San Diego Area - Page 501 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #7501
AdamORW
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Does anyone know how many teeth the drive gear in a stock t-case for a YJ has?

I've been looking for a little under an hour and can't find anything online.

Its the only thing I need to know to figure out the crazy calculation for the new driven gear. (the speedometer thing)
Delta what size tires do you have and what gear ratio are you running?

Unread 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #7502
StvDiego

Quote:
Does anyone know how many teeth the drive gear in a stock t-case for a YJ has?

I've been looking for a little under an hour and can't find anything online.

Its the only thing I need to know to figure out the crazy calculation for the new driven gear. (the speedometer thing)
Stock gear depends on the factory tire size and axle gear ratio. Here's a chart, one of many, search for "jeep speedo gear", you'll find a gazillion, all the same basic thing tho

http://jeepsunlimited.com/zj/speedo/speedo.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamORW View Post
STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE! are you coming with us on sunday?
Not sure if I can run up Bronco Peak, my rear tire carrier is barely hanging on as it, but may come out and watch the carnage and strip down any Jeeps that get mangled, I'm sure I could find some good parts
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #7503
snowboarder61

hey guys.... Just saying hi from seattle area.... i might be possibly moving down to san diego area sometime in august.... actually i think oceanside is where me and a buddy might be looking for a place.. We are going to be heading down in june to check out apartments/jobs and whatnot....

Got a couple questions for you guys.....

is there a decent amount of wheeling areas down there?
how hard it is to find jobs down there?
If any of you have moved there from out of state, how tough are the emissions to pass? my grand passes easily up here in washington.. do they do a visual inspection when transfering over into california?

Any places to check out/stay away from work/living wise down there?

thanks for any info you guys can send my way and hope to eventually meet some of you guys if everything works out right!

Thanks!
Brandon
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #7504
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder61 View Post
hey guys.... Just saying hi from seattle area.... i might be possibly moving down to san diego area sometime in august.... actually i think oceanside is where me and a buddy might be looking for a place.. We are going to be heading down in june to check out apartments/jobs and whatnot....

Got a couple questions for you guys.....

is there a decent amount of wheeling areas down there?
how hard it is to find jobs down there?
If any of you have moved there from out of state, how tough are the emissions to pass? my grand passes easily up here in washington.. do they do a visual inspection when transfering over into california?

Any places to check out/stay away from work/living wise down there?

thanks for any info you guys can send my way and hope to eventually meet some of you guys if everything works out right!

Thanks!
Brandon
Hey there! If you love the outdoors you will love it down here. Don't expect nearly the same amount of rainfall. In fact, your gonna laugh at the event they make a little sprinkle into on the news.

Anyway, to answer your questions!

1: Oceanside is nicknamed Oceanslime. I personally wouldn't move there for a number of reasons, one being the fact that its basically on top of Camp Pendleton. You got jarheads everywhere!

2: There are plenty of places to wheel. Mostly rocks though.

3: I moved here from Arizona in '06 and everything about moving here sucks ***. You have to pay a stupid amount of fees to the DMV and all the vehicles need to be smogged. Its not impossible to do but they don't do anything to make it easy on you. The visual is a quick odometer check but nothing extreme.

4: Like I said, I wouldn't live in Oceanside but its definitely not as bad as some areas. I personally wouldn't live anywhere south of MCAS Miramar or east of the 67/125 freeways. Its mostly personal preference. I like the area that the locals call "North County." Obviously the closer to the coast you are, the more expensive. Steve (Stvdiego) really enjoys living in downtown. Ask him more about that.

5: Work is there if you want it. Do you flip burgers at McDonald's or are you a defense contractor?

If you are getting ready to head down to check it out let us know. I'm sure someone would be happy to show you around and we could probably arrange a run too!

EDIT: Videos of us from Corral Canyon. This place is very close and a fun run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmE86FJyo3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59_lAyBKRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie5l5YNd1R0
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #7505
snowboarder61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Hey there! If you love the outdoors you will love it down here. Don't expect nearly the same amount of rainfall. In fact, your gonna laugh at the event they make a little sprinkle into on the news.

Anyway, to answer your questions!

1: Oceanside is nicknamed Oceanslime. I personally wouldn't move there for a number of reasons, one being the fact that its basically on top of Camp Pendleton. You got jarheads everywhere!

2: There are plenty of places to wheel. Mostly rocks though.

3: I moved here from Arizona in '06 and everything about moving here sucks ***. You have to pay a stupid amount of fees to the DMV and all the vehicles need to be smogged. Its not impossible to do but they don't do anything to make it easy on you. The visual is a quick odometer check but nothing extreme.

