San Diego Area - Page 557 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #8341
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Here are some pictures of the inside of the block taken through the freeze plug holes. They are scary, so proceed with caution. Also a picture of the water pump. The thing looks brand new, along with the clutch and all associated clutch parts.
And didn't you flush it too?

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #8342
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
And didn't you flush it too?
Kinda, but yeah. I actually got quite a bit out and looking in there it is relatively clean compared to before. Of course, that's only what I can see. Who knows whats in the little places everywhere else in the block.

I'm going to pull the oil pan off today and take a peek at the crank, camshaft, the push rods, etc. I'm not gonna lie....I'm nervous.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #8343
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that is scary looking I think i just crapped my pants thinking what mine looks like.

And yeah I think I can manage to stop by tomorrow Jeff, doubt I have any plans. This subtle noise is gonna bother me until I know for sure its coming from in there, or wherever it is.

Though I would find it funny if its just coincidence to the fact I greased all my lube points except the one for the forward drive shaft where it connects to the T-case! But I doubt thats even remotely a possible reason, I started hearing this noise the day i did that and took my doors off, so I bet it was just covered up by the door before since its coming from under the Jeep.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #8344
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Kinda, but yeah. I actually got quite a bit out and looking in there it is relatively clean compared to before. Of course, that's only what I can see. Who knows whats in the little places everywhere else in the block.

I'm going to pull the oil pan off today and take a peek at the crank, camshaft, the push rods, etc. I'm not gonna lie....I'm nervous.
haha nothing to worry about look for major burs in the crank journals and in the rod are where the bearings are. if you got burs then you got some grinding to do on that crank and then of course re balance it. good luck!
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #8345
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is the NV231 the same as the NP231? I was just gliding across sites and sorting parts based on year-make-model and an NV231 came up, and parts for it, under the 1990 Jeep YJ search.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #8346
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Is the NV231 the same as the NP231? I was just gliding across sites and sorting parts based on year-make-model and an NV231 came up, and parts for it, under the 1990 Jeep YJ search.
Yep, one and the same, New Process and New Venture... just different owners of the company. Though there are a few differences between the 231 used in the YJ and TJ, especially between 231s when bolted up to different transmissions and engines.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #8347
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
I greased all my lube points except the one for the forward drive shaft where it connects to the T-case
Angry Sparrows?? Do a search for that, common noise from 231's front shaft, might be your noise. And as Jerry said, NV/NP all the same but there's several differences in the 231 from models and years, mainly in input shafts. That was the hassle Eric went/is going through with his YJ t-case.

And Jason, it's not all that bad considering it's age and how long it sat. You could always have the block cleaned, should be done anyway considering. Several ways to do it; thermal, pressure, sonic... Not that expensive

I am kind of curious about the new water pump, I wonder if it had overheat issues before it was parked. Only real concern would be a plugged gallery and as said the bearings, crank and so on, especially if it got overheated.

but a good cleaning will do wonders, and then a supercharger
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #8348
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
And Jason, it's not all that bad considering it's age and how long it sat. You could always have the block cleaned, should be done anyway considering. Several ways to do it; thermal, pressure, sonic... Not that expensive

I am kind of curious about the new water pump, I wonder if it had overheat issues before it was parked. Only real concern would be a plugged gallery and as said the bearings, crank and so on, especially if it got overheated.

but a good cleaning will do wonders, and then a supercharger
I don't suspect any overheating. Nothing is warped at all. In fact, the head gasket was in great shape. There are a couple new parts in it that surprised me. The clutch and fly wheel, for example, look like they've only a couple thousand miles at most.

One thing that it for sure needs is a good honing out of the cylinders. There are lines on the walls of the block where the pistons were sitting all that time. You can feel the ridge and I'm sure that ate through the piston rings incredibly quick.
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #8349
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I don't suspect any overheating. Nothing is warped at all. In fact, the head gasket was in great shape. There are a couple new parts in it that surprised me. The clutch and fly wheel, for example, look like they've only a couple thousand miles at most.

One thing that it for sure needs is a good honing out of the cylinders. There are lines on the walls of the block where the pistons were sitting all that time. You can feel the ridge and I'm sure that ate through the piston rings incredibly quick.
so have you found a good place to take it to get dipped?
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #8350
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
so have you found a good place to take it to get dipped?
Not yet. Kenyon Machine will rebuild the head for $90. That's putting everything back on that they pull off. If you need anything else they quote you. I haven't called them back to inquire about the block.

If only there was someone here locally, ya know, in the Poway-Rancho Bernardo area that had access to a machine shop that rebuilds engines that would be really great!
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #8351
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Not yet. Kenyon Machine will rebuild the head for $90. That's putting everything back on that they pull off. If you need anything else they quote you. I haven't called them back to inquire about the block.

If only there was someone here locally, ya know, in the Poway-Rancho Bernardo area that had access to a machine shop that rebuilds engines that would be really great!

hey eric, Don't you work at a machine shop with access to everything jason might need? i think a jeep party might be coming up!!
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #8352
StvDiego

Quote:

Lucky on all that, but the ridge(s) could be a problem. The rings would have been bouncing in and out of the ridges, owww. You could try honing it but you may need to go a bit over to even it out, won't know for certain without a micrometer run through it.

So how about a Chrysler LeBaron or other 2.2/2.5L turbo, or maybe a Subaru or other junkyard supercharger...
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #8353
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Lucky on all that, but the ridge(s) could be a problem. The rings would have been bouncing in and out of the ridges, owww. You could try honing it but you may need to go a bit over to even it out, won't know for certain without a micrometer run through it.

So how about a Chrysler LeBaron or other 2.2/2.5L turbo, or maybe a Subaru or other junkyard supercharger...
Jeff was there when the head came off and saw the small ridge. He is more knowledgeable about it and can probably give a better description than I can.

That would be cool. A huge turbo charger and a giant blow off valve to add to the effect!
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #8354
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeff was there when the head came off and saw the small ridge. He is more knowledgeable about it and can probably give a better description than I can.

That would be cool. A huge turbo charger and a giant blow off valve to add to the effect!
You can feel the ridge with a fingernail. Steve is right though, a hone just freshens it up, does not really take away much material.

boring oversize would prob not be worth it. measurement will tell
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #8355
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Angry Sparrows?? Do a search for that, common noise from 231's front shaft, might be your noise. And as Jerry said, NV/NP all the same but there's several differences in the 231 from models and years, mainly in input shafts. That was the hassle Eric went/is going through with his YJ t-case.
Angry Squirrels, Angry Sparrows, Thank God I don't have a V8 or it would be the Angry Octopus!

Any more animal names that are angry in YJs?

Jeff, does that SYE mean you have to upgrade to an electronic Speedometer?

Last edited by Delta347; 06-25-2008 at 03:06 PM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.