San Diego Area - Page 518 - JeepForum.com
 61Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #7756 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 AM
PR1AWRet
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego/Imperial Beach
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post

Thats ok! I went out and bought some new ones today!
Nice looking tires

PR1AWRet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7757 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Delta347
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Hey Ari. Check your brake fluid, the level might have changed after messing with the shoes. We should bleed it next time anyway just as a best practice.

glad that all worked out

post some pictures of your super duper new radio too.

Now wheel that thing.
Well I'd post pictures but my camera broke some how, must have bumped something hard while it was in my pocket. =(
It will be a while before I can afford another, which is sad, I take pictures all the time hence why I took it everywhere with me. It has well over 2,000 pictures in just its 1 year of life. (the one thing I would send cash to over the jeep)

I do need to bleed the breaks anyways (since the front reservoir is black its so old, but I will definitely check and add some if it went down much.

Gonna try to figure out something for my rearview-mirror....either i need to move the bar more towards the windshield or get a slightly lower mirror, because about 1/3 of my view is blocked by the radio. (which fits perfectly into my tuffy case for safe keeping ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
So ghost has a plug in his hole and opihi has a gaping hole, Do I need to worry about this hole at all? I just don't want to start her up and have something spewing out of it.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline  
post #7758 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Jeebs
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
I ordered a set of EBC yellows.....
What are EBC yellows?
Jeebs is offline  
 
post #7759 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
05moabTJ
Registered User
 
05moabTJ's Avatar
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
What are EBC yellows?
EBC yellow stuff, best disc brake pads for 35" 's , according to blaine and brandsford and others who installed them, so i thought id give em a try.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  5.0 KB

Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,TOYOs 37",TrailReady 17HD Beads,RCV shafts,Yukon 5.13




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
05moabTJ is offline  
post #7760 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Gonna try to figure out something for my rearview-mirror....either i need to move the bar more towards the windshield or get a slightly lower mirror, because about 1/3 of my view is blocked by the radio. (which fits perfectly into my tuffy case for safe keeping ^_^
Try turning the mirror upside down so that the day/night thingie is on top
StvDiego is offline  
post #7761 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Try turning the mirror upside down so that the day/night thingie is on top
I sent you and Jeff a PM regarding the plans for this weekend.
Jeebs is offline  
post #7762 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 04:58 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Well I'd post pictures but my camera broke some how, must have bumped something hard while it was in my pocket. =(
It will be a while before I can afford another, which is sad, I take pictures all the time hence why I took it everywhere with me. It has well over 2,000 pictures in just its 1 year of life. (the one thing I would send cash to over the jeep)

I do need to bleed the breaks anyways (since the front reservoir is black its so old, but I will definitely check and add some if it went down much.

Gonna try to figure out something for my rearview-mirror....either i need to move the bar more towards the windshield or get a slightly lower mirror, because about 1/3 of my view is blocked by the radio. (which fits perfectly into my tuffy case for safe keeping ^_^
I have a nikon coolpix you are welcome to borrow. It is collecting dust in a drawer because it needs tape or a rubber band to hold the battery cover closed. Works fine otherwise.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #7763 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Delta347
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 1,589
All quiet on the boards for almost 6 hours straight.

How was everybody's Mother's Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
So ghost has a plug in his hole and opihi has a gaping hole, Do I need to worry about this hole at all? I just don't want to start her up and have something spewing out of it.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline  
post #7764 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,399
I'm starting to read that in order to flat tow in California LEGALLY you have to have some sort of brake setup on the tow vehicle. They aren't cheap either...somewhere in the $800 range. Anyone heard of this?
Jeebs is offline  
post #7765 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
I'm starting to read that in order to flat tow in California LEGALLY you have to have some sort of brake setup on the tow vehicle. They aren't cheap either...somewhere in the $800 range. Anyone heard of this?
This:

Quote:
If you are towing a car, be sure the hitch attachment on the motor home is secure. Hitch weight ratings are usually stamped on the hitch assemblies. The tow bar attachment is also a concern because of the integrated frame construction used in most small cars. If you use a tow bar, safety chains are required, but a breakaway switch is not. Fully operational tail, brake, and turn signal lights are required on the towed car.
from here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt11.htm

seems to say not required

more

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d13/vc29004.htm

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbolty; 05-11-2008 at 11:49 PM.
jbolty is offline  
post #7766 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
I'm starting to read that in order to flat tow in California LEGALLY you have to have some sort of brake setup on the tow vehicle. They aren't cheap either...somewhere in the $800 range. Anyone heard of this?
Another point of California code confusion... CVC speaks specifically to trailers:

"brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more"

Therein lies the confusion. While the CVC specifically addresses the weight of a "trailer" it doesn't address the weight of a "vehicle" being towed behind another vehicle or RV other than license restrictions; Class A, C etc. and length restrictions (60ft);

"Towing small cars behind motor homes has become popular as a way of providing transportation after the motor home is parked at a camp site. Towing a car differs from towing travel trailers or fifth-wheel trailers. [Emphasis added] Very little hitch weight is involved when the car is towed on all four wheels and only minimal hitch weight is involved when the car is towed on a dolly.

