San Diego Area - Page 510 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #7636
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
why not go olde skool?
I agree, why no or are you not doing anything like no more? =P

Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #7637
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
why not go olde skool?
Yea mount ya a couple of these or go HF like Jeff did, how often are you going to do night runs anyway?
1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
How similar is the seat cover you have Steve? Color, How much does it cover, any random things to it? Besides tons of pointless pockets. I'm just considering covers since, the center of my seats aren't leather. Since the majority is, I don't have too much worry about how good the covers are, but cheap ones beat no covers.
Ari, how secure is your top, or your neighborhood? all those pockets full of junk just invites thieves to reach in and grab it. Get a plain ole cover if your seats are worn out.

05moabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #7638
AdamORW
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just in case anyone wants to come out this Saturday...

How to Get There From San Diego Area: Go east on Interstate 8 about 100 miles, almost to El Centro. Take the Dunaway Rd exit, go north (left) to S-80 and turn right (east). Go 4.2 miles to Huff Road and turn left (north). The sign at Huff Rd. is somewhat obscured by trees, so watch closely for it. A power line runs along Huff Rd. Follow Huff Rd. 6.2 miles to Wheeler Road (dirt road) and turn left. You are now going west. Follow Wheeler Road about 7 miles, past a couple of forks to the left. You will enter the Superstition Mtn OHV area after about 2 miles. After about five miles the road will turn to the right and you will be heading approximately due north. The main camping/registration area will be on your left.
Updated Directions as of 1/14/03 How to Get There >From L.A., and Points North: From I-10, just east of Indio, take 86S expressway south. This newly opened route bypasses the center of Indio and Coachella, much faster and nicer with a tow, and now gives a straight shot all the way to Westmorland.
Continue on 86 south to Westmorland. At the stop sign (S. Center), turn right (south). This becomes Forrester Road. Take Forrester Road out of town just past Carter Road to Imler Road. Turn right (west) on Imler Road. Imler will veer south and become Huff Road. There are two dips in the road a mile or so apart. Just over the hill following the second dip is Wheeler Road. Turn right and follow the road next to the hills to camp, about 7 miles.
GPS Co-ordinates for base camp: 32.55.371N 115.48.659W - BASE CAMP
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #7639
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
Ari, how secure is your top, or your neighborhood? all those pockets full of junk just invites thieves to reach in and grab it. Get a plain ole cover if your seats are worn out.
Well how secure is a soft top? Not very.

How secure is the naval housing? Well with a patrol passing the center lot that I park in (which has like 100 other cars surrounding me that aren't guarded) every few minutes I would like to believe secure enough lol. No one has stolen anything yet, the bums don't even come in here. Every house has like 4 buttons that when one of em is pressed MPs show up in like 3 mins supposedly. So yeah lol does that work?
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Unread 05-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #7640
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

5th one down on the list. I just couldn't let that happen any longer.
Unread 05-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #7641
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My 2 cents recommendations

good pallets are generally oak and are great firewood, but do have to be cut up. Rip down the middle with a skillsaw and pull them apart.
Just as a heads-up, some areas have made pallets illegal to use for firewood or to even gring them into BLM lands.

One reason being is that some folks would break them up or burn them whole & leave the nails everywhere for your expensive tires to find.

Ever seen a firepit where ~40-50 pallets have been burned? Lots of nails get scattered & find their way into tires, feet etc.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #7642
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Well how secure is a soft top? Not very.

How secure is the naval housing? Well with a patrol passing the center lot that I park in (which has like 100 other cars surrounding me that aren't guarded) every few minutes I would like to believe secure enough lol. No one has stolen anything yet, the bums don't even come in here. Every house has like 4 buttons that when one of em is pressed MPs show up in like 3 mins supposedly. So yeah lol does that work?
I wonder why the government saw fit to install such overkill security and patrols in your housing area?lol must of been cause everyone is so lawful that you've got buttons everywhere and mp's a few minutes away is my guess. Only mp's i ever saw on my Marine Corps base were at the front gate off of I5, thankfully cause we would of got busted drinking all the time

Unread 05-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #7643
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Just as a heads-up, some areas have made pallets illegal to use for firewood or to even gring them into BLM lands.

