San Diego Area - Page 391 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #5851
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The body lift came out well. The front clip damn near needed to come off to get those front mounts in. We wrapped it up yesterday. Here are some pics from Friday.

Finished front mounts

Proof the Eric was there!

Worlds largest pizza

How does this stupid thing work?

Unread 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #5852
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Steve/Jimmy -
Any input here? Of course, anyone else can chime in too!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/grand-cherokee-d44-yj-530901/
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #5853
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

looks good as far as your question on the axle it shouldn't be a problem as long as you fab up a spot so that the leaf springs can sit flat on the axle, or be angel depending on the your driveshaft angle as well. but since it's already got the perches shouldn't you think about doing some coils
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #5854
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Ok then we are back.. Had a great time. Found a Dana 44 for free while looking around. So Joe I'm gonna need some help welding the spring perches on.

Today ended up being a make shift Jeep repair party. We did Jimmy's front brakes, destroyed my valve cover and Steve polished his.

EDIT: Here are the pictures to prove it!

is that a 44 from a grand cherokee?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #5855
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
looks good as far as your question on the axle it shouldn't be a problem as long as you fab up a spot so that the leaf springs can sit flat on the axle, or be angel depending on the your driveshaft angle as well. but since it's already got the perches shouldn't you think about doing some coils
Money more than anything. Most YJ's that get the coil treatment only do the front axle too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
is that a 44 from a grand cherokee?
Thats the debate I was facing in the tech forum. Some are saying a few things 1) Its not a 44 and 2)Its not from a WJ because they may have never had one. It could be from an XJ I suppose.

Here is the link to the thread. By all means head there and give me some input!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530901
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #5856
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Money more than anything. Most YJ's that get the coil treatment only do the front axle too.

Thats the debate I was facing in the tech forum. Some are saying a few things 1) Its not a 44 and 2)Its not from a WJ because they may have never had one. It could be from an XJ I suppose.

Here is the link to the thread. By all means head there and give me some input!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530901

it sort of looks like a d-35 but the number on the cover 46590-1 shows up on the dana website as a cover for a d-44
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #5857
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The body lift came out well. The front clip damn near needed to come off to get those front mounts in. We wrapped it up yesterday. Here are some pics from Friday.

Make sure that your vac hose for the brake booster is long enough. After my BL that was the only thing that was trouble. It has popped off on me a couple of times and I need to remember to get a longer hose.
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #5858
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
it sort of looks like a d-35 but the number on the cover 46590-1 shows up on the dana website as a cover for a d-44
Can you give me the URL to that website please Also, after doing a bit more research it is sounding like it is a D44A. There are a few differences, one being that part of it is aluminum (thus the A) and also that it uses the D60 ring and pinion. Not sure if this is good or bad but I can tell ya that information seems to be limited on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Make sure that your vac hose for the brake booster is long enough. After my BL that was the only thing that was trouble. It has popped off on me a couple of times and I need to remember to get a longer hose.
The brake booster line is tight as hell but still on. I am going to get an adapter and add a bit of extra hose. I would replace the entire line but where it connects at the other end looks like it is gonna be a PITA to get to.
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #5859
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

dana http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx?prod=AXL
Unread 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #5860
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

D35 are more oval shape. It looks like it came out of a Grand Cherokee which have the D44A, I have the same bracketry on mine. Throw a magnet on the center section to see if aluminum or not.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #5861
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I found some good info on the D44A. It sounds like internally its almost a D60. For example, the pinion shaft is only .001" less in diameter than a D60. The biggest flaw and weakness is the aluminum housing that its in. Apparently its prone to damage fairly ease. Also there aren't very many lockers for it. The locker thing doesn't bother me because I don't see myself locking the rear any time soon.
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #5862
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The only locker for it is the Aussie, which aren't made for it any more. Just don't put a jack under the pumpkin to lift the vehicle. A truss is a good idea also so the axle tubes don't bend if you do rough wheeling.

Edit: Just read your post in the GC section. People with a ZJ would want it since they wouldn't have to swap on new brackets. Like they say an 8.8 is better, thats why I went with one. A lot more options.

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 03-10-2008 at 08:50 PM..
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #5863
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The brown genie had a big day at my house today

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #5864
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Alright guys so i'm looking for a budget left coil spring spacers front and rear and wondering if you guys know who's carrying the best deal on those. I got a 95 zj 5.2L Jimmy i know you said something about offroad warehouse, what was the name of the kit you were telling me?
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #5865
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Grandpapy, I have a set of 2 1/4" coil spring spacers (f/r) for the ZJ. I used them about 2 months before I went to the long arms. $40 sound good?

WOOT! 500 posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.