San Diego Area - Page 2329 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #34921
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Taylor, I just got back from Johnson Valley, so I did speak with Blaine and a couple others about this.

Everybody....I repeat, everybody, mentioned that whoever installed the ARB in your HPD30 did not put enough preload on it. All said its as simple as that.

On another note (a good one) we ran Hwy 20, Hwy 21, After Shock and Turkey Claw all yesterday.

Today we ran Spooners Canyon.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #34922
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Taylor, I just got back from Johnson Valley, so I did speak with Blaine and a couple others about this.

Everybody....I repeat, everybody, mentioned that whoever installed the ARB in your HPD30 did not put enough preload on it. All said its as simple as that.
I'm thinking that as well... once I get it rebuilt and re-installed I will have somebody with the proper tools check it and make it right.

Quote:
On another note (a good one) we ran Hwy 20, Hwy 21, After Shock and Turkey Claw all yesterday.

nicely done!
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #34923
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So you did end up making it to JV, at least some one from SD actually had some wheeling time(copilot still counts)

Who is available next weekend I need to test out my ARB, time to check if I have enough preload on my Dana 30
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #34924
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto
So you did end up making it to JV, at least some one from SD actually had some wheeling time(copilot still counts) Who is available next weekend I need to test out my ARB, time to check if I have enough preload on my Dana 30
If it's the older style Arb, you may consider selling it. Honestly, I may go that route if I ever get this one fixed.

Dealing with repairing it is next to impossible since Arb no longer makes parts
Unread 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #34925
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the ARBS fault its the loss of pre-load. Either the installer didnt do it right or it lost proload when/if your housing flexed/bent. I'd put a shiny silver dollar down saying your housing could very well be bent. Just enough to make it do what it did to me.... Lose it's preload causing it to fail. The only thing that is of concern with the older style arb's is the bolt design that holds the right side on. When there preload fails those 13 lb bolts shear or walk out then the arb wobbles inside causing self destruction. PRE LOAD is key.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #34926
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint
It's not the ARBS fault its the loss of pre-load. Either the installer didnt do it right or it lost proload when/if your housing flexed/bent. I'd put a shiny silver dollar down saying your housing could very well be bent. Just enough to make it do what it did to me.... Lose it's preload causing it to fail. The only thing that is of concern with the older style arb's is the bolt design that holds the right side on. When there preload fails those 13 lb bolts shear or walk out then the arb wobbles inside causing self destruction. PRE LOAD is key.
I'm not saying it is the fault of the ARB... The point is however, you cannot get parts for them. So if it were me, I would consider selling it while it still works and upgrading.

If I can get mine fixed I will probably go that route.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #34927
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

did you call arb directly? When I called them and told them what happened they sent me the parts FOR FREE. Shipping was FREE too
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #34928
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
did you call arb directly? When I called them and told them what happened they sent me the parts FOR FREE. Shipping was FREE too
yes.

they do not make parts for the RD30 anymore and do not stock them. they told me to call the distributors and retailers to see if anyone had any sitting on a shelf.

I found one part at Just differentials, it is being shipped. I am still short a side-gear.
Poly doesnt have them, MIT, 4wp, San Diego gear, Border Parts, etc. I called maybe 10 or 12 places yesterday.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #34929
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yikes. Well, walk pick a part. Jeff found one sitting on the ground.... Personally, I think it's God telling you it's time for a bigger front end!
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #34930
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
yikes. Well, walk pick a part. Jeff found one sitting on the ground.... Personally, I think it's God telling you it's time for a bigger front end!
if God wants me to have a D60... then I shall... he need only release the funds to my account
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #34931
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

whats your paypal, I'll slip it into the Catholic bibles before mass. And I'm pretty sure you gotta have a frame on your vehicle before you can have a 60. It's only etiquette.
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #34932
cr4zyfkr

Hi guys. Haven't checked in for a while. We are taking the family out to Ocotillo Wells today to watch the big toys and take lots of pictures. Keep an eye out for the stock WK doing things stock WKs shouldn't be doing.
cr4zyfkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #34933
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Preload or not Joe, the old style ARB in a D30 will eventually fail, the D30 housing opens up when you work it hard, lil .
bolts that hold the locker together will fail and not so good things start happening. Only happens with the D30 as far as I know, older style locker doesn't have that problem in a D44 or D60. To be honest Detroit lockers in a D30 suffer the same malady when worked hard.
Looks like you and Blaine's group ran some fun trails
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #34934
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Art, I know what you mean. Perhaps his housing flexed enough to cause the beginning of the end. If he removed the ARB "easily", and then inspected the housing to see if it was bent, that would give a better idea of if the housing was the contributing factor. I doubt it though knowing how often certain shops screw the pooch on this.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #34935
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Even with a lot of preload on the ARB it will leak air when you crawl through big rocks. I used a spreader when installing, still had to tap the locker in. when getting up and through tough stuff it would cycle the compressor which means to me the diff housing is opening up. Still want to try and make a girdle someday to see if it keeps the housing from opening up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.