San Diego Area - Page 2346 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #35176
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The axle truss is finally done, here are some pictures of Joe showing off his welding skills never new that by adding the truss the axle would look so big (i know its just a Dana 30 so do't make fun of me)

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #35177
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good TJ. I admit to looking into one of those for my 44's as well. Never seen one in person though.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #35178
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Yeah I should drive against the speed limiter in San Diego. lol

How do you know it was Siri? I am going to have to look that up now. Very interesting. I wonder if there is a special program for that. Betsy works with blind kids and she never mentioned anything like that.

Off to search Googlewebz....
You know, I guess I don't. I just made the mother of all assumptions based on what I saw. He was definitely blind and had the phone right up to his face similar to what people do when they're driving (which cracks me up btw). I don't own an iPhone but don't they only have a home button which is used door Siri? There was some chit chatter. I could have been mistaken, he was about 20' away. Definitely something worth looking into for Betsy though
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #35179
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
The axle truss is finally done, here are some pictures of Joe showing off his welding skills never new that by adding the truss the axle would look so big (i know its just a Dana 30 so do't make fun of me)
That'll never work
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #35180
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
That'll never work
Are you playing or serious?
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #35181
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 12-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #35182
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd like to hear a really in depth on this one. Theory and all of that as far as stress points on the various axles and how this type of truss is good or bad for it.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #35183
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Holy smokes Batman Is that a D30 or is it a D60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
I'd like to hear a really in depth on this one. Theory and all of that as far as stress points on the various axles and how this type of truss is good or bad for it.
I'm not a truss expert by any stretch. So no words of wisdom as far as expertise from me.

I have made a few and installed a few, but that's about it.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #35184
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
General consensus is, that it helps somewhat to keep the long side axle tube from bending
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #35185
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

having bent the long side of my 30 making an alignment worthless and causing my ARB to lose all its pre-load. A 30 is pretty thin walled so a truss will benefit it quite a bit. You can also do internal sleeves or both. Side note... Brown Santa came to my house today.. Tomorrow is my Saturday so you know I wont leave my garage for a few days
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #35186
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
having bent the long side of my 30 making an alignment worthless and causing my ARB to lose all its pre-load. A 30 is pretty thin walled so a truss will benefit it quite a bit. You can also do internal sleeves or both. Side note... Brown Santa came to my house today.. Tomorrow is my Saturday so you know I wont leave my garage for a few days
Have fun spoiling your baby
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #35187
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This 1/4" rokman plate rear bumper is pretty dang stout. Hear its a PITA to install. Gotta drop the back of the tank, notch out some of my stock rear crossmember, pull off my left and right rear body mounts, install blind hardware, then I can prep and paint... got some drilling to do for my frame tie ins, wire up my license plate lite-n-bolt light hardware, relocate my cb antenna. That's about it for now.
By the way, what do you do at UPS? I know a few aircraft mechanics over there, a couple of dock guys, a dock supervisor too. Ontario UPS I assume?
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #35188
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tractor mechanic. Aircraft mechanic would be sweet big bucks and a 3 day work week
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #35189
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Dana 30 in low or high pinion shares a common weakness with all the iterations of front axles under Jeeps from 87-06 and that is the upper balljoint hole in the inner C. If you stress the axle enough that a truss makes any difference in keep it alive, you will elongate or stretch the material around the upper balljoint and it is no longer a press fit.

The incidence of bent long side tubes is low enough that in the rare event that it does happen, you simply hit up a junkyard, toss a relatively few bucks at them and swap the parts over to the new housing.

If you truss it and beat on it enough to wallow out the upper balljoint hole, it now becomes less likely that you will toss and instead want to repair it. It can be done and I've sent out several inner C's to folks who have done it. It is not however, an easy or painless repair.

We love'em to death, but at the end of the day, they are still disposable housings.
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #35190
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
You can also do internal sleeves or both.
I have a JK HP 44 laying in the driveway. It was broken in half at the long side tube WITH the internal sleeves installed as per the directions. Would you like it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.