San Diego Area - Page 351 - JeepForum.com
 19Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5251 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 PM
EJames1226
Registered User
 
EJames1226's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
It's just the flu talking, take some meds, get better and you'll feel more in the mood to hammer it out (literally if that's what it takes) to get out there
Ill need more than a hammer to come up with money to fix my tranny/clutch/get me to tds/aford to live.


Damage Initiation Specialist: Eric's Jeep Repair Club, San Diego Chapter
EJames1226 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5252 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
dwedeking
Registered User
 
dwedeking's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: carlsbad
Posts: 156
Yea, money issues I'm little help with. Thought you were just getting down on doing the work and stuff in time.
dwedeking is offline  
post #5253 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,791
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I have a question that some of you more experienced jeepers hopefully can answer. I'm trying to understand the physics/dynamics of a 4x4 vehicle vs dirt bikes/buggies.

Question:

When driving our jeep in deep sand and a steep hill (ie Blowsand or Oldsmobile Hill in Glamis) I do poorly in 4HI. By putting the Transfer in 4Lo I am able to motor up no problem although at a slow overall speed. When doing this buggies or bikes more speed is better (if you fail, you just back up and get a longer run at it). With the jeep in 4Lo I'll actually cruise through the whoops at the bottom of the hill and then floor it to climb.

Why do the two seemingly oppossing techniques work with the two different types of vehicles?

Just a guess but I still think speed is the key to keeping moving in sand. I would guess that in 4HI there is such a drag on the wheels that there is not enough torque to stay moving. 4LO is not actually slower because the vehicle is actually able to keep going.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #5254 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
JayRock
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I have a question that some of you more experienced jeepers hopefully can answer. I'm trying to understand the physics/dynamics of a 4x4 vehicle vs dirt bikes/buggies.

Question:

When driving our jeep in deep sand and a steep hill (ie Blowsand or Oldsmobile Hill in Glamis) I do poorly in 4HI. By putting the Transfer in 4Lo I am able to motor up no problem although at a slow overall speed. When doing this buggies or bikes more speed is better (if you fail, you just back up and get a longer run at it). With the jeep in 4Lo I'll actually cruise through the whoops at the bottom of the hill and then floor it to climb.

Why do the two seemingly oppossing techniques work with the two different types of vehicles?
Jeeps defy all laws of reason and understanding

Hey guys just checking in, I can't log at work, they figure out the proxy blockers as fast as I can find them. That's about the only time I get. still read up though. Eric man, your jeep sounds pretty bad.
Ok I'll be watching

Anyone planning on running a day trip next weekend? 23-24ish??
JayRock is offline  
post #5255 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 PM
dwedeking
Registered User
 
dwedeking's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: carlsbad
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Just a guess but I still think speed is the key to keeping moving in sand. I would guess that in 4HI there is such a drag on the wheels that there is not enough torque to stay moving. 4LO is not actually slower because the vehicle is actually able to keep going.
Maybe slower was a poor choice of words. When attempting to climb in 4HI on a sand hill, I will start out at a higher rate of speed (which is really interesting for the wife if I mis-time the last whoop ) and then slow and dig in. Doing the same climb in 4 LO I will start out at a slower speed than the 4HI and then it will lower to a constant speed and just consistantly crawl to the top. Maybe the explanation is the same, I just thought I would clarify what I was saying.
dwedeking is offline  
post #5256 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,791
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRock View Post
Jeeps defy all laws of reason and understanding

Hey guys just checking in, I can't log at work, they figure out the proxy blockers as fast as I can find them. That's about the only time I get. still read up though. Eric man, your jeep sounds pretty bad.
Ok I'll be watching

Anyone planning on running a day trip next weekend? 23-24ish??
Maybe. I have some company next week but they are supposed to leave on 2/22.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #5257 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,791
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
Maybe slower was a poor choice of words. When attempting to climb in 4HI on a sand hill, I will start out at a higher rate of speed (which is really interesting for the wife if I mis-time the last whoop ) and then slow and dig in. Doing the same climb in 4 LO I will start out at a slower speed than the 4HI and then it will lower to a constant speed and just consistantly crawl to the top. Maybe the explanation is the same, I just thought I would clarify what I was saying.
Makes sense. I just think that in HI it bogs down too much. I see some of the guys with the v8 jeeps and blazers power up and over. Of course they have bigger tires too. I guess we will have to test it. Lo might make for less chance of wheel spin too. But, either way if you stop or slow too much you are done.

On the next Mythbusters.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #5258 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Jeebs's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I made only a few payments on my old truck ('03 2500 Hemi) I was talking about above. Equity from another house I sold paid it off ~4 years early. Plus, it was mine - not my company's.
I don't know... I kinda like this arrangement.

