San Diego Area - Page 2308 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #34606
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
neither are fords or dodges anymore.

toyotas are the most american truck these days.
My Ford truck was assembled in Kentucky and it comes from an American company. Toyotas may also be assembled in America but it is still far from an American company so I will at least attempt to keep my money here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Toyota and Nissan manufacture their trucks in America, using primarily American made parts, assembled entirely by Americans. The Tacoma is basically only sold here. Very little profit goes overseas (maybe 1% or less), since they have to pa for manufacturing costs as well as dealership and manufacturer plant costs. If most of the profits go overseas, how do I, as well as some 100,000 other Toyota Motors North America employees get paid?
Profits are what come after every and all bills are paid including labor. What you work for is a dealership and not actually Toyota themselves unless they do things differently than most other dealerships. I understand they assemble their trucks here with some US parts but the Toyota corperation is still in business to make a profit and at less than 1% going back to the owners they would not bother to even keep it open. As a business owner myself I would never put my name on anything if there was no return.

I understand they are giving jobs to americans who are spending their money locally but they are also getting who knows how many incentives from our government like no taxes for so long and what not to do so. They are still not an American company and their best interests are not in this country like mine are so I choose not to support them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
'MURICA!

Nice!

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #34607
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
The greatest thing that America has ever produced is debt. We make ALOT of it.
We do and it is our own fault. I have no idea where we went wrong but we went to the extreme.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #34608
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There's a VERY interesting netflix documentary about how America is designed to NEVER come out of debt. How the Federal Reserve prints basically worthless paper and then loans it to the Gov and puts a value on it. Then the gov creates loans with money it doesnt have. They use the interest on our cards to keep things flowing. With out that interest and the economy would literally collapse. Its worth 2 hrs of your time to educate yourself. Goes all the way to the Carnage's, Henry Ford, the big oil companies and tobacco. Why do you think electric cars wont take off? Big Oil. Why do you think everyone is so sick? Big Pharmaceutical, Why do you think we go to war? Big oil and Big Pharmaceutical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We do and it is our own fault. I have no idea where we went wrong but we went to the extreme.
To a degree, yes. But it is also in the grand plan. You cant get a home or a car and sometimes a job without credit. The only way to obtain credit is to become a sucker to interest. Then you get that car you need and there's interest on it. The home has interest. Now you got a home and a car. Insurance on both, payments with interest on both. Taxes on both, Maintenance on both. So the downward spiral begins shortly after high school.....
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #34609
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
There's a VERY interesting netflix documentary about how America is designed to NEVER come out of debt. How the Federal Reserve prints basically worthless paper and then loans it to the Gov and puts a value on it. Then the gov creates loans with money it doesnt have. They use the interest on our cards to keep things flowing. With out that interest and the economy would literally collapse. Its worth 2 hrs of your time to educate yourself. Goes all the way to the Carnage's, Henry Ford, the big oil companies and tobacco. Why do you think electric cars wont take off? Big Oil. Why do you think everyone is so sick? Big Pharmaceutical, Why do you think we go to war? Big oil and Big Pharmaceutical.

To a degree, yes. But it is also in the grand plan. You cant get a home or a car and sometimes a job without credit. The only way to obtain credit is to become a sucker to interest. Then you get that car you need and there's interest on it. The home has interest. Now you got a home and a car. Insurance on both, payments with interest on both. Taxes on both, Maintenance on both. So the downward spiral begins shortly after high school.....
I agree with that second part to a certain extent. I was raised a little different and to save my money before buying things. Work hard and struggle then you reward yourself later with it. That is how I live my life except I did finance my home because I didn't feel like saving 15 years to pay cash although that would have been easily done. If more people would realize just how much money they can save by paying cash for things we would be in better shape as people. Saving then reward is a lost trait. We are brainwashed to go out and finance that new TV or other luxury item for the reasons you state above.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #34610
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I agree with that second part to a certain extent. I was raised a little different and to save my money before buying things. Work hard and struggle then you reward yourself later with it. That is how I live my life except I did finance my home because I didn't feel like saving 15 years to pay cash although that would have been easily done. If more people would realize just how much money they can save by paying cash for things we would be in better shape as people. Saving then reward is a lost trait. We are brainwashed to go out and finance that new TV or other luxury item for the reasons you state above.
This. To this day I still don't like the idea of credit cards. Although, as a college student I had learned to realize their importance. But now that I'm done, I hate having one. I know that's a small example in the big picture of how America is operated, but I feel that you make a good point on the overall mentality of a significant portion of this country which overall plays a large part in where we are at as a whole and why.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #34611
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Profits are what come after every and all bills are paid including labor. What you work for is a dealership and not actually Toyota themselves unless they do things differently than most other dealerships. I understand they assemble their trucks here with some US parts but the Toyota corperation is still in business to make a profit and at less than 1% going back to the owners they would not bother to even keep it open. As a business owner myself I would never put my name on anything if there was no return.
Toyota Motors North America is basically an independant company that is owned by TMC.

Quote:
I understand they are giving jobs to americans who are spending their money locally but they are also getting who knows how many incentives from our government like no taxes for so long and what not to do so. They are still not an American company and their best interests are not in this country like mine are so I choose not to support them.
Which company are you talking about? Toyota Motors North America, or Toyota Motor Corporation? Obviously they have interests here, because they are moving manufacturing and assembly plants here, even Lexus is doing that lately. It cuts down on manufacturing costs a lot. All of the TMNA guys are about as white American as it gets The team that designed the Tacoma is all American, headed by an American.

