San Diego Area - Page 2361 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #35401
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yikes. glad your safe. at least you could of done was drive your bumper into the goons rearend! I would of

brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #35402
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
So today, there I was, just cruising along minding my own business, obeying CVC laws, listening to Barry Manilow (not really)...
I had to make a panic stop because some doosh nozzle decided to change lanes and stop in front of me. I slammed on the brakes so hard the rubber brake line on the right front caliper exploded at the fitting. Pop, then the peddle went to the floor immediately. Fortunately I was able to spin the steering wheel fast enough to go into the lane he came out of and missed him by a layer of paint. I wanted to get out and crush his gonads into his pelvic bone, but I was more concerned about my Jeep now sitting in the middle of the intersection.
Fortunately I was close to home and just used first and second gears and the e-brake to nurse it home. I may have gotten a gray hair or two from that one.
So, upgraded brake lines here I come. Already did the rears with the 8.8 install. Leads on lines anyone?
funny, as I was reading this i was thinking to myself "well, on the brighter side of things he has an excuse now for upgrades" then i saw the last sentance in your post. lol
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #35403
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So today, there I was, just cruising along minding my own business, obeying CVC laws, listening to Barry Manilow (not really)...
I had to make a panic stop because some doosh nozzle decided to change lanes and stop in front of me. I slammed on the brakes so hard the rubber brake line on the right front caliper exploded at the fitting. Pop, then the peddle went to the floor immediately. Fortunately I was able to spin the steering wheel fast enough to go into the lane he came out of and missed him by a layer of paint. I wanted to get out and crush his gonads into his pelvic bone, but I was more concerned about my Jeep now sitting in the middle of the intersection.
Fortunately I was close to home and just used first and second gears and the e-brake to nurse it home. I may have gotten a gray hair or two from that one.
So, upgraded brake lines here I come. Already did the rears with the 8.8 install. Leads on lines anyone?
Basing a guess on the age of the one that failed, a simple replacement of it with a new version would be quite the upgrade. Your system doesn't generate enough power to warrant anything else and it didn't fail because of the construction, it failed due to age, abuse, or some combination thereof. Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, stainless steel braided lines are not really an upgrade, are far more susceptible to abuse and not nearly as forgiving as the stock or OEM flex hoses.
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #35404
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

in relation to age, he's a lot older than his jeep is. Im surprised he didnt pop an artery. I to agree that no matter how hard you stand on the brakes, nothing should fail and the line is just old.
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #35405
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, stainless steel braided lines are not really an upgrade, are far more susceptible to abuse and not nearly as forgiving as the stock or OEM flex hoses.

Ain't that the truth, damage the brading on the stainless steel brake hoses and they pop like an over ripe pimple.

By the way said old rectangular headlight outfitted jalopy should have retained some brake function since it has a dual brake system. Even with a very low brake pedal it would still have rear brakes unless due to lack of maintenance the rear wheel cylinder pistons are frozen in their bores
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #35406
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Basing a guess on the age of the one that failed, a simple replacement of it with a new version would be quite the upgrade. Your system doesn't generate enough power to warrant anything else and it didn't fail because of the construction, it failed due to age, abuse, or some combination thereof. Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, stainless steel braided lines are not really an upgrade, are far more susceptible to abuse and not nearly as forgiving as the stock or OEM flex hoses.
Yeah I'm not sure how old they were. There came off a '95 Jeep when I change the front axle to a '95 with 4:10's.
Interesting you say that about the SS lines. I have also seen Kevlar ones. I am assuming they are a SS line with a Kevlar coating.
Somebody posted the GM 1500 truck uses the same hose but three inches longer. Can you confirm? If so I will just get those from NAPA or such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
in relation to age, he's a lot older than his jeep is. Im surprised he didnt pop an artery. I to agree that no matter how hard you stand on the brakes, nothing should fail and the line is just old.
Old jokes at a time like this? After the major trauma I went through you make jokes? YOU are older than my Jeep is! lol
I looked at the line and there is no visible sighs of wear, stretching, dry rot, etc... But yeah, probably almost as old as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, stainless steel braided lines are not really an upgrade, are far more susceptible to abuse and not nearly as forgiving as the stock or OEM flex hoses.

Ain't that the truth, damage the brading on the stainless steel brake hoses and they pop like an over ripe pimple.

By the way said old rectangular headlight outfitted jalopy should have retained some brake function since it has a dual brake system. Even with a very low brake pedal it would still have rear brakes unless due to lack of maintenance the rear wheel cylinder pistons are frozen in their bores
Thanks for the "over ripe pimple" graphic. I just had sour cream and guacamole on my enchalada. That helped the digestion.
RE the rear end... about three years ago I installed a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes. I turned the rotors, rebuilt the calipers and installed new pads and new shoes on the e-brake before I installed it. I did not take the portioning valve out because it stopped with all fours just fine. Does the '88 Wrangler have a dual brake master? I thought that was later models that had that. Not sure.
And Jalopy or not, I love my YJ.

EDIT: Got hooked up with the thread about the Chevy 1500 brake lines.
Quote:
1990 Chevy 1500
and they are four inches longer than stock.
Calling NAPA in the AM.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #35407
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead;
Thanks for the "over ripe pimple" graphic. I just had sour cream and guacamole on my enchalada. That helped the digestion.
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #35408
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This full of win

Unread 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #35409
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post

Yes, the shuttle valve in the combo valve can be shifted to close off the leaking circuit. Unfortunately that generally requires several pumps of the brake pedal to get the differential pressure to shift it and close off the circuit and it's not always easy to do or well known how to accomplish.
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #35410
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hope you had yer depends on.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #35411
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Rik for the Chevy 1500 lines you will need to grind the edge of the square base that attaches to the caliper, I am running these on my zj.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #35412
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...74740006_n.jpg

Here's some new wheels for Express
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #35413
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Hope you had yer depends on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0ungGunZJ View Post
Rik for the Chevy 1500 lines you will need to grind the edge of the square base that attaches to the caliper, I am running these on my zj.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrw600 View Post
I would totally ride that!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #35414
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrw600 View Post
I have only one question.

DOES IT WHEELIE??

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #35415
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Damn synthetic winch lines are expensive. Looking at the Viking 3/8 100' with safety thimble and the 350 series fairlead.. Not cheap...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.