San Diego Area - Page 2311 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #34651
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
My understanding on welding a truss (No experience just book/research on the process) is that you weld an inch or 2 then move to the other side of that tube and come back an inch then go to the other side of the tube and same process. About 30 minutes between sessions to let it cool and you're good.
The point is that there is nothing you can do to stop the weld from moving metal. The only way is to straighten it after the welding is done, or do the exact same amount of weld on the opposite side to pull it back straight.

Ya'll should watch them put new treads on a dozer track sometime.

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #34652
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The point is that there is nothing you can do to stop the weld from moving metal. The only way is to straighten it after the welding is done, or do the exact same amount of weld on the opposite side to pull it back straight.

Ya'll should watch them put new treads on a dozer track sometime.
Using a squirt welder to weld new bars on the track plates fun. Talk about laying down some metal in a hurry.
Straightening 1" or thicker plates by welding on the back side of the plate is a pretty nifty activity also

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #34653
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
do the exact same amount of weld on the opposite side to pull it back straight.
exactly my point
you cant stop metal from warping, but you can control it. Just like you cant stop a woman from cheating but you can smack that ho down... with a mask on of course... no one wants a record.... just say'n
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #34654
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
exactly my point
you cant stop metal from warping, but you can control it. Just like you cant stop a woman from cheating but you can smack that ho down... with a mask on of course... no one wants a record.... just say'n
Let go of the hate Kevin

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #34655
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
exactly my point
If that is exactly your point then it is the same as mine. It matters not how much weld you run at one time because each weld will still pull or distort the metal exactly the same amount so it doesn't matter if he welds 2" or 2', the distortion will be the same.

This is simple to prove. If you have a HP 30 and would like a truss like his on it, fetch it all up, prep it for welding and bring it to me. I'll weld it all in one shot for free and if it distorts 1/16" more than Taylor's has, I'll get you a new housing, buy you a new truss, and let you weld it up however you like.
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #34656
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got the '74 Bug, though its not a Super. Oh well. Waiting to have it towed to my Gmas house, then the work begins.

joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #34657
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

did you find a trailer to use?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #34658
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

For Sale. OME gas charged shocks.

Gently used.
s1.jpg   s3.jpg  
s2.jpg

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #34659
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll give you 2 dollars American you deliver personally.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #34660
Web Welder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The retardedness regarding the regurgitated interweb "welding facts" I find amusing. Very amusing...Ever heard of weld creep? No, you most certainly haven't.

Everyone seems to claim they're no welding expert, yet continue to speak as one. I've been doing this 20 years this coming February, and I'm still no expert. I've been certified in D1.1, D1.2, D1.6, D14.3, and D15.1, structural, holding tanks, pressure vessels, prototype weapons and weapons systems for the DOD, in most processes (you don't SMAW weld aluminum), and in all positions. What have you "experts" ever been certified in and done on a daily basis to put money in your pockets?

2" of weld and let it cool completely. Sure. Keep dreaming...Obviously you've never worked a pipeline, oil rig, production shop, job shop or OEM manufacturer. You wouldn't even pass the welder qualification test. Seems to me you've read crap on the interweb and bought into it...

Control your warping through skip welding here and there...only if you're a ****ing welding engineer genius. Computer programs now figure that **** out so that every part is right the first time, and every time after that. Anything less is a guess at best...

If you can properly explain to me a simple GMAW weld procedure, and what changes affect welding characteristics and properties I might listen...Bonus point for explaining anything difficult such as electrode chemistry, affects of reactive and non-reactive gasses and their different mix ratios and advantages and disadvantages with each, stickout and contact tip/nozzle length ratios, as well as metal transfer modes and deposition rates and anything else you happen to know. And lets just stick with mild steel for now. We can get into stainless steels and aluminum alloys if you wish at a later time. GTAW, SMAW, SAW, and CAC if you so desire as well.

Otherwise STFU and listen to Blaine as he knows what he speaks. And so do I.

If you want to learn, listen up. Otherwise go pound sand and continue to be a wanna be welder.

Allen
27ab13d88010727cc10d8c9500733945.png

Web Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #34661
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If that is exactly your point then it is the same as mine. It matters not how much weld you run at one time because each weld will still pull or distort the metal exactly the same amount so it doesn't matter if he welds 2" or 2', the distortion will be the same.