One reason being is that some folks would break them up or burn them whole & leave the nails everywhere for your expensive tires to find.

Ever seen a firepit where ~40-50 pallets have been burned? Lots of nails get scattered & find their way into tires, feet etc.
I know what you mean, enough to build a house with sometimes,lol, out at Superstition we found an old axle shaft in our fire pit.

Unread 05-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #7644
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
I wonder why the government saw fit to install such overkill security and patrols in your housing area?lol must of been cause everyone is so lawful that you've got buttons everywhere and mp's a few minutes away is my guess. Only mp's i ever saw on my Marine Corps base were at the front gate off of I5, thankfully cause we would of got busted drinking all the time
I guess they are scared of all the homeless people, that or they are trying to make use of their budget so it don't get cut and no one told them to just stock up on MREs and not MPs.

Maybe the could use the money to make the internet in this place work right, it sucks.
Unread 05-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #7645
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You could start an iron mine with all the nails on fiesta island.

Pallets stink as firewood if whole, with all the air space they burn up in two minutes. If cut up properly they are just oak boards but it's a lot of work.

People are pigs. Just the other day some guy in a suit came out of the 7-11 downtown with a soda bottle, unscrewed the top and tossed it on the ground. I was happy to correct him using a couple of my favorite four letter words and he picked it up.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #7646
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Steve and I met up yesterday to try and hammer out some trail plans. We have a couple options for the day run on Saturday. Do we want to split off and head north and end up near Ocotillo Wells or south and end up near Ocotillo? I forget the names of the 2 trails but I'm sure Steve will jump in and fill us in.

Friday - Set up camp. Steve will be leaving downtown around 4 and should be there fairly early. If we're up to it we can do a quick night run through Rodriguez Canyon. We may also go up Pinyon Mt to the entrance of the squeeze to let Josh check it out. It all depends on how tired people are.

Saturday - Pinyon Mt trail (squeeze, heart attack hill, etc) Depending on whether we go north or south will dictate the rest of the trails

Sunday - Mud caves, diablo dropoff?

As far as food goes we are going to do the breakfast and dinners as a group and lunch you're on your own. We will probably be on the trail somewhere during the lunch times anyway.
Unread 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #7647
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hear you Jeff. I still see folks burning them whole all too often.

I was on my way out from JV recently & there was a full size truck on it's way in with 2 giant stacks of pallets headed to the lakebed. If the ranger catches up with 'em - that'll be an ugly ticket.

I know you are very conscientious and I would never expect you to be guilty of leaving a mess, but since alot of the public seem to think the desert is their own private dumping grounds, we have these types of idiots to deal with.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #7648
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hear you Jeff. I still see folks burning them whole all too often.

I was on my way out from JV recently & there was a full size truck on it's way in with 2 giant stacks of pallets headed to the lakebed. If the ranger catches up with 'em - that'll be an ugly ticket.

I know you are very conscientious and I would never expect you to be guilty of leaving a mess, but since alot of the public seem to think the desert is their own private dumping grounds, we have these types of idiots to deal with.
People just think someone else is going to pick up their trash then they wonder why areas get closed.

A few years ago I had to replace some of the old cedar boards on my roof. I saved the scraps and eventually took them to fiesta island for a bonfire. Some of the old pieces still had bits of tar paper stapled to them but I did not give it any thought. Once the fire got going those little pieces put out so much black smoke that it looked like a plane had crashed. Fortunatey it was getting dark so I did not get into trouble for it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #7649
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jeff I think your chicken wing grease was the best fire additive ever. After our spontaneous night run through some trails it got cold and that grease was so hot, to bad it burns up so fast.

Unread 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #7650
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone recognize:
619-767-8869

I got a random text saying: "I need to talk to you asap"

Replied saying "Who is this?"

3 hours later no response. No one i know is familiar with the number thus far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.