4: Like I said, I wouldn't live in Oceanside but its definitely not as bad as some areas. I personally wouldn't live anywhere south of MCAS Miramar or east of the 67/125 freeways. Its mostly personal preference. I like the area that the locals call "North County." Obviously the closer to the coast you are, the more expensive. Steve (Stvdiego) really enjoys living in downtown. Ask him more about that.

5: Work is there if you want it. Do you flip burgers at McDonald's or are you a defense contractor?

If you are getting ready to head down to check it out let us know. I'm sure someone would be happy to show you around and we could probably arrange a run too!

EDIT: Videos of us from Corral Canyon. This place is very close and a fun run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmE86FJyo3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59_lAyBKRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie5l5YNd1R0
Well being that we are still getting snow on the roads over the mountains, i wouldn't mind getting away from the rainfall for a couple of years... lol

Good to know about oceanside though... we are no where near set on there.. so far, we have only checked out places online and are looking to spend probably around 1200-14/5 ish for a decent 2 bedroom apartment... that seem pretty fair for the area down there? i honestly have no idea what housing goes for down there besides looking online, but usually that's not the best resource.... i know my buddy would prefer to be in san diego, i don't really have a preference...

As far as wheeling, my 93 grand has a RE 3.5 superflex lift on it, with some 31" BFG AT's and open D35/D30... it's pretty much a mallcrawler right now as i don't do much wheeling up here but i have a HPD30 planning on going in and starting the building after that hopefully as far as axles go... eventually i will go higher....

For the visual, my only thing i have to worry about is i cut off the cat, but will probably replace the exhaust and get a cat put back on.... i had a plugged cat and just cut it off temp. but my dad for some reason decided to dispose of it... lol

Work wise, I have been driving Semi-trucks for the past year and a half, i have driven forklift for alittle over 2 years experience, have worked in a steel foundry, been a garbage man, and a few other things.... and i'm not even 25...

It just seems as i've grown out of this state, and looking to find something new... california seems like it is very appealing and the last time i was down there for reasons other than work, i was only 5..

I won't be bringing my jeep down in june, but tentatively i am looking at the 18th to the 26th.... we are taking my buddy's car to save on gas alot... I may have to give a shout and see if some of you locals can show us around a bit!

Brandon
snowboarder61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #7506
slacker92104

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder61 View Post

Good to know about oceanside though... we are no where near set on there.. so far, we have only checked out places online and are looking to spend probably around 1200-14/5 ish for a decent 2 bedroom apartment... that seem pretty fair for the area down there? i honestly have no idea what housing goes for down there besides looking online, but usually that's not the best resource.... i know my buddy would prefer to be in san diego, i don't really have a preference...

www.sdreader.com will have some of the best info on cheap rentals.
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #7507
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Camping trip, weekend of May 16-18 or May 23-25? Aqua Caliente campground, run Pinyon Mt, visit mud caves, do some touristing?
I'm thinking that the 16-18 will be better for me. We need to start doing some "official" planning though.
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #7508
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamORW View Post
Delta what size tires do you have and what gear ratio are you running?
I am at 32inches for tires. Stock T-case (had a 30 tooth driven gear for the speedo). And a 4banger YJ's axles at 4.11.

I did the whole Driven gear = Drive Gear Teeth x Axle Ratio DIVIDED BY Tire Size in miles per inch X PI (3.14) X Speedo Rev count (1000?) Gave me a 32....but thats guessing based on the original 30s and 3.73 that it has 14 tooth drive gear which seems low..to me.

Steve says 37 teeth for the speedo gear.

A calculator online said 34.

One chart said 32....sigh.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #7509
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok just read over that site Steve posted. It says 35 teeth.

Should I just stop by the Kragen or Evans Tire that are like friggin 3 blocks from my house and ask them?

Or follow jason's advice and guesstimate for the rest of my life...I would like to know when my jeep hits certain miles on the odometer is all. Knowing exact speed is just a, comfort thing.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #7510
StvDiego

Quote:
Now you know how I feel.

By chance do you know... (I researched it but feel I might have read the formula and chart wrong).

On the transfer case there is that gear connected to the cable that goes to the Speedometer and Odometer. Now I went from 3.73 and 30inches to 4.11 and 32inches.My stock pinion was 30 teeth, I put in a 32 tooth pinion. Was I supposed to go up? Or did i mess up and need a smaller pinion?

According to that driven gear = drive gear*ratio / tire size in miles * Pi(3.14) * speedometer rev # I need 33ish so... a 32 should be fine? otherwise a 34 would be just as much over i suppose.

