San Diego Area - Page 461 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #6901
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler
 
CRAWLING 98's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: , Kalifornia
Posts: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
So I need some input on an engine swap. I have a 4.0 MPI engine out of an XJ. Problem is that its an '88. Anyone have an idea how I could sneak this past good ol' DMV?
Jason, If you really want to change out the 2.5 to 4.0 you will need to change out allot of stuff including the wires and computer brain, drive train, etc.

It can be done, but of course, its always better to just get another Jeep with 4.0 install already.

__________________
Group W Bench
CRAWLING 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #6902
05moabTJ
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
So....by late May or early June I'm sure JV will be HOT. Phoenix HOT.
I know Phoenix HOT, I was born and raised there, lived a couple of years in Tucson to. When you go to JV I'd like to tag along, I should have a rear locker in by then.
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,TOYOs 37",TrailReady 17HD Beads,RCV shafts,Yukon 5.13



05moabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #6903
Jeebs
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Jason, what is your thoughts now, seeing as the junkyards aren't supplying so far? thoughts on that whole selling the 35 >.>

I only push because my grandpa + uncle are considering remodeling two of our condos, and I have a feeling they told me because they will want the truck. So having the Jeep working would be nice, I personally don't want to use the Crown Vic, but can if things look to uncertain at this point, which Im guessing they are.
Well, lets see what happens this weekend at Ecology and go from there. If one is found then we can go ahead, if not I'd say its back to craigslist.
__________________
San Diego Group
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #6904
Jeebs
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
Jason, If you really want to change out the 2.5 to 4.0 you will need to change out allot of stuff including the wires and computer brain, drive train, etc.

It can be done, but of course, its always better to just get another Jeep with 4.0 install already.
You sure are pushing the TJ.... In order for something like that to happen I'd have to sell the truck and the YJ. If only I could talk that guy down the street into giving me a sweet deal on that Rubicon
__________________
San Diego Group
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #6905
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
I see Mr Blane as the spotter.. or is he laughing at you..

Can I go shotgun next time??? whao And I will bring extra underwear.
Opps, sorry I forgot to respond to this.

Yeah, that's Blaine. He was going to operate the winch incase I needed it.

Sure, you're more than welcome.

If you want to go to Colorado & Moab with me, that'd be fine too, if you can take a week off work.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #6906
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
I know Phoenix HOT, I was born and raised there, lived a couple of years in Tucson to. When you go to JV I'd like to tag along, I should have a rear locker in by then.
Cool. From Temecula it should be ~2-2.5 hour drive, which isn't too bad. Once you're in Yucca Valley, you're ~20 miles from Boone Rd which is the entry road I take. Then it's ~2.5 miles north on the sandy dirt road.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #6907
Delta347
Web Wheeler
 
Delta347's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 1,579
Ok I though what Joe did was intense offroading,

and people who had submarines from how much they modded their jeeps,

sorry y'all but after watching "The Deadliest Catch" on Discover Channel...

Those shallow streams and big puddles i loved speeding through...just don't seem the same.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
So ghost has a plug in his hole and opihi has a gaping hole, Do I need to worry about this hole at all? I just don't want to start her up and have something spewing out of it.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #6908
Jeebs
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Jimmy, Steve and any other Nascar nuts -

I scanned in some pictures of my last Nascar event. It was in '02 and I was in the pit and hit the Hollywood Hotel. I have a ton more but am getting tired. It was a crappy camera as you can tell. Oh, and whoever drives the Lowe's car won that day.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...Nascar%202002/



__________________
San Diego Group
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #6909
grandpapy
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
Jason, If you really want to change out the 2.5 to 4.0 you will need to change out allot of stuff including the wires and computer brain, drive train, etc.

It can be done, but of course, its always better to just get another Jeep with 4.0 install already.
not exactly you can order a wiring harness for his model jeep with the I6 engine from painless wiring should run between 300-400 bucks and the computer you can pick up at your local kragen or autozone shop refurbish one's run from 150-200. The only real problem i see is the trans i don't know if his will work and according to the XJ forum sounds like the one from the 2 wheel drive xj wont work but if it had the heavy duty tow package we could be lucky there. besides maybe shortening drive line components such as the shaft i think that's really all he needs i mean he does have a donor vehicle for all the stuff we might need. but it can be a costly switch the question you have to ask is it really worth spending money in putting it in your ride or can you find a ride like your's or better with the six in it? and with the slow car market how long will it take to sell your old ride? you could trade the truck in for a used dealer certified wrangler be like an even trade then you can get rid of both your problems.
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #6910
grandpapy
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 625
Alright guys so i just got the word, the shocks are coming in tomorrow woooohooooo so jason i'm not sure what your doing friday, but i'd love to get the lift in how's your schedule look?


edit: oh forgot were going to need some high lift jacks... steve jimmy think you might be able to help out this weekend too?

Last edited by grandpapy; 04-14-2008 at 11:12 AM..
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #6911
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
not exactly you can order a wiring harness for his model jeep with the I6 engine from painless wiring should run between 300-400 bucks and the computer you can pick up at your local kragen or autozone shop refurbish one's run from 150-200. The only real problem i see is the trans i don't know if his will work and according to the XJ forum sounds like the one from the 2 wheel drive xj wont work but if it had the heavy duty tow package we could be lucky there. besides maybe shortening drive line components such as the shaft i think that's really all he needs i mean he does have a donor vehicle for all the stuff we might need. but it can be a costly switch the question you have to ask is it really worth spending money in putting it in your ride or can you find a ride like your's or better with the six in it? and with the slow car market how long will it take to sell your old ride? you could trade the truck in for a used dealer certified wrangler be like an even trade then you can get rid of both your problems.

Doing it is the easy part. Getting it passed for smog is the hard part and an engine that is older than the vehicle wil not get through, no way no how.

For a successful swap here in CA you need the proper year and type of engine, the full wiring harness including the original computer, evap canister, the works. Plus, it really helps to have the original EPA sticker and the VIN from the donor vehicle.

I did a lot of research on this before deciding to rebuild my motor.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #6912
grandpapy
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 625
so i was thinking about putting an electric fan in the jeep and i know some of you guys have switched from mechanical to electric already and i was wondering what kind of switch you're usuing to trigger the fans to come on and where did you get them. I'll be usuing a 1995 Ford Taurus electric fan.
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #6913
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
so i was thinking about putting an electric fan in the jeep and i know some of you guys have switched from mechanical to electric already and i was wondering what kind of switch you're usuing to trigger the fans to come on and where did you get them. I'll be usuing a 1995 Ford Taurus electric fan.
You will need some kind of a temp controlled switch, either a radiator probe type or one that goes in the water jacket. I have the radiator probe type and have been happy with it.

You will also need relays since the fan draws a lot of power.

Remind me to show you my setup.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #6914
grandpapy
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
You will need some kind of a temp controlled switch, either a radiator probe type or one that goes in the water jacket. I have the radiator probe type and have been happy with it.

You will also need relays since the fan draws a lot of power.

Remind me to show you my setup.

ahh perfect so i'll write that down.

/writes down to remember to copy jeff on life!
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #6915
Jeebs
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
so i was thinking about putting an electric fan in the jeep and i know some of you guys have switched from mechanical to electric already and i was wondering what kind of switch you're usuing to trigger the fans to come on and where did you get them. I'll be usuing a 1995 Ford Taurus electric fan.
Come on over later. I have all the parts but have not installed it yet. I can give you all the P/N's from Napa too.
__________________
San Diego Group
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.