San Diego Area - Page 450 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #6736
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalert View Post
Sorry if my posts sound weird.
you've come to the right place. Weird is a specialty around here

Quote:
I just installed a 3" lift and wanted to regear my jeep so its not such a dog when I get new tires. I wanted to run 33" BFG A/T, what gear ratio would be best for offroad and mpg? My jeep is a daily driver, it has the 4.0L and 6spd trans. I like the thought of having the 8.8 due to its strength. What are my options to achieve this.
Are you sure you have 3:07's? I'm thinking you may have 3:73's.

Good lift/tire choice, you'll find it'll do almost anything you want it to, within reason of course.

Gear ratio; there are those who would say 4:88 is the way to bliss, but, as a daily driver, fuel prices, etc, I would go with either 4:10's or 4:56's. 4:10's will give you the better economy, 4:56 will give you the better power. Being on a budget like the rest of us there's a couple of ways to do this.

You could re-gear your axles = kinda expensive and you'd still have the D30/35 and stock shafts.

Get a pair of axles off a 4-cyl TJ with 4:10 gears, plan on about $300/axle, sell yours and get some money back but still have a stock Dana 30/35. Fastest way to do it, can be done in a few hours.

Pull an 8.8 from the wrecking yard with 4:10's maybe LS and discs, install/weld brackets, deal with the driveshaft and keep it otherwise stock, pick up a Dana 30 from a 4-cyl with 4:10 gears or pull a HPDana 30 from an early model 4-cyl Cherokee with 4:10's at the wrecking yard and bolt it in.

Anything else and the costs go up.

So there's some options. Totally confused yet?

StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #6737
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry if my posts sound weird. I just installed a 3" lift and wanted to regear my jeep so its not such a dog when I get new tires. I wanted to run 33" BFG A/T, what gear ratio would be best for offroad and mpg? My jeep is a daily driver, it has the 4.0L and 6spd trans. I like the thought of having the 8.8 due to its strength. What are my options to achieve this.
redalert, I would regear your 06 to 4.56 if you plan on stopping at 33s, I run 35s and have 4.56 gears and love the set up, so you could go up to them if you felt 33s werent cutting it and still be ok, however now i'm stuck at 35s and sometimes want to go up to 37 or 39s and if i did id be back at turning off my OD and watching semi trucks pass me on the highway. So 4.88s or 5.13s look to be in my future.

05moabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #6738
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
meantime a co worker is selling a boat. wants $2000. wish I had time to mess with it.

I've got the time if you've got the money!
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #6739
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
you guys spend way too much time worrying about my fashion choices.

well from all the talk i may just show up tomorrow to see this new wave of dressing
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #6740
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
well from all the talk i may just show up tomorrow to see this new wave of dressing
SPOILER.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #6741
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
SPOILER.

hahaha Hey man i just want to know where i can get a pair well i think i may see you down there and I'll probably bring my belly pan jeff that i got and maybe we can take a few minutes and think how to use it since i think it's off a wj but i'd like to use it on my zj if i can you need me to bring anything for you guys tools etc. you may not have?
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #6742
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jeff this is still my all time favorite thing ever...

Unread 04-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #6743
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post

That is great.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #6744
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
you've come to the right place. Weird is a specialty around here

Are you sure you have 3:07's? I'm thinking you may have 3:73's.

Good lift/tire choice, you'll find it'll do almost anything you want it to, within reason of course.

Gear ratio; there are those who would say 4:88 is the way to bliss, but, as a daily driver, fuel prices, etc, I would go with either 4:10's or 4:56's. 4:10's will give you the better economy, 4:56 will give you the better power. Being on a budget like the rest of us there's a couple of ways to do this.

You could re-gear your axles = kinda expensive and you'd still have the D30/35 and stock shafts.

Get a pair of axles off a 4-cyl TJ with 4:10 gears, plan on about $300/axle, sell yours and get some money back but still have a stock Dana 30/35. Fastest way to do it, can be done in a few hours.

Pull an 8.8 from the wrecking yard with 4:10's maybe LS and discs, install/weld brackets, deal with the driveshaft and keep it otherwise stock, pick up a Dana 30 from a 4-cyl with 4:10 gears or pull a HPDana 30 from an early model 4-cyl Cherokee with 4:10's at the wrecking yard and bolt it in.

Anything else and the costs go up.

So there's some options. Totally confused yet?
I am pretty sure that I have 3:07 gears cuz that is what it says on the tag on the diff. Maybe when I am ready to buy the 8.8 you would be willing to help me look for one since I am not sure what to look for. I would rather have the 8.8 and piece it together over time.
redalert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #6745
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Glad you like it.

That picture was at the Doheny Blues Festival in Dana Point, last may. Going again this year.

I got the hat here last year.

http://www.summergrass.net/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #6746
StvDiego

Quote:
I am pretty sure that I have 3:07 gears cuz that is what it says on the tag on the diff. Maybe when I am ready to buy the 8.8 you would be willing to help me look for one since I am not sure what to look for. I would rather have the 8.8 and piece it together over time.
Ah, the tag never lies

So when ever you're ready let us know, we'll do a junkyard trip. We're going this week, I'll probably go with Jason on Friday AM and possibly again on Saturday with Jeff and collect as many 8.8's as we can. Plus I still want to get some new front seats and that elusive Ranger axle.

Come out and meet us sometime
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #6747
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ah, the tag never lies

So when ever you're ready let us know, we'll do a junkyard trip. We're going this week, I'll probably go with Jason on Friday AM and possibly again on Saturday with Jeff and collect as many 8.8's as we can. Plus I still want to get some new front seats and that elusive Ranger axle.

Come out and meet us sometime
Could it be possible that I have 3:73's? Where do you guys hang out at? We live in clairemont.
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #6748
StvDiego

Quote:
Could it be possible that I have 3:73's? Where do you guys hang out at? We live in clairemont.
Believe in the tag

So where are we? Downtown SD, Poway, Clairemontish, somewhere north of Temecula, Carlsbad, a little island in the bay, that ritzy part of town north of Miramar, basically

We Are.

Resistance is Futile.

So Adrian, are we the only one's up at midnight in SD?

Last edited by StvDiego; 04-09-2008 at 01:00 AM..
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #6749
redalert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Believe in the tag

So where are we? Downtown SD, Poway, Clairemontish, somewhere north of Temecula, Carlsbad, a little island in the bay, that ritzy part of town north of Miramar, basically

We Are.

Resistance is Futile.

Let me know the next time you guys get together so I can meet you all. Hopefully I won't have to work that day.
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #6750
StvDiego

I forgot to mention...

I worked on my front fender problem Saturday night at Jeff's. A little tape, a little Tecate, a little jig saw

voila, five-minute flatties
flattietrim.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.