San Diego Area - Page 2358 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #35356
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

dim was sum dang good wings and pale ale's

brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #35357
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It happens!
It shouldn't have happened!

Some hoon decided he would leave his stalled car parked on the freeway! Right in the middle of where the on ramp merges into the highway. Didn't see him until it was too late, swerved to avoid, fishtailed then BAM, hit someone.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #35358
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

How did you not see a parked car in your lane? Who are they gonna put at fault for that one?
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #35359
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Was a gorgeous weekend this past Sunday, me and some buds went for a ride, cruised up through Palomar, photographer happened to snag some pics of me.

Cool pic. Looks like he has a nice camera. I hope you were going slow with knobbies on pavement.
Bikes on the street are dangerous enough with street tires.
Yesterday a friend of ours was riding on a surface street and a truck decided to suddenly change lanes and enter a driveway. He hit the side of the truck, went under it and was run over. The funeral is probably this Saturday. He rode every day for many years. It only takes a second and you have no protection except on your skull. Just sayin' to stay aware.

Quote:
It shouldn't have happened!

Some hoon decided he would leave his stalled car parked on the freeway! Right in the middle of where the on ramp merges into the highway. Didn't see him until it was too late, swerved to avoid, fishtailed then BAM, hit someone.
Sucks about the wreck, but how did you not notice a non moving vehicle in front of you until it was too late? Not saying it's your fault, just curious.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #35360
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Sucks about the wreck, but how did you not notice a non moving vehicle in front of you until it was too late? Not saying it's your fault, just curious.
Most likely because, like many people, he was scanning back to see if anyone was entering the same ramp if it was a run through or looking for an open lane to enter the freeway. I've almost smacked a Sunday driver or 3 that decided stopping before entering the freeway was a good idea.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #35361
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
Most likely because, like many people, he was scanning back to see if anyone was entering the same ramp if it was a run through or looking for an open lane to enter the freeway. I've almost smacked a Sunday driver or 3 that decided stopping before entering the freeway was a good idea.
This. Looking over my shoulder to make sure it was clear to merge onto the highway, always double checking. I was doing some 60-65mph. The guy with the parked car was out of the on ramp lane, but right in the middle of the Y where the 2 lanes merge. The Fanita Drive on ramp to the 52 East is around a bend too so you can't really see farther than 2-3 seconds ahead of you.

The only option I had by the time I saw him was to swerve, which of course doesn't work out so well at those speeds in a small hatchback crossover HHR.

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #35362
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If people were smart enough to coast off the road when car problems present themselves there wouldn't be problems like this.
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #35363
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Cool pic. Looks like he has a nice camera. I hope you were going slow with knobbies on pavement.
They're not knobbies, they're dual sport tires, DOT and all. Completely different, and I have never been able to break them loose on the road

Quote:
Bikes on the street are dangerous enough with street tires.
Yesterday a friend of ours was riding on a surface street and a truck decided to suddenly change lanes and enter a driveway. He hit the side of the truck, went under it and was run over. The funeral is probably this Saturday. He rode every day for many years. It only takes a second and you have no protection except on your skull. Just sayin' to stay aware.
My motorcycle is no more dangerous than a car is. The only danger is people who don't pay attention when they are driving- those are the people that wind up hitting a biker. I'm always on the lookout for other bikers when I'm behind the wheel, always checking rear view mirrors every 5-10 seconds, using turn signals, gradually braking whenever possible, etc.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but that's the cold hard reality- the truck driver is at fault here from what you've said, there was no blame put onto your buddy.

PSA to all: Instead of everyone telling us how 'dangerous' motorcycles are, how about everybody start double checking before they merge or turn, always use your turn signals within 4-5 seconds before you merge or turn, and be on the lookout for every moving vehicle on the road, not just cars. You are more likely to be involved in an accident with a motorcycle when you aren't paying attention. Statistically speaking, the cagers are the dangerous ones, not us bikers. More bikers are in accidents because a cager wasn't paying attention then there are bikers involved in accidents from their own doing, or bikers causing accidents with cagers.

Quote:
See above

This is the first incident of any type I've had at work since I started there a few years back, hoping I still have a job come tomorrow morning...

Unread 01-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #35364
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If people were smart enough to coast off the road when car problems present themselves there wouldn't be problems like this.
The guy was sitting in his car when I passed him, that I do remember. We had to push him off the road because he didn't think to try to make it to the shoulder. I even had to tell him to put his keys in the ignition to unlock his steering wheel to keep from rolling right into the barrier. Some people...

