San Diego Area - Page 2315 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #34711
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

depends how much money you have. 188k is up there but if the motor is still sound, why bother? Replace the pump, inspect the radiator. Do a flush of your cooling system while your there and get a new therm. Throw it all together and I bet it'll be just fine.. If the tired engine is concerning, start saving some money for that day but I dont think that day is any time soon. And btw, dont buy autozone crap. Get it from the dealer. Make it last.

brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #34712
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 4.slow has 207k on it, still runs fantastic, doesn't burn oil, etc.

But it was decently cared for. Almost all of those miles have been from my dad or me (it was his jeep before mine)

I imagine I'll get another 30 or 40k out of it before I even think of rebuilding it.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #34713
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my 97 has 126k miles on it. only thing on my jeep that isnt moded in some way. Hell, I still have the original plug wires. going uphill on highways (8 near Alpine) it has a hard time sometimes but I do have about 400 extra lbs on it. Give or take a little. When it goes it goes. It'll be a Gen III V8 at that point.
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #34714
imustbenuts
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,

I haven't been on in a while but stopping by to say hello and ask for assistance. It looks like my 06 TJ is the latest victim of bad tappets(lifters) and may have plagued the CAM. Don't know for sure yet. I like to DIY but don't know how confident I am ripping the head off myself. Who would you go to in town for major engine work? I'm in the Southbay but would tow where needed for peace of mind on the repair. Or if anyone is skilled on this job and wants to assist me for a little extra cash I'm game. Any thoughts??

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14898082/The%20Bump%20ABD.mov
imustbenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #34715
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Water pump blew up, I assume the bearing inside of it let go, the fan wobbled around and took a chunk out of the top of the radiator shroud. I am hoping the radiator made it out without damage...

Serpentine belt of course got tossed out of place when that happened, only drove it about a mile with no water pump, and the engine was cold (half of that was with the engine off to keep from draining my brand new battery). The thing has 188K miles on it, so I'm wondering if it will be fine for a long time with just replacing some parts here and there, or if I should just go through and rebuild the entire thing and not worry about it.
I'm sure it's fine. Throw a new pump on it and keep trucking. Fyi I have well over 230k on my motor. I've had plenty of cars with over 300k. It's all in regular maintenance, how you drive and sometimes dumb luck
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #34716
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
depends how much money you have. 188k is up there but if the motor is still sound, why bother? Replace the pump, inspect the radiator. Do a flush of your cooling system while your there and get a new therm. Throw it all together and I bet it'll be just fine.. If the tired engine is concerning, start saving some money for that day but I dont think that day is any time soon. And btw, dont buy autozone crap. Get it from the dealer. Make it last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
I'm sure it's fine. Throw a new pump on it and keep trucking. Fyi I have well over 230k on my motor. I've had plenty of cars with over 300k. It's all in regular maintenance, how you drive and sometimes dumb luck
I only buy crap from AZ when I have to. Mostly it comes from O'reillys when I need a part, don't like having to drive across town to get a part.

Rebuilding it is just a thought. I'd hate to stick it in the Jeep and only get one summer out of it. Never know when it comes to PO's. Sure I've punched WOT a time or two slamming around in the mud, but who hasn't? I am normally ontop of the maintenance too.

I figure it'll get new plugs wires, plugs, some new parts here and there, re-seal valve covers (looks like the drivers side is seeping just a tiny bit), new vacuum lines, etc. when it goes into the YJ.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #34717
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had the Beetle towed today.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #34718
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
The run is in 2 weeks, not next weekend.
Ooh yeah, that's what I meant...
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #34719
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome, some a-hole stole my spare set of doors from behind my garage. They're maroon if anyone comes across any for sale, but I'm guessing they're in TJ or at the recyclers by now..
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #34720
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well... If it's any consolation...

Some ******* stole about $30 worth of candy from me last night... Not sure what else, haven't looked yet... Hoping all my tools are still there...
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #34721
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

premo send me a pic of the doors and I'll keep my eye open on CL. XPRESS send me a pic of the candy so I can check all of the local elementary schools. Hopefully they didnt get any tools.
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #34722
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have any handy. Passenger side is cut into a half door. They're maroon, faded and real ugly. Probably never see them again. Effin irritating though. I would have given them to someone if they would have asked..

Stolen candy? From where?
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #34723
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

General rule thats kept theft away from me for a good 12 yrs now. Prior to that I got broken into and my jeep messed with about 3 times.
1.) GARAGE. I REFUSE to live somewhere where I don't have one.
2.) Out of sight out of mind
3.) Don't take your vehicle somewhere where you can't constantly keep an eye on it. I'm rather paranoid actually. Our vehicles aren't like other vehicles. They may look beat up and kinda used but to the trained eye they know just how damn expensive they are and what we have into them. Hell just my front end is the cost of a good running used honda accord.

NEVER leave anything laying out. I get paranoid camping in the desert and leaving stuff at camp. There's 5 pieces of shiet for every but. But I didnt think they'd know it was there. But I was only gone for 5 minutes. But but but....

Sorry for the loss. Can you go to pick-a-part and snag some "new" ones?
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #34724
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yea, i know. its really not to big of a deal, more frustrating then anything else. i dont need them, they were just spares for incase i put my rig on its side or caught a tree or something stupid. i got them for next to nothing from someone that was sending their junk to the junk yard. just irritating is all that someone rifled thru my crap behind my garage. the weird thing was that they were under a huge pile or trash adn cardboard tucked away behind more trash and card board: Urban camoflauge. ill live to see another day. lol
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #34725
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so your saying we should be more concerned about Xpress' candy then?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.