Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#8,041 ·
True, I was talking about the Cherokee, but could not remember whos it was.

It's good that you figured it out anyway :2thumbsup::thumbsup::cheers2:

And I still can't go on Friday :crying:
work stinks i was thinking about calling in another sick day but i'll have to pass can't afford to use them all up there's plenty of fridays to come :rofl:

#8,042 ·
as San Diego area? Or am I really in the middle of NOWHERE! :crying:
welcome sean :wave: and yeah your kind of in the middle of no where but don't be too sad i'm always out in glamis with my dirt bike trailer and oh yeah don't forget the ladies!! So aaahhhh october for halloween you can count on me to be out there, but don't be a stranger come on down for some wheeling some time. :thumbsup:

#8,043 ·
Glad to be here...

Thanks for all of the :welcome: post!
I moved here from Colorado about a month ago. I have to say that I got pretty spoiled by the wheelin' opportunities out there. That is not to say that there isn't great wheelin' here too but the scenery in Colorado is hard to beat.
Do the majority of you on the board drive or trailer to the trail? I have a trailer queen myself. I will drive to close trails like Superstition but I'm on the trailer if go to say The Hammers or Big Bear.

#8,044 ·
Thanks for all of the :welcome: post!
I moved here from Colorado about a month ago. I have to say that I got pretty spoiled by the wheelin' opportunities out there. That is not to say that there isn't great wheelin' here too but the scenery in Colorado is hard to beat.
Do the majority of you on the board drive or trailer to the trail? I have a trailer queen myself. I will drive to close trails like Superstition but I'm on the trailer if go to say The Hammers or Big Bear.
I lived in Colorado Springs for a while and agree, the scenery is hard to beat....until you visit the Sierra Nevada mountains. Go to Lake Tahoe and you almost forget about CO.

As far as trailering goes, I don't have a trailer yet so I am using a tow bar. Steve (Stvdiego) tows his whenever he takes his RV out as well. Either way, towing is the way to go! :2thumbsup:

It looks like you've got one helluva rig! You'll definitely want to hook up with Joe Dillard and Jerry Bransford as they do the more extreme stuff (like the Hammers) and have similar builds.

#8,045 ·
I lived in Colorado Springs for a while and agree, the scenery is hard to beat....until you visit the Sierra Nevada mountains. Go to Lake Tahoe and you almost forget about CO.

As far as trailering goes, I don't have a trailer yet so I am using a tow bar. Steve (Stvdiego) tows his whenever he takes his RV out as well. Either way, towing is the way to go! :2thumbsup:

It looks like you've got one helluva rig! You'll definitely want to hook up with Joe Dillard and Jerry Bransford as they do the more extreme stuff (like the Hammers) and have similar builds.
Rig on trailer behind 06' Megacab 3500 4x4... cummfy :2thumbsup: (ya, I'm gettin' old)

Lake Tahoe is on the short list.

I spoke to Joe Dillard on CO4X4.org before coming out here and I have been reading Jerry's posts since I was a kid... I mean, for a long time.:rofl:
A couple of guys I would like to do some wheelin' with sometime now that I'm in this neck o' the woods.:thumbsup:

#8,048 ·
my wife:topicsucks:

she got offerd a position :rtft: at the hospital here, Pioneer, as the director of the physical therapy department and they were very "generous" :shhh: in there offer so...
now I live BELOW SEA LEVEL!:thumbdown:
:laugh:

Yeah, I was stationed in Yuma for 3 1/2 years and went through there and El Centro many times. The hospital in Yuma was the same way, they would through money at medical professionals just to get them to move there. I heard of some Dr's even getting homes purchased for them! :eek: I damn near considered going into nursing because of the money there.....then I remembered it's Yuma :thumbdown:

#8,049 ·
:laugh:

Yeah, I was stationed in Yuma for 3 1/2 years and went through there and El Centro many times. The hospital in Yuma was the same way, they would through money at medical professionals just to get them to move there. I heard of some Dr's even getting homes purchased for them! :eek: I damn near considered going into nursing because of the money there.....then I remembered it's Yuma :thumbdown:
well if your still considering being a nurse you could always borrow your wife's scrubs and play dress up :rofl:

#8,052 ·
I spoke to Joe Dillard on CO4X4.org before coming out here <snip>
Ahh, I recall now that you mention it. I had to put two & two together (your from CO & now in Brawley).

I was in Colorado ~3 weeks ago wheeling with some Grand Junction & Montrose locals. We went to Montrose & ran Calamity, then ran Scratch & Dent. The following day we ran Billings Canyon. :tea:

You chimed-in to the right thread! :2thumbsup: There's an excellent group of wheelers here who know how to have fun and help each other out. Glad to see you stop in.

BTW: Our trucks are similar. I have an '07 3500 Megacab that tows my POS on my trailer. It's a nice combo.

Maybe Vern Britain will chime-in. He's close to you in the El Centro area. Fantastic Jeeper! :)

#8,053 ·
Ahh, I recall now that you mention it. I had to put two & two together (your from CO & now in Brawley).

I was in Colorado ~3 weeks ago wheeling with some Grand Junction & Montrose locals. We went to Montrose & ran Calamity, then ran Scratch & Dent. The following day we ran Billings Canyon. :tea:

You chimed-in to the right thread! :2thumbsup: There's an excellent group of wheelers here who know how to have fun and help each other out. Glad to see you stop in.

BTW: Our trucks are similar. I have an '07 3500 Megacab that tows my POS on my trailer. It's a nice combo.

Maybe Vern Britain will chime-in. He's close to you in the El Centro area. Fantastic Jeeper! :)
You Rang? Joe nice trip there now fix yer POS so we can go wheeling....

#8,057 ·
When are you planning on making the transformation??? I wanna see this in action :rtft:

:hahaha: :teehee: :rofl: :laugh: :eyebulge: :nuts:

Planning stage for now. We are in a rental for now so I don't want to get started just yet not to mention we have no 220V here. When I do it I will be doing the cage work and drop down tailgate at the same time. Lots of things to consider one being will I be running springs, CO's, or air shocks. Anyway, I can't wait... should be fun.:drool:

#8,060 ·
Yep, dats my POS and ugly mug. :laugh:

My spotter just happend to be right next to whoever took that pic. IIRC Val (YJGirl) took it, maybe not thou.
Looks like you guys (and gals) had a blast! I went back and read that thread and got a wee bit home sick.:crying:
Hope you don't mind I posted the link to that thread... some great pics on there!:2thumbsup: