Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#8,804 ·
awesome run guys. had fun wheeling with all you. thanks for being patient since i couldnt quite go as fast over everything. now where are the pics?!?!?!?!
Did you guys go up the back way to the peak and then come back down? The group I was wheeling with blocked the trail all day long. We started around 10am and finished around 7:30. We started down at the campground. There's a few new boulders added to the first rock slider testing obstacle at the start of the trail. It took us a while just to get everyone through that.

#8,805 ·
Did you guys go up the back way to the peak and then come back down? The group I was wheeling with blocked the trail all day long. We started around 10am and finished around 7:30. We started down at the campground. There's a few new boulders added to the first rock slider testing obstacle at the start of the trail. It took us a while just to get everyone through that.
That we did. Now that's a long day wheelin! We were well into our third round of:cheers2: by 7:30:thumbsup:

We heard that a group went that way. We went up and back down, plus we had a couple of Jeeps that wouldn't make that climb. We saw another group of three Jeeps below us that probably came from the perimeter road. So after a trip up and back we ran thru Sidewinder, a great day.

More pics:
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/StvDiego/Corral Canyon 8-2-08/?albumview=grid

This is what the XJ looked like from the other side

Jeff wheelin

Jimmy on the rox

Matt flexing

#8,808 · (Edited)
at least you had your makeshift top, er umbrella

I thought they called it 4x4 not 3x3.

Nice wheelie..

I had a great time. We will have to do this more often.
this one is better

#8,815 ·
It is done:

Jurassic Park Lives Again!

I just need to put the side digits 04 on today and It will be complete minus touch ups where tape got the rustoleum before it hardened. Or inside the windshield where I got lazy lol.

#8,817 ·
We measured the TJ yesterday for duplicating the RockHard cage. It comes out to 34'. I'm calling around for pricing and plan on picking up 40'. I know it's 1030 DOM steel tube, but what diameter? Any other measurements they'll ask and I won't know?

Am also getting started on the stuff required to build those dash mount pillars.

#8,818 ·
It is done:

Jurassic Park Lives Again!

I just need to put the side digits 04 on today and It will be complete minus touch ups where tape got the rustoleum before it hardened. Or inside the windshield where I got lazy lol.
Wow pretty ambitious. Looks good.

Just in time too because I am almost done building my 40 foot high robotic t-rex. :laugh:

#8,819 ·
To make these:

http://www.jeeptubes.com/dashbrackets.html

I'm planning on ordering:

3 feet 1.75" x .188" (1 3/4 " x 1 3/4" x 3/16") angle iron

3 feet 1.5" x .120" (1 ½" x 1/8") flatbar to use as a backing plate for bracket

6" of 2" x 3/16" flatbar will be needed as a landing pad for side tubes

6 - 3/8" x 1 1/2" grade 8 button head bolts
6 lock nuts for above

Missing anything?

Attachments