San Diego Area - Page 2363 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #35431
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright guys, I have this coming saturday off. I am going to be ordering some upper rear control arms. I want to have a wrenching party so I can get the 8.8 slung under the Jeep while installing a SYE into my TC, and putting in the new driveshaft.

The 8.8 needs to have some holes filled in the axles tubes, so if somebody could help me out there that would be great. My dad has gas mig welder. I think it may need gas, but I can probably handle that.

It's a day before my birthday, so I figure we can have a prebirthday wrenching party.

joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #35432
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
That wasn't so hard. $15 for the DOM

I'm inclined to not care about balancing it. There's 100% chance I'll bend it again and even the slightest bend would counteract any balancing. I ground the welds just to make the amount above the tube the same all around.

thoughts?
How about solid stock with sleeves? How thick wall is that tubing? I have built axles from solid (as long as you use the right material) and they can be pretty tough.

What I found was even stronger was a solid stock bar and a DOM tube that fits over it and rosette welded in a bunch of places. I have found this to be stronger than just plain solid tube, however I dont know why exactly, I would have thought a larger solid tube would be better, but when I did it it wasnt.

Just throwing it out there from my experience

Hey guys, been AWOL for a while! Been riding and racing motorcycles every weekend.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #35433
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
How about solid stock with sleeves? How thick wall is that tubing? I have built axles from solid (as long as you use the right material) and they can be pretty tough.

What I found was even stronger was a solid stock bar and a DOM tube that fits over it and rosette welded in a bunch of places. I have found this to be stronger than just plain solid tube, however I dont know why exactly, I would have thought a larger solid tube would be better, but when I did it it wasnt.

Hey guys, been AWOL for a while! Been riding and racing motorcycles every weekend.
Just tossing this out there. wouldn't you want to keep your shaft on the weaker side as not to have it so strong you damage everything it connects to?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #35434
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post

Looks to be about 1/4 thick. For some reason a tube seems to be stronger than a solid bar of the same size; I'm sure there is science involved.

The original stock driveshaft was a 1" solid bar. There is a real space issue with the auto trans. The first shaft I got from Tom Woods was a 2" tube and it hit the exhaust constantly.

In any case, if this works out ok I'm going to re-tube the other one I have and keep a spare in the RV. I have generally only bent one severely about once a year.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #35435
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks to be about 1/4 thick. For some reason a tube seems to be stronger than a solid bar of the same size; I'm sure there is science involved.

The original stock driveshaft was a 1" solid bar. There is a real space issue with the auto trans. The first shaft I got from Tom Woods was a 2" tube and it hit the exhaust constantly.

In any case, if this works out ok I'm going to re-tube the other one I have and keep a spare in the RV. I have generally only bent one severely about once a year.
Mine is 1-3/4" tube and only really hits rocks. I seem to go through one every time I go wheeling.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #35436
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
skip to 3:11.. you wont see that ever again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxpN0NDXtaU
rock bouncing... keeping the super swamper brand alive since 2005
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #35437
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i can seriously waste a whole day watching those guys destroy their rigs. good stuff
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #35438
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
i can seriously waste a whole day watching those guys destroy their rigs. good stuff
You can waste a whole day looking at butterflies too.
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #35439
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So today I pulled my jeep out of garage to go for a drive. Got to about 10 mph and I feel/hear this click click click and vibe in my trans shifter. WTH? After about 20 minutes of troubleshooting I cant find it but its in my drivetrain. not there in neutral while rolling. not my brakes or axles. I sure hope it's not my tranny.... So i pull it back into the garage and tear out my rear driveshaft. I notice it has a lot of play in the splines. I can move it quite a bit by hand in a twisting motion and when it was still in the jeep i had a lot of slop from the cardine to the axle yoke. So I pull the shaft, lock the front hubs, put it in 4hi and take it out again. Click/clack and vibe is gone...
SO I assume its my rear DS. Question is could it be in my Tcase? Will a bad case at the rear not be evident while only running with the front shaft? It's a 231. The DS is a HD Currie with a HD Currie SYE kit. So I go to their site to price a new shaft. Guess what? They dont sell my style shaft anymore. Now its something else.. LOVELY.
Does anyone have a currie shaft I can throw on for 10 minutes to troubleshoot before I run out and replace my whole damn jeep! Heres what the shaft looks like as well as the sye.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #35440
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have a spare rear shaft like that, I'll look when I get home.
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #35441
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Mine is 1-3/4" tube and only really hits rocks. I seem to go through one every time I go wheeling.
.... and large logs....

...bent front drive shaft in 4....3...2....

iphone5-6-26-13-1225-medium-.jpg
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #35442
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
.... and large logs....

...bent front drive shaft in 4....3...2....

That was a fun trip.
Unread 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #35443
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That was a fun trip.
Yes it was.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #35444
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok so the prognosis is this...feels like either a crapped out planetary gear or bearing in the tcase or something in my tranny. Seemed perfect only running the front DS though so ruling out the rear end and the tranny. Good time to just get that 3.8 atlas i've always wanted....God I HATE not knowing for sure what something is and also not planning on a repair/upgrade.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #35445
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You can waste a whole day looking at butterflies too.
There's a lot of truth to that statement. lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.