Unread 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #35365
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

xpress, having been a rider for nearly 15 yrs I can tell you that it's like playing with a razor blade. stare at it all you want and be as careful as you want. Sooner or later your gonna get the sharp end... 2 accidents. Neither my fault. Both unavoidable. 2nd one, I should of been dead. Faced it at 70 on the freeway after getting cut off. Helmet almost shaved through to my head, compound fracture, Osteomyelitis ( bone infection), torn ACL, ruptured disc in my back, and a swollen brain for 2 days. I was a defender of riding, but get a little older and little more experienced and you'll understand. Not gonna preach but accept the fact that accidents happen EVERY day be it car on car or car on bike. The difference is is that when it's car on bike the bike NEVER wins. Knee's for bumpers and a head for a windshield.
Bikes are SO much fun, but when you're sitting in a wheelchair hooked up to a PIC line getting IV's 3 times a day for 6 months, depression from wake up to bed time (and that's being lucky) you re-evaluate that fun. What if you were on your bike and hit that guy? You'd be txting this from a med-surg bed in the hospital if you were lucky. And that street legal trail bike of yours wont do **** when you need to avoid a head on, t-bone, or oil slick at 50.
Stay safe......
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #35366
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They're not knobbies, they're dual sport tires, DOT and all. Completely different, and I have never been able to break them loose on the road

My motorcycle is no more dangerous than a car is. The only danger is people who don't pay attention when they are driving- those are the people that wind up hitting a biker. I'm always on the lookout for other bikers when I'm behind the wheel, always checking rear view mirrors every 5-10 seconds, using turn signals, gradually braking whenever possible, etc.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but that's the cold hard reality- the truck driver is at fault here from what you've said, there was no blame put onto your buddy.

PSA to all: Instead of everyone telling us how 'dangerous' motorcycles are, how about everybody start double checking before they merge or turn, always use your turn signals within 4-5 seconds before you merge or turn, and be on the lookout for every moving vehicle on the road, not just cars. You are more likely to be involved in an accident with a motorcycle when you aren't paying attention. Statistically speaking, the cagers are the dangerous ones, not us bikers. More bikers are in accidents because a cager wasn't paying attention then there are bikers involved in accidents from their own doing, or bikers causing accidents with cagers.

See above

This is the first incident of any type I've had at work since I started there a few years back, hoping I still have a job come tomorrow morning...

I hate to say it but I see idiot bikers everyday on the freeways of SoCal. There is no reason to split lanes when traffic is going 60+. Plus swerving through traffic at 20+ MPH over the speed of traffic is not safe. It is hard to look out for a reckless biker when they are pulling these things, don't forget that guy doing a wheelie past me on the highway in the oncoming traffic lane. I too rode my whole life up until a few years ago when I decided that the long run it would probably kill me.
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #35367
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this is an argument you WONT win. Jump a cherokee, yeah that was dumb, but defending bikes and saying that the car's are the idiots? Not gonna fly. Everyone is an idiot and it only takes one to come your way to REALLY screw your life up.
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #35368
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been a biker for 42 years. I've worked in the industry for 32 years. Yeah, bikes are kinda my life, love, and living Having said that, they do have their limitations and you have to respect what they can and can't do. I wouldn't call them unsafe but there is a skill set one must have to operate them safely. Sadly, most riders only think they have those skills and when the SHTF they're left exposed to their surroundings whether on the street or dirt. Most times the results aren't pretty.

Like most things in life it comes down to risk vs reward. Does the fact that you could die at any given moment at the hands of a negligent cager outweigh the enjoyment of riding? That's up to each individual to answer. For me the answer has always been "yes". However, as I've gotten older I've reduced the risk of exposure by not commuting and choosing my rides carefully. You're not having any less "fun" but you're limiting your contact with negligent drivers.

When I lived in the southeast I has into ww kayaking big time. One December day I was washed into a cave after I missed a line going over a waterfall. I'm still here (Thank God ) but I curtailed my class-V river running and found a happy medium pushing myself on more benign rivers. Again, the fun was still there but I limited my exposure to more severe situations.

Eventually the odds catch up to you no matter what you do. Anything you can do to swing the odds in your favor is a step in the right direction!
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #35369
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hate to say it but I see idiot bikers everyday on the freeways of SoCal. There is no reason to split lanes when traffic is going 60+. Plus swerving through traffic at 20+ MPH over the speed of traffic is not safe. It is hard to look out for a reckless biker when they are pulling these things, don't forget that guy doing a wheelie past me on the highway in the oncoming traffic lane. I too rode my whole life up until a few years ago when I decided that the long run it would probably kill me.
^^ This. But I want to add that California is the only state in the US that it is legal to split lanes, and they are working on getting that changed.
And an update on the fatal yesterday: The witnesses say the truck was in the right lane in heavy traffic. The motorcycle passed on the right in the parking lane as the truck was entering a driveway with his signal on. Looks like it was his mistake and he paid with his life. Police report says he was still alive when they arrived but was choking on blood but talking. No head injuries due to helmet use. Died at the scene.
I have witnessed two accidents involving bikes. Both from lane splitting. I lost a friend a few years back that was on Ortega and crossed the center line when he misjudged the curve. My son was on Ortega a few years ago and a guy in a pickup coming the other way cut across the line on a cruve and hit him in the shoulder with his rear view mirror. He went down and under the trucks rear wheel.
Nope, the bike itself isn't dangerous, people are.
And for the record, I had a dual sport with the same tires and slid out on a paved road that had a light layer of sand on it. I also slid out going around a corner and there was water in the gutter that crossed the road. They are knobbies, not street tires. DOT approved or not.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #35370
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

xpress, you've been on a jeep forum for quite some time now. When are you gonna go on a run? Your avatar isn't even a jeep.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.