Project Jeep and it really helped out when we had the problems with the Odyssey batteries.

We now recommend the Mean Green TJ Dual Battery Tray and two Optima Yellow-Top D34/78 Deep Cycle Batteries.

The following review is included for reference and to show the Wrangler NW Dual Battery Manager..."
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #8918
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post

You don't need dual batteries, unless you are doing a lot of winching with the engine off or some other high draw application. It is not cheap to get it set up properly.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #8919
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pleeeeez help me with my towing problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-flat-towing-problem-595457/
Unread 08-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #8920
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
You don't need dual batteries, unless you are doing a lot of winching with the engine off or some other high draw application. It is not cheap to get it set up properly.
So true...

Basic dual-battery setups:

1. Switch
Uses a heavy-duty battery switch, like on a boat, to switch between batteries; A: Battery 1; B. battery 2; C. Both Batteries. You would have to switch between batteries, and on both batteries would discharge on "both" position.

2. Relay
Similar to the switch method but uses a relay

3. Isolater
Wires in both batteries to charge each and isolates them from one another to prevent sympathetic drain. Isolaters are expensive and don't generally handle vibration and heat well.

You would also need two identical batteries of the same age and usage (basically two new batteries with the same manufacture date).

And after all that, unless you're going way out there by yourself (which we shouldn't do) or winch a LOT or have an insane audio/video system that draws major power, you really don't need two batteries. There's better things to spend money on
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #8921
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
ummmm.....i kinda do have to change the arm, thats what the thing i need to fix is.

(couldnt tell if you were being sarcastic or not) haha
Being sarcastic.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #8922
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Had a great time over the weekend on the trails. I had minor damage that is fixable.

Would have liked to seen Joe D out there but he missed out again.

Maybe next time Joe.
full_moon_run_08-16-08_22.jpg  
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #8923
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Being sarcastic.
thats what i figured, hard to tell without smileys though.

My POS
Quote:
Unread 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #8924
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. Suxs to have all sorts of household chores holding me back.

Good thing is....one of my best friends, along with his family, are coming to San Diego tomorrow to visit me from Washington State (Tacoma area). He's a fellow Jeep fanatic (has a YJ almost exactly like mine), and he was stationed aboard my last ship with me. We go back ~13 years.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #8925
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. I have stuff.

My friend is cleaning out his garage so I went over there today and got a HUGE old chain fall, some roof rack brackets, assorted tools, electric motors and other stuff. But the three key things are a pipe notcher, with a bunch of accessories, a front end alignment gauge and a 5th wheel hitch complete. If I sell any of it I agreed to split it, else it's all mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.