I think you think too much

A sampling of on-line Jeep speedo gear charts, tooth counts for 231 t-case, 4:11 gears, 32" tires:

Quadratec ----- 37

Raingler---------37

RedRock4X4-----37

JeepsUnilimted---35

GotJeep.net-----35

JeepForum.com--37

4X4Xplor--------37

Jeepin.com------37

AllJeep.com-----35

Shall I go on?

Majority recommends 37 tooth, a few go with 35 tooth. either way, you'll get close, you will never, in your wildest dreams, get it exactly right.

Pick one, 35 or 37 or just live with what ya got. Get a stop watch, head out I-8 East or I-5 South (South Bay) where the speedometer check signs are posted, one mile at 60mph will take one minute and do the math from there to get your true mph.

And never upgrade to 33's.
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #7511
StvDiego

Paul and Jason were talking about a run on Sunday. I'm pondering going out to Corral Canyon Sunday, I was invited to run the Bronco Peak Connector, not sure my rear tire carrier is up to it. (Paul might be interested in going, it's about the toughest run you're going to find around here). If I can get my bumper re-attached enough so I know it won't fall off I may give it a go or just go out and watch the carnage. Other problem is they want to meet at Four Corners at 7am, I'm not sure the sun comes up that early on Sundays. Or, we could run up Bronco Peak again, maybe go backwards the way Paul and I went out... or run somewhere else...or save the gas money for the 16-18th...

Second item:

Sounds like May 16-18 is good for a camping trip so far. I'm looking at Aqua Caliente campground (Hot showers, bathrooms and a spa - keep the wives happy). We could get two camp sites next to each other, we can put two tents or a tent and RV on each, get a third spot if needed. Each site has water and electricity. There is a fee for extra vehicles, somewhere in the $2-$5 range, RV/Tent sites are $20/night or $15/night for a single tent only site. We can split the costs on RV/Tent sites.

Or, we could dry camp at Blair Valley, no services, but no charge either.

From either place we could run Pinyon Mt (Squeeze, Heart Attack Hill, Sandstone Canyon, Diablo Dropoff, Vallecito Creek, Canyon Sin Nombre - rocks, dirt, rocks, mud, rocks). We could also tour the mudcaves, old stage stops, Indian paintings, show Ari some spots he wanted to see for a film project, and sit by a campfire and

Let me know your preferences or if you have other suggestions. If we stay at the campground we should reserve spots as soon as possible. The campground closes at the end of the month for the summer and tends to fill up quick the last couple of weekends. Blair Valley is no problem, just pull up and camp. But again, no services.

Which brings a couple of more options; We could all dry camp and if wanted get a day pass for the campground, $5/vehicle, which allows use of the showers, spa(s) and such, or, some could campground with the amenities, some could dry camp and we can meet at a trailhead or dry campers could get a day pass (the campground is >15mins from Blair Valley on the S-2).

Ok, confused??
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #7512
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why can't they just make my life easy and make a 36 tooth one -_-

Oh well. I'll take the 35 i suppose, better to say im going a little faster than a little slower....

And i never want 33 inch tires, I meant 33 tooth gear.

I am pleased with my 32 Inch Tires, just need to clean up that scar on the back right rim, RIP Rubicon Rim.
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #7513
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkur92 View Post
No, just super busy. My boat should be <snip>

I am never buying another boat. I thought my jeep was a money pitt, this thing is 10x the money pitt.
Boat = $,$$$

B = Break
O = Out
A = Another
T = Thousand

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #7514
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
Ok so Jason and Josh and myself want to wheel, that only leaves Steve and Jimmy, Cory, Dan, Brandon, Nate, Premo, Joe, etc.... come on guys, lets do a big run this Sunday.
I'd LOVE to......but....I have at a minimum a 3.5 hour drive on Sunday (if I hit zero traffic) to get back up to Oxnard/Ventura again & I really don't want to start that drive after ~1:00PM. It took me ~4 hours after I left Jasons last weekend to get here.

Also, this is my last weekend to work on my junk before I go on a 9 day wheelin' trip the following weekend.

I know - lame excuses.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #7515
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Paul and Jason were talking about a run on Sunday. I'm pondering going out to Corral Canyon Sunday.....Other problem is they want to meet at Four Corners at 7am, I'm not sure the sun comes up that early on Sundays.
I won't be making it this weekend. I have Disneyland tomorrow and the Wild Animal Park on Saturday. Sunday is R/R.

7:00 AM doesn't exist on Sundays either.

Quote:
Second item:

Sounds like May 16-18 is good for a camping trip so far.

Ok, confused??
I'm down with dry camping. Kim won't be coming along so I'll be rocking the tent solo. Plus Blair Valley is supposed to be pretty sweet at night. If we are going that weekend I need to start getting my rig prepped for towing. Its either that or get the lift springs....or somehow swing both....

Who would be up for it??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.