Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#8,061 ·
Cross posting is encouraged. :D

Yeah, that was about the 5-6th time I wheeled with Wally and some of his friends.

My next trip to that area I'll FOR SURE wheel more in CO & less in Utah/Moab. I just don't know when that'll be though. :( Perhaps if I can squeeze 4-5 days off in a row to make it worth my time and $ in fuel costs, I'll go again later this year before it starts to get too chilly.

#8,062 · (Edited)
Looks like you guys (and gals) had a blast! I went back and read that thread and got a wee bit home sick.:crying:
Hope you don't mind I posted the link to that thread... some great pics on there!:2thumbsup:
Hey theres stuff to do even out here. Just keep in mind cactus is not your friend.

Heres a run we did at Supersition couple weeks ago.

Not much todo in the summer unles you go up top. But theres wheeling to be had:2thumbsup:

#8,064 ·
Vern if this one's yours you had better start locking it up at night....

:drool:

Na Thats Megans rig see her
here

Her dad is sporting the rock buggy second down on the right here

Mines the red POS with Megan holding it up on the Supersition run...

Megans Jeep listed is sporting Dana 60's front rear, 39 Krawlers and Dads custom stuff added to boot. I still sort of smoke um...sometimes...

#8,068 ·
Hey Jimmy -

Can you chime in HERE and let him know how wide your flares are. He is worried about not fitting through the squeeze. I used pics of you going through as a reference.
About 3 years ago some kid took his dads Tahoe and tried to do the squeeze.
Its about 6 inches mo narrow now,

If hes worried about the flares thats not the place to test to see if he'll go through. You climb to high on the right , the left side will be scrapped off.

On the other hand flares are plastic he'll go through :rofl:

I'm sure you noticed the different colored paints on the rock on the right side...

#8,071 ·
Now that looks fun...

and from what the map says, its pretty close to me here in Brawley.

Hey theres stuff to do even out here. Just keep in mind cactus is not your friend.

Heres a run we did at Supersition couple weeks ago.

Not much todo in the summer unles you go up top. But theres wheeling to be had:2thumbsup:
So help a newb out here. How about a who's-who in that thread. Folks from this board?

#8,073 ·
and from what the map says, its pretty close to me here in Brawley.

So help a newb out here. How about a who's-who in that thread. Folks from this board?
You have some Just Runs, San Diego 4 WHeelers and people who are not affiliated with anything. All the rigs are not daily drivers most are towed in.

Expect damage with that group. No one from this group but would be cool to wheel with some of these guys sometime.. I've wheeled with some of Joes and Jerrys friends though, great group also.

As for the valley wheeling theres lots of fun stuff close by. Truckhaven, Painted Gorge, Supersition and the Pynion Mountain area, Go way up Sandstone canyon and youll find some good rock gardens. We are sort of close to JV. Mexico is fun also if you know how to deal with going into the border regions, theres some good stuff to wheel in down thar. When its to hot to wheel at Table mountain or hit Broco peak or sneak out at night.

Funny thing about the Valley...most wheelers are sand people.

#8,075 ·
ARG. I'm having problems with my jeep... Sounds like I have a exhaust leak that just started 10 mins ago. I'm good to go for Friday but I cant drive this POS like this. Its extremely loud. Anyone available to help me out tonight? Id hate to miss out on another trip.
check where the exhaust pipe meets the exhaust manifold. The collector has a "donut" in there thats basically just a metal flange seal that keeps the exhuast going down the pipe with out hurting flexibility of the pipe. ask jason his sounds like a rice burner hahaha. if you still got a problem then you could come on over i live in an apartment complex so even better for wrenching haha no lights!!! but exhaust leaks are easy to find and unless it'st he manifold to the engine that'll take some time to replace. haha let me know

#8,077 ·
Thats one of my biggest problems too. I live in a "apartment" type place also, so i have a very limited amount of space which led to a limited amount of tools. Thats why i take advantage of everyone elses good fortune when i can.
I'll be home tonight, if you want to come by.

Do you know the area of the leak?

#8,078 ·
I'll be home tonight, if you want to come by.

Do you know the area of the leak?
That sounds great. Im off about 430. I think i still have your number also. Edit: Yep i got your #, just checked

Not 100% but it seems to be right behind the engine. Im at work when it happened, so I just tried to listen when i parked. Im guessing where the manifold attaches to the exhaust pipe.

#8,079 ·
That sounds great. Im off about 430. I think i still have your number also. Edit: Yep i got your #, just checked

Not 100% but it seems to be right behind the engine. Im at work when it happened, so I just tried to listen when i parked. Im guessing where the manifold attaches to the exhaust pipe.
I'm off at 4:30 and just have to make a stop on the way home