San Diego Area - Page 495 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #7411
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
I'm thinking the idea is to repair the axle he bought the other day?? Should just need brakes on the one side and stick it up under there. Could be a short-term solution to get going.

I'm voting for either stealing Joe's trailer for a couple of hours and bring it over to Jason's where we can work on it, or Jason going out and buying a trailer and taking back it to his place. We could at least get some more hands in there and have access to more tools and resources.

If nothing else, we could strip it down and then claim it was stolen...
I think Joe told Jason he could borrow the trailer. Definately in favor of getting it where we can work in peace.

If it were me, I would just find some gears locally. The tube on that new axle might be bent because the end of the shaft got snapped off in an accident.

Long term plan could be to take damaged that D35 and make it into an upgrade project, or an anchor for Kory's boat.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #7412
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I think Joe told Jason he could borrow the trailer. Definately in favor of getting it where we can work in peace.

If it were me, I would just find some gears locally. The tube on that new axle might be bent because the end of the shaft got snapped off in an accident.

Long term plan could be to take damaged that D35 and make it into an upgrade project, or an anchor for Kory's boat.
well if you guys need a vehicle to tow his jeep just let me know i can give him a tow to jason's if that's the location for the price of a nice steak burrito i think we can make it a deal.
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #7413
StvDiego

Quote:

Would be good to get it over there, Ari.... it would be a lot easier to deal with it there...

The damaged axle may work or at minimum it might be worth throwing some cheap, free, spare, leftover parts as an emergencyl spare YJ axle. I'd like to have an extra one laying around just for things like this. I have spare TJ front and rear axles, alas, no square headlight ones. Maybe we could score a free one off somebody or at least keep one after somebody upgrades...
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #7414
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So what has been your experience? I have to believe that the types of vehicles in demand might be different in the big city.
I first started crawling around junkyards in the mid '70's in LA where I lived at the time. As I have moved around, I have had several different cars & used whatever junkyard was closest. That is, until the internet became so user friendly where you could serch 1,000's of jy's with the click of a few buttons.

I have used/searched out of state jy's to locate parts for myself & for many friends using the internet.

I also have a friend who use to sell 8.8's across the entire country by locating them in jy's & having them shipped to wherever the buyer was located. He simply found them, paid the jy for them after receiving the $ from the buyer, then had the junkyards ship 'em. He was just a middle man making $ with the click of his mouse for the most part.

You might be right about demand in the bigger cities. With the use of the internet & searching jy inventories so easily & comparing costs, I would think that the gaps in demand of city may be less than before.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #7415
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeff, want to throw yet another thanks your way.

I called that Gear place off of Ronson. They said they have had a case like mine before and Do have YJ gears and that I can either buy new ones based off the locker diameter (assuming i bring it in with me). Or I can have the sides from the second axle downsized or ground down, it was hard to hear.

I figure I would be best to just buy new ones, and discover what this axle I bought is geared for and repair the brakes on it (what i was asking for, though I will probably buy the kit for my own axle as well).

If we want to move the Jeep at this point, I am willing to do that. I will make the detour onto the 805 tmrw to drop by the axle shop to get the right parts. Any votes on which of those I should do?

EDIT: Just got an email from the PO:

"I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues. I bought the rear 35 off
of a guy that had a 4cyl that came with stock 4:11 gears; he had
installed the locker. I don't know anything else besides that; I'd
never even taken off the rear diff cover. Good luck!"
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #7416
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Found this at Costco if anyone is interested.

Unread 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #7417
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wish my tires were inflated. Im the only one who is still running flat from corral canyon ^_^
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #7418
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, Jason & I traded a few PM's concerning my trailer and we also traded some info concerning if he were to get one of his own.

Here's a portion of one of my PM's I wrote to Jason concerning my past experiance lending my trailer out & me getting screwed.

Quote:
I have been burned 3 times by allowing "friends" to borrow my trailer.

First time it cost me ~$650.00 in repairs & other expenses to lend it to this so called friend. I got it back with 2 totally flat tires (one was shreded), 1 ruined tail light, 1 ruined marker light, and he kept it for an extra 9 days with his Jeep on it so I couldn't get it back. Additionally, I missed going on a wheeling trip to Moab that I had planned for almost a year. I lost my campground deposit, and my vacation to Moab was ruined, and I was furious.

Second time it cost me ~$280.00 in repairs. I got it back with a flat tire, and a missing spare tire & wheel.

Third time I got it back with ~$220.00 in repairs. It had 2 toasted wheel bearings (he took it cross country & never greased the wheel bearings after I told him it was a requirement BEFORE he used it), a lost safety chain, a broken tail light (totally missing, must have hit something).

Load Range D, trailer use only tires are not cheep, even at Discount Tire (~$140 each +M&B).

So far, it has cost me ~$1,150.00 for me to "loan" my trailer out. Not including my time to get it back in a useable state again before I can use it. Everytime I got it back, the guys had some sort of lame excuse why nothing is their fault & that they accidentally broke the lights, burned the wheel bearings etc. Basically, they all said it was my problem. I have written these guys off as friends.

Still wanna borrow it?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #7419
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Apparently Joe forgot what the "P" was in PM....

Unread 04-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #7420
StvDiego

Which is why I said, let's just steal the trailer while Joe's out of town

So on the funny side of things, from the Joan Krok Salvation Army down off University, the place of opportunity...
whatakroc.jpg  
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #7421
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had a great time yesterday! Glad we got some of the nagging things (Steve's bump stops) fun things (Josh's lift) and the important things (Jeff's cup holders) completed. Dinner was great, the bacon wrapped filets really hit the spot. For those that left early, you really missed out.

Here are a few snapshots from yesterdays festivities!

Unread 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #7422
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the link to all of the pictures along with some 'before and afters'

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...albumview=grid

Josh's Jeep

BEFORE

AFTER

Steve

BEFORE

AFTER

Unread 04-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #7423
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

hahah bacon wrapped filets... i must have been at the wrong house hhmm....
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #7424
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Naw, I just dropped-in.

Too bad you're not looking for a TJ D35 w/ARB 4.56 gears & Super 35 kit. This is being sold by a guy I know (aquaintence).

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=893846
OK. Just called and closed the deal on this.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #7425
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
OK. Just called and closed the deal on this.
I'll be in Anaheim on Friday if you need it picked up from LA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.