This is simple to prove. If you have a HP 30 and would like a truss like his on it, fetch it all up, prep it for welding and bring it to me. I'll weld it all in one shot for free and if it distorts 1/16" more than Taylor's has, I'll get you a new housing, buy you a new truss, and let you weld it up however you like.
not true. You have to also control the heat. You should know this Blaine. Wet towel, 2 inch runs, then a cool down, whatever the case, if you sit there and run a 1 ft weld on a 1 ft piece of metal with out taking the heat into consideration you WILL warp it. If you want to play stats, yes ALL metal will warp when you weld on it. How much is up to the welder. Thinner the metal the easier to warp. No pissing contest. Prove your angle all you want I wont continuously weld on stuff esp if its a long run. Start on one end go about 1/8th down w/o using a full height bead. Stop. Go to the other side run 1/8th down. stop go to the middle run a 1/8th run. stop. let it cool. Then come back and run a long bead. Try tig welding paper thin Al w/o burning through or warping. When you do, you'll understand heat transfer. That or snatching the pebble from my hand.
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #34662
Web Welder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not true. You have to also control the heat. You should know this Blaine. Wet towel, 2 inch runs, then a cool down, whatever the case, if you sit there and run a 1 ft weld on a 1 ft piece of metal with out taking the heat into consideration you WILL warp it. If you want to play stats, yes ALL metal will warp when you weld on it. How much is up to the welder. Thinner the metal the easier to warp. No pissing contest. Prove your angle all you want I wont continuously weld on stuff esp if its a long run. Start on one end go about 1/8th down w/o using a full height bead. Stop. Go to the other side run 1/8th down. stop go to the middle run a 1/8th run. stop. let it cool. Then come back and run a long bead. Try tig welding paper thin Al w/o burning through or warping. When you do, you'll understand heat transfer. That or snatching the pebble from my hand.
Wet towel quenching a weld...genius.

Go take a metallurgy class...

Wet towels must be some sort of industry standard I've somehow missed the last 19 years.

Allen
27ab13d88010727cc10d8c9500733945.png

Web Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #34663
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Welder View Post
The retardedness regarding the regurgitated interweb "welding facts" I find amusing. Very amusing...Ever heard of weld creep? No, you most certainly haven't.

Everyone seems to claim they're no welding expert, yet continue to speak as one. I've been doing this 20 years this coming February, and I'm still no expert. I've been certified in D1.1, D1.2, D1.6, D14.3, and D15.1, structural, holding tanks, pressure vessels, prototype weapons and weapons systems for the DOD, in most processes (you don't SMAW weld aluminum), and in all positions. What have you "experts" ever been certified in and done on a daily basis to put money in your pockets?

2" of weld and let it cool completely. Sure. Keep dreaming...Obviously you've never worked a pipeline, oil rig, production shop, job shop or OEM manufacturer. You wouldn't even pass the welder qualification test. Seems to me you've read crap on the interweb and bought into it...

Control your warping through skip welding here and there...only if you're a ****ing welding engineer genius. Computer programs now figure that **** out so that every part is right the first time, and every time after that. Anything less is a guess at best...

If you can properly explain to me a simple GMAW weld procedure, and what changes affect welding characteristics and properties I might listen...Bonus point for explaining anything difficult such as electrode chemistry, affects of reactive and non-reactive gasses and their different mix ratios and advantages and disadvantages with each, stickout and contact tip/nozzle length ratios, as well as metal transfer modes and deposition rates and anything else you happen to know. And lets just stick with mild steel for now. We can get into stainless steels and aluminum alloys if you wish at a later time. GTAW, SMAW, SAW, and CAC if you so desire as well.

Otherwise STFU and listen to Blaine as he knows what he speaks. And so do I.

If you want to learn, listen up. Otherwise go pound sand and continue to be a wanna be welder.

Allen
I don't know who the **** you are, but you really need to calm down.

I'm a bit confused was it me you were trying to talk **** to?
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #34664
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, you realize we're talking about putting one piece of metal onto another piece of metal FOR A JEEP right?

Also, did you really sign up for this site just to settle an internet debate?
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #34665
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Welder View Post
Wet towel quenching a weld...genius.

Go take a metallurgy class...

Wet towels must be some sort of industry standard I've somehow missed the last 19 years.

Allen
Pretty sure that his posts will either get pulled or he'll just have an aneurism. That pipe licking attitude belongs on Pirate. I kinda like to think of the SD forum as a bunch of family members and pretty sure no one talks to ea other like that around here. Go build your pipes. Towel quenching, yeah I'll continue to do it. Havent had a weld fail on me in 15 yrs of abuse with "genius" welding. Have you ever laid on your back on a bunch of rocks and ants and had to do a trail weld with 3 batteries and only one chance? God I hate people who act all mighty. Keep welding that web........ As much as I wanna banter and piss back at you I'll keep it mellow because after all, fools like you only want attention via places like this. Only way they can take out there frustrations from their spouse beating them down all day apparently.
How did this turn into a simple truss weld job to a bunch of who's better at something. Maybe your the best damn welder I'd ever meet. Probably not though. Blaine, from what I hear is a good figure outter and that's cool. Being humble and being a prick are much like being gifted and being a retard. Which one are you?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.