I have a $40,000 truck that I paid nothing for, I have a gas card to use at my leisure, I drive it just like I would my own; errands, picking Steve up, etc. Plus if I damage anything or it needs service I take it in and thats paid for too! The only downside is that it has Sprint plastered all over it.
Jeebs is offline  
post #5259 of 40214 Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM
EJames1226
Registered User
 
EJames1226's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,652
Jason can i borrow your truck as a school project?

Damage Initiation Specialist: Eric's Jeep Repair Club, San Diego Chapter
EJames1226 is offline  
post #5260 of 40214 Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
 
Joe Dillard's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lexington Park
Posts: 13,117
Jason, I understand having something at your disposal that basically costs you nothing out of pocket. No insurance, no maintenance, no fuel etc. You use it as you need and Sprint pays for it. It's a good deal for you.

I sold Nissans and Fords for ~2 years (back in the early 80's) and drove demo's for those 2 years. They were 100% free to me. I simply picked out any car/truck on the lot every ~3 months. Nice arraingement and similar to yours.
Joe Dillard is offline  
post #5261 of 40214 Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 AM
1990JEEPXJ
Registered User
 
1990JEEPXJ's Avatar
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
Maybe slower was a poor choice of words. When attempting to climb in 4HI on a sand hill, I will start out at a higher rate of speed (which is really interesting for the wife if I mis-time the last whoop ) and then slow and dig in. Doing the same climb in 4 LO I will start out at a slower speed than the 4HI and then it will lower to a constant speed and just consistantly crawl to the top. Maybe the explanation is the same, I just thought I would clarify what I was saying.
like jbolty is saying, i have always found speed is the key. for me personally, and ive heard this from many others, that 4lo is too much torque for the sand. i can vouch for this. haha. but when i go in the dunes im always in 4hi and on the throttle so i keep the RPM's up a little more.

Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is online now  
post #5262 of 40214 Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,791
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
like jbolty is saying, i have always found speed is the key. for me personally, and ive heard this from many others, that 4lo is too much torque for the sand. i can vouch for this. haha. but when i go in the dunes im always in 4hi and on the throttle so i keep the RPM's up a little more.
We will test this using scientific methods on a real dune. and a giant treadmill.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #5263 of 40214 Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Jeebs's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I sold Nissans and Fords for ~2 years (back in the early 80's) and drove demo's for those 2 years. They were 100% free to me. I simply picked out any car/truck on the lot every ~3 months. Nice arraingement and similar to yours.
Nice! Isn't free great!

Steve/Jimmy
- Let me know if you are going to need my parking services. Disclaimer: They may be considerably dirtier when you return.
Jeebs is offline  
post #5264 of 40214 Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM
dwedeking
Registered User
 
dwedeking's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: carlsbad
Posts: 156
Quote:
Lo might make for less chance of wheel spin too.
I think this may be key. As your climbing the hill in 4HI your keeping a certain number of revolutions of wheels per second/minute/mile/whatever and a certain amount of forward momentum. As the steepness of the hill increases your forward momentum slows but your number of wheel revolutions stays constant causing you to dig. 4LO keeps this from happening as much because your slower wheel revolution delays that digging effect

Just a theory.

On sand in general I understand the need to keep momentum up to "float" over the surface and not allow the weight of the vehicle to bog down. While speed plays a part, momentum is key. Planning your route 2 or 3 dunes ahead, making wider turns, planning on where you start and stop are all keys to keep moving across open dunes.
dwedeking is offline  
post #5265 of 40214 Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,791
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I think this may be key. As your climbing the hill in 4HI your keeping a certain number of revolutions of wheels per second/minute/mile/whatever and a certain amount of forward momentum. As the steepness of the hill increases your forward momentum slows but your number of wheel revolutions stays constant causing you to dig. 4LO keeps this from happening as much because your slower wheel revolution delays that digging effect

Just a theory.

On sand in general I understand the need to keep momentum up to "float" over the surface and not allow the weight of the vehicle to bog down. While speed plays a part, momentum is key. Planning your route 2 or 3 dunes ahead, making wider turns, planning on where you start and stop are all keys to keep moving across open dunes.


Exactly, momentum is really king; buggys don't need it so much because they are light. If you are in hi you might be floored but only going 20 mph because of the drag but if you lose traction the wheels will spin up to speed pretty quickly and dig in.


btw, how do you feel.?

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here

Last edited by jbolty; 02-13-2008 at 09:12 AM.
jbolty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
San Diego Meet and Greet, Jan 2nd 11AM Fiesta Island Jeebs SanDiego 243 12-28-2012 06:30 PM
Monster Jam San Diego (January 23rd) Delta347 SanDiego 7 01-09-2010 09:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome