San Diego Area - Page 505 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #7561
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Hold the phone, maybe I can use yours. I bought a YJ D30 last week because it had 4.11 in it and I am planning to regear it to 4.56.

There is more to the story but short version is that a D30 with 4.56 is what I need.
Would you just remove the guts from his or would you cut and weld new mounts?

I get first crack at the aussie. Wait a sec....are the aussie's gear specified too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker92104 View Post
I use the permatex aviation stuff. I use it with a gasket, and have never had a leak. Compared to the RTV that I feel like I had to re-do at least one out of three times. It's much easier to apply too. Applies with a brush that is included. I call it space goop.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ant+-+Aviation
Haha! I'll have to check out the space goop. That bottle looks like a decent size. How many applications would you say you could get out of it?

Unread 05-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #7562
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
We're doing the dry camping in Blair Valley. Nothing there but dirt.

I'm hoping the weather cools a bit though. I'm not gonna be feeling to enthusiastic about going when its 95+ out there...

so your saying i need to bring the generator and flood lights! Alright! well according to the news we might see a drizzle this week.
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #7563
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I get first crack at the aussie. Wait a sec....are the aussie's gear specified too?
No they are carrier specific, D30 is all that's needed.

05moabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #7564
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a D30 for a TJ in my pickup that is free to the first person who comes and grabs it!!!! Ready to bolt in!
Jason,

I will get over and pick up that axle tomorrow afternoon/evening. Sorry that I forgot to get it sooner.

Jimmy
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #7565
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Haha! I'll have to check out the space goop. That bottle looks like a decent size. How many applications would you say you could get out of it?
I bought the D30 last week because it had 4.11 and I WAS going to find an 8.8 with 4.11 to match. Now I bought that other rear axle that has 4.56 (which I think is a better ratio for me anyway) So the plan now is to regear my new front axle to 4.56.

All that needs to happen now is for Paul to get a new front axle and give me his. Kind of like the old wife swapping parties. Everyone takes off their front axle and then draw numbers to see who gets which one.

Aussie's do not care about gearing. But based on Ari's experience last week with side gears there may be some differences in carious carriers that we don't know about.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #7566
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hold the phone, maybe I can use yours. I bought a YJ D30 last week because it had 4.11 in it and I am planning to regear it to 4.56.

There is more to the story but short version is that a D30 with 4.56 is what I need.
Here are my options:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true

http://www.agearworks.com/DANA44AXLES.html

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/71715

Anywhere from $2K to $2500, but thats with new everything,and bolt right in. Unless I strip one out of a Rubicon, but would still have to regear it $$$. So unless I get a bunch of money out of my D30 to help dent the cost I am just going to build the little guy up. Only thing its missing really is a matching set of Superior shafts which aren't far away. Here is my D30 build cost $70 for my riddler cover thanks to Cory, $240 for my Aussie, $000.00 for my 4.56 gears thanks to 4wheelparts, and a future cost for Superior axle shafts and seals $500, unless Jimmy can sponsor me , so around $800ish with me doing my own labor.

Unread 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #7567
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
All that needs to happen now is for Paul to get a new front axle and give me his. Kind of like the old wife swapping parties. Everyone takes off their front axle and then draw numbers to see who gets which one.
I like ya man, but not enough to give it away

Unread 05-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #7568
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
I like ya man, but not enough to give it away
I would guess it's worth $200 - $500 if you find the right buyer
Unread 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #7569
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well you kind of saw Joes D30 all built up go where ever he wants it to go, at least i saw some good pics of it wheelin, if you build a D30 up right it works just fine. So unless I explode it ,I'm keepin it.

Unread 05-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #7570
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
Well you kind of saw Joes D30 all built up go where ever he wants it to go, at least i saw some good pics of it wheelin, if you build a D30 up right it works just fine. So unless I explode it ,I'm keepin it.
That's my plan too, plenty strong. If could find one with 4.56 for cheap it would save the re-gear though. Nothing comes with 4.56 though.

The YJ D30 I got is out of a 1995 so it is supposed to have bigger ujoints then the previous years.

funny that the D30 is pretty strong but they mated it to the matchstick D35.
Unread 05-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #7571
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
funny that the D30 is pretty strong but they mated it to the matchstick D35.
Was that D35 engineered during the gas/energy crisis? where all vehicles tried to be more fuel efficient and get more miles per gallon or was it to keep the weight of the vehicle down or what?

Unread 05-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #7572
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
key words , right buyer, I sold my 44 shafts to a guy in OC for $100 and he came to me and picked them up, a guy on ebay sells complete 30s with less than mine has in it for $700.

Anyone need rear seat belts, I took them completely out since my rear seat has been out since i bought it. They will be on ebay if not.

Unread 05-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #7573
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I don't think you're going to want it. Here's why.

If it's the one in his TJ, it's a low pinion D30, not a high pinion D30 like the one you have in your Jeep.

The TJ LPD30 have the coil buckets, upper & lower control arm mounts, plus, the shock mounts are different and the tracbar mount is different.

Yeah, you'd get rid of the vacuum disco & have TJ shafts/ujoints, but that's about the only benifits.

Plus, if that's not enough, the knuckles are not the same either - so a knuckle swap would possibly be in order or a different steering set-up would need to be installed on your YJ.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #7574
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I don't think you're going to want it. Here's why.

If it's the one in his TJ, it's a low pinion D30, not a high pinion D30 like the one you have in your Jeep.

The TJ LPD30 have the coil buckets, upper & lower control arm mounts, plus, the shock mounts are different and the tracbar mount is different.

Yeah, you'd get rid of the vacuum disco & have TJ shafts/ujoints, but that's about the only benifits.

Plus, if that's not enough, the knuckles are not the same either - so a knuckle swap would possibly be in order or a different steering set-up would need to be installed on your YJ.
Thanks for the info. I don't need more projects.

There is a guy selling a pair of axles out of a full size ford truck for cheap on CL. I could go with the W I D E look, but would not fit thru the squeeze.

Last edited by jbolty; 05-05-2008 at 07:32 AM..
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #7575
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
Jason,
I will get over and pick up that axle tomorrow afternoon/evening. Sorry that I forgot to get it sooner.

Jimmy
Ha, I forgot about that one. Here I am thinking that Jason is the axle dealer.

Jimmy, You can store it here if you want. I need to build a rack to sit my new ones on too.

FYI. Ari is coming over wednesday evening to do a little work. If anyone else needs some light repair or just wants to chew the fat stop by.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.