If you wish to tow a vehicle behind your motor home, you need to consider whether or not your motor home can handle the extra weight under all conditions (i.e., climbing steep hills or mountains). Your vehicle must have sufficient power to climb grades without holding up traffic and its braking power must be sufficient to stop the combined weight of the motor home plus the car and/or tow dolly effectively. Motor home chassis manufacturers provide limits on gross combined weight (motor home plus car).
"

See for reference: www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

The confusion is further compounded by, shall we say, confused, sales people who quote the 1500lb limit to sell Brake Buddys and similar systems to RV'ers.

So the bottom line is; CVC says no "trailer coach or camp trailer" (and in other sections of the CVC other trailers over 1500 lbs) over 1500lbs without brakes, it doesn't address weight limits of "vehicles" being towed.

So, in the way things work category, it is not specifically not legal because the law addresses "trailers" specifically so therefore it is not ticketable (similar to lane cutting by motorcycles on the freeway, it is not not legal, so it doesn't get ticketed).

Brake assists not required on towed vehicles. So there

EDIT: Dang Jeff...
StvDiego is offline  
post #7767 of 40913 Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
This:



from here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt11.htm

seems to say not required
Not like that, but more of a brake assist. To help slow/stop the vehicle. Lemme look it up and I'll see what I can find.

NEVERMIND!!! Steve mentioned it already....the Brake Buddy thing. Thats what people are talking about.

So in reading what you posted, it says that the vehicle must have the power to pull it and the power to stop it. I'm assuming that as long as I'm within the tow ratings I'm ok? I need to look at what it is rated to tow without some sort of brake assist on a trailer. That might give me a better idea.

EDIT: The curb weight of a 90 YJ is 3,062 LBS. So with no top, no doors it should be a touch lighter, I'm gonna say 3,000 even. I should be just fine. All cargo is gonna be in the back of the truck.

Curb weight is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (such as motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, and not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

Last edited by Jeebs; 05-12-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Jeebs is offline  
post #7768 of 40913 Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Not like that, but more of a brake assist. To help slow/stop the vehicle. Lemme look it up and I'll see what I can find.

NEVERMIND!!! Steve mentioned it already....the Brake Buddy thing. Thats what people are talking about.

So in reading what you posted, it says that the vehicle must have the power to pull it and the power to stop it. I'm assuming that as long as I'm within the tow ratings I'm ok? I need to look at what it is rated to tow without some sort of brake assist on a trailer. That might give me a better idea.

EDIT: The curb weight of a 90 YJ is 3,062 LBS. So with no top, no doors it should be a touch lighter, I'm gonna say 3,000 even. I should be just fine. All cargo is gonna be in the back of the truck.

Curb weight is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (such as motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, and not loaded with either passengers or cargo.


IIRC my avalanche was rated to tow about 7200# with 350# tongue weight, obviously trailer brakes for anything that big. Your truck shoould be about the same.

here is my new tow rig / money pit

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=23

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbolty; 05-12-2008 at 09:27 AM.
jbolty is offline  
post #7769 of 40913 Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Jeebs
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
IIRC my avalanche was rated to tow about 6000# with 350# tongue weight, obviously trailer brakes for anything that big. Your truck shoould be about the same.

here is my new tow rig/ money pit

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=23
Well, the Nissan is rated to tow 6,300 lbs with 500 lb tongue weight and the Ram can tow some 15,500 lbs and I dunno the tongue weight off the top of my head. Either will work just fine.

Did you buy that truck? It sounds like it may be more of a hassle than anything. "Needs help..."

3 of us should just get together and buy a new 3500 duelly, get $2.99 diesel and get a 5th wheel auto trailer that can hold 3 Jeeps. Problem solved
Jeebs is offline  
post #7770 of 40913 Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Well, the Nissan is rated to tow 6,300 lbs with 500 lb tongue weight and the Ram can tow some 15,500 lbs and I dunno the tongue weight off the top of my head. Either will work just fine.

Did you buy that truck? It sounds like it may be more of a hassle than anything. "Needs help..."

3 of us should just get together and buy a new 3500 duelly, get $2.99 diesel and get a 5th wheel auto trailer that can hold 3 Jeeps. Problem solved
You have lots of good ideas.

zero tongue weight towing a vehicle so it's all good.

If you get this organized before the weekend maybe you can take some of my fireword and the fire pit so I won't have to drag my trailer.

If I thought a head gasket is all it needed I might consider that truck. Thats a strong truck for that money plus the tool body would be handy for all my junk.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
San Diego Meet and Greet, Jan 2nd 11AM Fiesta Island Jeebs SanDiego 243 12-28-2012 06:30 PM
Monster Jam San Diego (January 23rd) Delta347 SanDiego 7 01-09-2010 09:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome