San Diego Area - Page 551 - JeepForum.com

 28Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #8251 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Jeebs's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
I posted that up because Jeff is looking for a tow vehicle. The reason full size trucks, SUV's and such are so cheap now is because of fuel prices.

That particular truck is on a dealer lot, and to be honest, I bet it will still be there in the coming weeks. They can't give away those things these days.

Jeebs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8252 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler
 
CRAWLING 98's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SanDago
Posts: 2,545
Hi everyone. I took my Jeep in to ORW and got a four wheel alignment. It drives a bit better but I still think that something is, lets say loose in my suspension and I still have a 'popping' sound while starting out. I will have to look under there again at our next Jeep party.

The cost of a four wheel alignment $100.00 thanks to Adam and his quote.
Thanks Adam.

Is anyone planning on going to Ecology this weekend? Half price sale.. Pipe in...

Group W Bench
CRAWLING 98 is offline  
post #8253 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Delta347
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 1,589
Yeah, If I sounded like i was protesting it I apologize.

That is what like half price for what that truck can go for? If not a third?

I think its a sweet deal from sight and for a tow vehicle I can see, especially from Joe's input, that it would be perfect compared to any average truck.

I <3 diesel, I just wanted to say no wonder its going for cheap because I bet no ordinary people want to buy it >.>

If the Ranger were a more fuel efficient car and I had 11K laying around I would buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
So ghost has a plug in his hole and opihi has a gaping hole, Do I need to worry about this hole at all? I just don't want to start her up and have something spewing out of it.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline  
post #8254 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
Hi everyone. I took my Jeep in to ORW and got a four wheel alignment. It drives a bit better but I still think that something is, lets say loose in my suspension and I still have a 'popping' sound while starting out. I will have to look under there again at our next Jeep party.

The cost of a four wheel alignment $100.00 thanks to Adam and his quote.
Thanks Adam.

Is anyone planning on going to Ecology this weekend? Half price sale.. Pipe in...
I don't need anything except always looking for extra 4.10 axles and durango boxes. I'll go help if you need me.

I was home from work sick for most of today. I hope I am better by the weekend because I really want to get my new d30 put in and take out the d35.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #8255 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 PM
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler
 
CRAWLING 98's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SanDago
Posts: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I don't need anything except always looking for extra 4.10 axles and durango boxes. I'll go help if you need me.

I was home from work sick for most of today. I hope I am better by the weekend because I really want to get my new d30 put in and take out the d35.
Sorry to hear your ill. wish you well.

If your up to it company would be nice at Ecology.

Group W Bench
CRAWLING 98 is offline  
post #8256 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
EJames1226
Registered User
 
EJames1226's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,652
Well today was a fun day.

Wednesday we did the finnishing touches to our engine. Turns out this engine is an antique, there is only 1 left in new condition in the world. This engine is basicly better than factory at this point.


Here the engine was pretty close to being finished. The intake and the exhaust manifolds were just mocked up to make sure everything fit before it was torqued and none of the sheet metal is on, so still had to install the fuel pump, and all the wiring, among other things.


Getting very close to the end, torquing the cylinder heads with my brand new cummins 10-100 ft/lbs 3/8 dr torque wrench.


Proof that i was actually holding a tool in my hands and working.



Came to a stopping point last night after midnight, engine was 99 percent done. Everything was torqued and hooked up. Just needed to build a engine testing setup.


Minutes before firing it up. Engine was hooked up to a battery, wich was hooked up to a ignition switch. It was also hooked up to a fuel tank wich wasnt hooked up in this picture yet. After checking the spark, and checking for fuel, we started it and it fired right up. The thing was loud, even with my ears on. Maybe it was cause the exhaust wasnt hooked up, but it was plenty louder than my jeep. My boss spent the whole entire day on the phone trying to get a hold of the factory to get info on the timing of this engine. This engine is so antique and rare, that the factory couldnt even answer most of our questions.

Anyways, just thought id share. The engine is now on a farm in otay, on a 10 foot tall creepy crawler, powering it to spray bug killer stuff all over a crop of green bell peppers.

Also, a picture of where my new work bench will be. Underneeth the pallet racking.

Damage Initiation Specialist: Eric's Jeep Repair Club, San Diego Chapter
EJames1226 is offline  
post #8257 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Well today was a fun day.

