Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#8,121 ·
I'd like to put this out to all of you local guys first and see where it goes. I have a 94' YJ with a 4.0 and an Auto trans, recently i have been having problems with it stalling randomly, sometime at idle sometime while on the freeway, most of the time it will start right back up, but on occassion it has not, when this happens it has no spark, if i wait a day or so everything goes back to normal, until the next time it happens, i have replaced the coil, the pick up inside the distibutor and the crank position sensor, I have run codes and get a 12, 24 11, 27, these codes have been stored, and since replacing the above mentioned parts, i have not been able to clear them, i thought disconnecting the battery would clear the codes but i have had no success, sorry to ramble but this problem has left me sceptical about driving my Jeep. Thanks for any help you guys may be able to provide. Darrin
try unhooking the positive battery cable and grounding it to the neg. I seem to recall reading that might help clear the codes (and it will not short unless it is still connected to the battery, which it won't be)

On the older jeeps, like my 1990, it would be the ignition control modual. Does yours have that?

Sounds like a jeep repair party in the making.:brickwall

#8,125 ·
Thanks Jeff, that cleared them, all except the 12, which is the battery disconnect code, i guess all i can do now is drive it until it won't start and hope it throws a code, if anyone can think of anywhere else for me to look i much appreciate it. thanks, Darrin
Did you post up in YJ tech also?

#8,126 ·
Well I got my new driveshaft but the SYE is on back order for a week or two.

I don't dare start taking things apart yet, just in case the 1-2 weeks turns into more. Meantime I got the 8.8 all cleaned up and last night I put in the new brake shoes for the e-brake.

Maybe I'll put in my headers tonight.

#8,131 ·
Yes sir. They ship fast.

and it comes with two stickers, 10 extra HP each.
Nice, i've had my upgraded CV DS and sye in the rear for a long time , I figured it was time to upgrade my front and Tom Wood is the best. wow :hahaha: stickers , are they cute??? I talked with Troy and Tom, I just might get a T-shirt to.:thumbsup:

#8,133 ·
I saw this on Craigslist for all you YJ's, sounds lie a great deal

Jeep YJSwing-a-way tire/can carrier - $180
Reply to: sale-715400381@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-10, 5:17PM PDT

Up for sale is a Jeep YJ Swing-a-way tire/can carrier made by OR-Fab. It has never been installed. I bought it 2 days ago with the intention of installing. During installation I found out that it was for a YJ and not a TJ. It comes with all the hardware and brackets. Goes for over $500 new from Quadretec. $180 obo.

#8,135 ·
A guy called me a shortly after I posted on craigslist, saying he had the same color jeep and wanted full doors. We exchanged them today. The interior on my new ones is black and my dash is beige, but with the black center console and whatnot, I think it looks pretty cool.

The window surrounds are also black though and that may look pretty funny with my grey top... not that they'll get much use.

Anyone need relocation brackets for the newer style mirror? :brickwall
Did you exchange the lock mechanisms?? They are easy to switch.

#8,136 ·
Paul you have toooo much money..:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Hows it going???
Nah, no such thing, spend it and upgrade it now and sell a good used part on ebay or craigslist and recover some cost, or break it and get nothing, my stock DS is already on ebay. Tom Woods is not inexpensive, 3 bills for the front. Hows it going with you?

#8,140 ·