San Diego Area - Page 2314 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #34696
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
Man that sucks Jeff I was always concerned with damage to the R&P and locker with 30 spline or chromoly shafts. Seems if you get twisted up that force has to go somewhere and I'd rather blow stock axle shafts/u-joints than something in the diff. They're easy enough to swap out on the trail and used ones are had cheap enough to keep a few as spares.
Having ready access to spares is one reason I stuck with 27 spline.

Mark (progear) said he has general used chromo inner shafts and stock outers. There are pros and cons to using the "fuse" theory but no matter how you build some one thing has to be the weakest part. To me it seems better if it's cheap one.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #34697
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Was he able to diagnose what failed?
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #34698
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429
Good to hear, Jeff. Wise choice. Does that mean you can go to the Melanoma run with me next weekend?
The run is in 2 weeks, not next weekend.
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #34699
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the driver
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #34700
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
Was he able to diagnose what failed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
the driver
I blame the spotter.
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #34701
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If i recall, it went out when you were driving AWAY from that lil obstacle. You were basically on a simple itty bitty wash climb so if you needed a spotter for that, it was the driver...
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #34702
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If i recall, it went out when you were driving AWAY from that lil obstacle. You were basically on a simple itty bitty wash climb so if you needed a spotter for that, it was the driver...
There was a shopping cart in my way.
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #34703
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

LMAO . That was a good one. bt, if your ARB failed before it blew out your ring/pinion which I dont really see how, you might wanna get the housing trussed. Thin walled dana 30's and crazy strong ARB's dont mix well. Thats why my ARB started walking out. I lost my preload. Get one of those sexy Arctec trusses. That way you can also glue some tuperware to the top of it to store a solenoid or something.. Think of the possibilities
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #34704
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any front shocks laying around I can use? I don't want to get into swapping towers or some other fancy mods; maybe next year.

With the axle hanging the distance ,mount to mount, is just shy of 28" The distance to the bump stop is 9 1/2 so I need about 10" of travel.

The old shocks were acting as limiting straps. The axle dropped about 2 1/2 inches further with them off.
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #34705
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

get some bilstein's... GREAT SHOCKS
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #34706
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I concur. I love mine. Great bang for buck
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #34707
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jeep you might want the bilstein 4600's or the 5100's. the 4600's are the yellow ones , the 5100's are the silver ones. I run 5100's in my rear and have for about 10 yrs + . The only thing yellow I've ever had in my jeep was an asian chick.. Those were the days...
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #34708
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If I had to buy again I would get fox 2.0s from savvy
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #34709
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

for the 30 bucks more, I agree.... but then jeff's jeep would ride like a tj and he wouldnt know what to do with himself. He might even pull off the door cushions.
Unread 10-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #34710
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
why would you rebuilt an engine just because the water pump went out? Did you drive it another 5 miles with no water in it and temps were pegged? Was the pump just leaking through the weap hole? Details please.
Water pump blew up, I assume the bearing inside of it let go, the fan wobbled around and took a chunk out of the top of the radiator shroud. I am hoping the radiator made it out without damage...

Serpentine belt of course got tossed out of place when that happened, only drove it about a mile with no water pump, and the engine was cold (half of that was with the engine off to keep from draining my brand new battery). The thing has 188K miles on it, so I'm wondering if it will be fine for a long time with just replacing some parts here and there, or if I should just go through and rebuild the entire thing and not worry about it.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.