San Diego Area - Page 406 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #6076
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
ok, I looked at my calendar and can do Tuesday in the gaslamp. I'll schedule some morning meetings in San Diego. Carlsbad to San Diego is way easier than LA area where I do a lot of driving.

I'm thinking I may be able to do a run on Thursday. Where you planning on going?
Either Coral Canyon or Anza Borrego. I'm not particular on which one we hit up. Steve was going to check his schedule too and see if he can make it this week. Kory is gonna make it out as well.

Unread 03-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #6077
merkur92
2002 WJ 

I can make the camping trip,just need to be able to park a 38' motorhome somwhere.Jason if we are leaving on friday to go camping,thursday might be to close.
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #6078
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know what size bolts are on the windshield frame on the outside? I need to get 4 replacements bolts. Iv found some online but they dont have a size. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...number=6035757. I just want to head to the hardware store instead of ordering them offline for that price.
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #6079
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

All those hinge bolts are 5/16" National Course thread. If you're keeping the OEM hinges, you can get tapered head allen key bolts about 1 - 1.5" long. A popular replacement is a round head allen key bolt, but again, if you use OEM hinges with this type of bolt, you'll need washers & I'd recommend 5/16" grade 8 washers - the standard softer washers will bend into the hinge bolt hole taper.

From the back side, if you use nuts, use nuts with a captive wide washer or use a fender washer to spread the load on the inside of the tub, otherwise a plain nut will pull through. I prefer making a plate about 1/4" x 4" x 1" and drill/tap two 5/16" threaded holes in each - I use one of these for every two nuts to spread the load.
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #6080
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
From the back side, if you use nuts, use nuts with a captive wide washer or use a fender washer to spread the load on the inside of the tub, otherwise a plain nut will pull through. I prefer making a plate about 1/4" x 4" x 1" and drill/tap two 5/16" threaded holes in each - I use one of these for every two nuts to spread the load.
So you say there is a nut on the back? I though they just screwed directly into the frame. I did notice the bolts would spin but wouldnt come out. One got trashed. How do you get to the nut then?
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #6081
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thats only if you lose the nut on the back. You should be able to just screw a new bolt right in.
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #6082
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats only if you lose the nut on the back. You should be able to just screw a new bolt right in.
Like I mentioned I got 3 out of 4 to break loose, but they just spin. I was thinking of just drilling them out and replaceing them, but if i can get to the back somehow and save them then ill do that.

I got some milk crates at work if anyone needs some drop me a line.

Last edited by MooJr; 03-19-2008 at 12:54 PM..
MooJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #6083
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooJr View Post
Like I mentioned I got 3 out of 4 to break loose, but they just spin. I was thinking of just drilling them out and replaceing them, but if i can get to the back somehow and save them then ill do that.
If these are anything like the lower windshield torx head screws on my '91 YJ, do yourself a favor & drill them out! Period!

On mine, not only were the torx head screws loctited, they also had nylock nuts AND they were spray painted like crazy with some sort of sealant. They were a MAJOR PITA to try to back-out.

I drilled them. It took ~1-2 minuted per bolt. Plus, who wants to reuse boogered-up old torx head screws again? Nobody.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #6084
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I got some milk crates at work if anyone needs some drop me a line.
So they broke loose and are spinning but not backing out? Sounds like you broke the nut on the inside of the windshield frame and made yourself quite the project! I second what Joe said though, just drill'em out. Thats what I ended up doing.

I'll take at least one of the milk crates to hold fluids on the trail.
Unread 03-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #6085
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So they broke loose and are spinning but not backing out? Sounds like you broke the nut on the inside of the windshield frame and made yourself quite the project! I second what Joe said though, just drill'em out. Thats what I ended up doing.

Thats what i feared . Ill pick up some replacements and if someone can let me borrow their drill ill get them out. Now about the nuts on the back... I dont know how to even get in there. Iv had my windshield down a couple of times and i dont remember there being a space.

Okie sounds good im hoping to get at least 6 crates
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #6086
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Won't the fluids leak right out through the holes in the crates? I would just use the jugs it comes it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #6087
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thats what i feared . Ill pick up some replacements and if someone can let me borrow their drill ill get them out. Now about the nuts on the back... I dont know how to even get in there. Iv had my windshield down a couple of times and i dont remember there being a space.

Okie sounds good im hoping to get at least 6 crates
I'm heading home now to do more fluids changing and other junk. You are welcome to head over and we can figure out what ya did.
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #6088
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm heading home now to do more fluids changing and other junk. You are welcome to head over and we can figure out what ya did.
Sounds good. im off at ~400 ill head over as soon as i get out of my cammies.
Unread 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #6089
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1) I'm in for the meeting because I want to support the 4x4 causes.
2) Depending on how many others want to go.
3) either or
4) I feel like I live there on the weekends already
5) Camping in good
6) If I can get time off work..
Unread 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #6090
BrandonTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

1. Not I
2. Ditto
3. Either
4. No can do
5. Nope
6. Nope

Sorry guys, I won't be much fun for a while. Just got married and am looking to change jobs and (possibly) move soon. Will come out and play when things settle down a bit. Have fun and don't break anything expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.