Wednesday we did the finnishing touches to our engine. Turns out this engine is an antique, there is only 1 left in new condition in the world. This engine is basicly better than factory at this point.


Here the engine was pretty close to being finished. The intake and the exhaust manifolds were just mocked up to make sure everything fit before it was torqued and none of the sheet metal is on, so still had to install the fuel pump, and all the wiring, among other things.


Getting very close to the end, torquing the cylinder heads with my brand new cummins 10-100 ft/lbs 3/8 dr torque wrench.


Proof that i was actually holding a tool in my hands and working.


Came to a stopping point last night after midnight, engine was 99 percent done. Everything was torqued and hooked up. Just needed to build a engine testing setup.


Minutes before firing it up. Engine was hooked up to a battery, wich was hooked up to a ignition switch. It was also hooked up to a fuel tank wich wasnt hooked up in this picture yet. After checking the spark, and checking for fuel, we started it and it fired right up. The thing was loud, even with my ears on. Maybe it was cause the exhaust wasnt hooked up, but it was plenty louder than my jeep. My boss spent the whole entire day on the phone trying to get a hold of the factory to get info on the timing of this engine. This engine is so antique and rare, that the factory couldnt even answer most of our questions.

Anyways, just thought id share. The engine is now on a farm in otay, on a 10 foot tall creepy crawler, powering it to spray bug killer stuff all over a crop of green bell peppers.

Also, a picture of where my new work bench will be. Underneeth the pallet racking.
nice work, very stisfying when it fires up after a rebuild.

I really prefer red bell peppers though, speak to the farmer about that will you.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #8258 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
EJames1226
Registered User
 
EJames1226's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I really prefer red bell peppers though, speak to the farmer about that will you.
No


.

Damage Initiation Specialist: Eric's Jeep Repair Club, San Diego Chapter
EJames1226 is offline  
post #8259 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
PR1AWRet
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego/Imperial Beach
Posts: 820
Eric, nice to see you have a good job with a future. Keep up and learn all you can.
PR1AWRet is offline  
post #8260 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
No


.

____________________

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #8261 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Jeebs's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Well, I ran into a brick wall tonight. There is 1 bolt connecting the head to the block that will not break. I've tried everything I know of to get it out. I'm thinking its not a good idea to drill a bolt out that goes through the head into the block. Knowing my luck I'll lean a little one way or another and screw the whole thing.

Tips? Suggestions?
Jeebs is offline  
post #8262 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Well, I ran into a brick wall tonight. There is 1 bolt connecting the head to the block that will not break. I've tried everything I know of to get it out. I'm thinking its not a good idea to drill a bolt out that goes through the head into the block. Knowing my luck I'll lean a little one way or another and screw the whole thing.

Tips? Suggestions?
heat. I don't think you are supposed to re use them anyway

can you cut the head off the bolt?

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #8263 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Jeebs's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
I've tried with a Dremel and, to be honest, its so close the the head that I'm sure I'll nick it. I'll try heat. Do I need a heat gun or will the wife's blow dryer do the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
heat. I don't think you are supposed to re use them anyway

can you cut the head off the bolt?
Jeebs is offline  
post #8264 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
I've tried with a Dremel and, to be honest, its so close the the head that I'm sure I'll nick it. I'll try heat. Do I need a heat gun or will the wife's blow dryer do the trick?
propane, at least.


cut across the head of the bolt as deep as you can, like an X, with the grinder. The head should twist right off then. After you get the engine head off you can heat the bolt down by the threads.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #8265 of 40341 Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Jeebs's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
propane, at least.


cut across the head of the bolt as deep as you can, like an X, with the grinder. The head should twist right off then. After you get the engine head off you can heat the bolt down by the threads.
Damn, don't have that kinda heat.

So from the top, notch and X into the head and then try and twist it off. Ok, well, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'm done out there tonight. I wanted to have the head off so I could pull the valves and valve springs off.

I might head down to ecology this weekend and see if there are any motor/trans combos worth looking at.

Anyone know their prices on that stuff?
Jeebs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
San Diego Meet and Greet, Jan 2nd 11AM Fiesta Island Jeebs SanDiego 243 12-28-2012 06:30 PM
Monster Jam San Diego (January 23rd) Delta347 SanDiego 7 01-09-2010 09:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome