San Diego Area - Page 2716 - JeepForum.com
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #40726 of 40826 Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I found an old video of Taylor: Enjoy...... http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/tr...face/85299298/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40727 of 40826 Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

mother****er that hurt.
post #40728 of 40826 Old 03-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That video should be required to be shown to kids going through auto shop classes.

post #40729 of 40826 Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
He must have loosened it because when I blew off he was messing with the hood prop

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40730 of 40826 Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 AM
premo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jesus. Ouch. Yea I was thinking the same Jeff

I try not to ever do that but run one of these just incase there is some built up pressure when I go to take the cap off.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...R5axoCHQjw_wcB

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb
post #40731 of 40826 Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't been hanging around here much. Been hanging out here: https://www.talkspace.com/

I actually saw a commercial for that place on TV a few minutes ago.
post #40732 of 40826 Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Motorep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Oriflamme/Pinyon Mtn Trip Report

Trip Report: Did a day run yesterday with a few friends. My buddy Leo rode shotgun since his CJ-5 is in the shop getting a Howell fuel injection kit installed. My other buddy Todd in Mike's old rig also tagged along with his son and son-in-law too.

We originally planned on Oriflamme and Rodriguez Canyon. We made good time until we encountered a full size GMC Yukon going up Oriflamme. He was stuck at a boulder that had recently fallen on the shelf road so he backed down so we could pass. We told him we would go down to the switchback and wait to make sure he made it past the obstacle. Sure enough, he cleared it so we meandered on down to the grove.

When we arrived there was an Audi Q5 with a pop-up camped out above the turn in. There were also two SUV's in the small parking area but the owners weren't around. We then found running water through the middle of the treeline wash. Of course, the only reason the trees are there is because of the water but in the 15+ years of going down there it's the first time I've seen the creek running. If you get a chance to go out there before it dries up I recommend it.

Again, we were ahead of schedule so we decided to head out to Pinyon Mtn. On the way out we passed a few other trucks coming up the trail and then came upon an older couple in a stuck Tacoma. The husband said they had been stuck for about 45 minutes or so. I hooked my winch up and had them out in a few minutes. The obvious question is why didn't the trucks we passed stop and help out? My guess is that they either didn't know how or just didn't care. Hopefully Karma catches up to them in time.

Once we made it to the S2 we carefully drove the pavement to the trail head on aired down tires. We figured on running down to the Squeeze and then coming back up. Again, with only 2 rigs we were there in no time so we decided to drive down to Heart Attack Hill. However, I turtle'd myself before running the Squeeze and spent a few minutes doing pirouettes around a boulder. It was quite comical to say the least! Everyone had clean runs all the way out to Heart Attack.

When we made it to the drop we found one TJ at the bottom and a JK Unlimited at the top. We watched the the JKU owner do his run and I had to remind everyone of the "One Spotter" rule. After watching his run we made the decision to go ahead and run the drop and head out through Ocotillo. The other Jeeper's stayed to watch our runs too. I went first and had no issues with the "factory stretch" of my LJ adding some much needed stability on the drop. Todd let his son drive the drop so I stayed at the bottom chewing on beef jerky and drinking water. That thing sure is steep when you're looking up at it .

On the way out to Ocotillo we had to stop and look at the GPS to figure out were we were. I've always gone out Fish Creek and through Diablo so I got disoriented at the split. We figured it out in short order but asked a passing truck just to be sure. On the way out we saw about 10 individual Subaru's either driving up or camped out along the trail. When I told Leo that behind Jeep and Dodge Subaru's are the most common vehicles used off-road he was surprised. But after seeing them all on the trail all day he can see why.

We stopped to air up once we hit pavement. Leo attached my swaybar links while I manned the Powertank. Todd eventually had to stop for fuel in Santa Ysabel so we split up there. I made it back to Rancho Bernardo with a quarter tank of fuel and a dirty Jeep.

A few random notes:

I always ask any people or rig I pass on the trail if everything is okay. It's just proper trail etiquette and good manners. Last weekend Michelle and I drove out to Coyote Canyon and pulled out another stuck car along the way. Always help out if you can.

I installed a new speedo gear in the transfer case on Friday night. It's the first time I've ever had a Jeep that was reading the correct MPH. Since I plan on doing some longer distance runs with this rig it's gonna be imperative that the mileage reading is correct.

I'm getting some tire rubbing on the steering box bolts and sway bar. The plan is to install an Anti-rock but I need to add longer steering stops before then. Right now I have too much steering travel.

The longer wheelbase is nice on the trail when it's needed but I miss the TT I had on my TJ. It's on the build list and will be done later this year. For now I just need to remember I have less breakover than before.

Jeeps can do some crazy things! This was the first time my friend Leo has been on a real Jeep run and he was just amazed at some of the stuff we crawled over. He was even more impressed when we dropped down Heart Attack. He thought it would be a slip-n-slide ride to the bottom with all the loose DG. I lost track of how many times he said "I won't do that in the CJ!" Now he can't wait to get his back so we can do some trail runs.

"I remember when country music was George Jones and Dolly Parton," "Now it's the cast of 'Glee' with cowboy hats." -Ron White and his mother at the 2012 ACMA show
post #40733 of 40826 Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Sounds like a great time! I'd like to get the CJ road worthy enough to do some local day trips like that. Good on you for helping those people out of their stuck.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #40734 of 40826 Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I ain't been around much.....again.

Spent last Sunday - Tuesday in Rhode Island & Connecticut goofing off with the crew of a submarine bringing them up to speed.

I'm in Florida now visiting my daughter for a few days then its a quick trip over to the Eglin AFB control room to do some upcoming work. Fun stuff.

post #40735 of 40826 Old 04-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
I hear this time of the year is good for Tomahawk techs, eh Joe? Lol

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #40736 of 40826 Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Spent some time getting the CJ a bit more dialed in. Fixed the rear shock hoses and installed bump stops in the rear. Shortened the drag link and gave it an alignment. Quick test drive and I think I might be able to take this thing on the highway one day. Lets go wheeling!! *

* Disclaimer: After finals next month. When it's really hot. Lets go wheeling then.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #40737 of 40826 Old 04-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking it's gotten very quick on here. I haven't done a run since Superstition in Jan, and we have some newish people on here. Was thinking of trying to go to Corral Canyon on Sat. 4/15. Whose up for that?? Maybe we could finally meet some of new folks face to face.
post #40738 of 40826 Old 04-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
I can probably make that. I'd like a weekend trip but a day trip would be fine as well. I should get my trailer lights fixed...

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #40739 of 40826 Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Motorep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of doing a run on Saturday too. Let me know what you guys have in mind.

"I remember when country music was George Jones and Dolly Parton," "Now it's the cast of 'Glee' with cowboy hats." -Ron White and his mother at the 2012 ACMA show
post #40740 of 40826 Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I may be interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.