Also, one thing you will find with Toyota that other manufacturers really don't offer is the customer support. The others might seem friendly on the surface, but when things go down, I have not seen other companies do what Toyota does to keep their customers.

As a general example, without going too deep into details, I have seen incidents where a customer can't afford a particular failed component on their car, one that is vital to the vehicles operation. Since the customer is a good customer and takes their car to the dealership for everything, Toyota has actually good-willed out that component to the customer, just to they could keep that customer happy, and keep them coming into the dealership to service their vehicle. When a company does that kind of thing just to keep one customer from going away with a bad experience, it really does tell you that the company cares more about the customer than they do about the profit margins.

Another thing they did more recently is they gave away 2 cars to a customer. That particular customer bought the 50 millionth Toyota vehicle sold here in the USA (not surprisingly it was a Camry), so they gave him the title to the Camry, free and clear, as well as presented the customer with a brand new Rav4, you can see the video here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/29/t...ustomer-video/

Since someone is bound to bring up the recall issues, Toyota is actively seeking to improve their vehicles safety and reliability, and often times the recalls are of absolutely no charge to the customer. Most other manufacturers don't do their recalls in the same manner Toyota does them.

I know I sound like a PR spokesperson for Toyota, but in all honesty, I am merely just a Porter, I don't get paid to say any of this stuff, infact most of it is public information that I've researched out to better inform the nay-sayers.

All in all, it's up to you to buy whatever vehicle you want. I personally am a JDM guy, my family has always owned some kind of JDM, and they have proven their durability and reliability, regardless of what some people say. Wish my Jeep was as reliable as one of my Toyotas
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #34612
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Of course they have interests here, this is where we all spend like crazy. We are fools with our money. Then hiring white Americans still does change the fact that they are not an american based company no matter how you turn it. I never said they were not good vehicles or anything about the customer service. I am just old fashioned when it comes to where I try and keep my money and I would rather see 100% of it stay in this country but that is also damn near impossible now days.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #34613
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well pretty much every penny you spend nowadays gets shared through other nations, really no point in trying to keep it here anymore. I personally don't see the big issue, so what if you can't keep or make everything here in the states? We are a multi-nationality Country, so long as we all get along then big deal.

For example, I am both Japanese and Native American. Might be why I support Japanese products though....

Bottom line, buy whatever product you want. I personally like to buy a quality product regardless of where it comes from, and that's why I tend to stick with Toyota vehicles, they have proven their durability and reliability.

Wish I could say the same for the Ford I was in earlier today, decided it wanted to go into limp mode amidst my trip to El Cajon Ford, stranding me on the freeway.
Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #34614
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, I gotta agree with Chris on this one. Pay cash for your toys and pay off your credit card each month. Better yet, use a rewards card and get cash back. My credit card company pays me to use their money. How great is that
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #34615
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
Well pretty much every penny you spend nowadays gets shared through other nations, really no point in trying to keep it here anymore. I personally don't see the big issue, so what if you can't keep or make everything here in the states? We are a multi-nationality Country, so long as we all get along then big deal.

For example, I am both Japanese and Native American. Might be why I support Japanese products though....

Bottom line, buy whatever product you want. I personally like to buy a quality product regardless of where it comes from, and that's why I tend to stick with Toyota vehicles, they have proven their durability and reliability.

Wish I could say the same for the Ford I was in earlier today, decided it wanted to go into limp mode amidst my trip to El Cajon Ford, stranding me on the freeway.
I have had good luck with fords, my 6.0 has just about 400,000 miles on it now with minimal problems, original motor. My 7.3 has 320,000 miles and has never had a major issue. My v10 has just over 100 grand on it with just oil changes. All my Toyota I have owned died in the mid 200,000 mile range, not saying they are not good but my fords have outlasted them.

And for your money getting shared with other nations, you don't have to spend it in a way that it leaves. If you pick and choose where you do business you can keep most if not all of your money here. Try buying from small business who manufacturer whatever they sell here in the states. Use banks that don't go overseas, pay cash so your interest money doesn't go overseas.

I don't have anything against other countries but this country is what we make it and if we all have the mentality that it doesn't matter or there is nothing we can do than that is when we are giving up or giving in and letting others make our decisions for us and I personally don't think good decisions are being made. I don't know maybe I am old fashioned? Or maybe just dreaming?
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #34616
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
Yep, I gotta agree with Chris on this one. Pay cash for your toys and pay off your credit card each month. Better yet, use a rewards card and get cash back. My credit card company pays me to use their money. How great is that
I use a rewards card for a lot of my purchases and pay it off every month, I have never paid a dime in interest and I get a 2 week vacation every year paid for including travel. Sad that very few use them that way.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #34617
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I personally decided it was a good idea to take out a small loan to buy my motorcycle, because I definitely needed a good way to boost my credit score. I knew without a doubt I would be capable of paying the loan off easily, plus it's helping get me into the habit of being responsible with my money, rather than blowing it all. Plus I needed another mode of transportation rather soon since I knew my Jeep was on a slippery slope...
Quote:
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #34618
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I use a rewards card for a lot of my purchases and pay it off every month, I have never paid a dime in interest and I get a 2 week vacation every year paid for including travel. Sad that very few use them that way.
Exactly!!! A smart business owner can rack up some huge cash by using a rewards card. Even though I work for a company I have business expenses so I use my card for every expense I incur. Add in my purchases for everything else and my cash rewards is in the thousands. I did the math for one of my customers the other day and he could get back almost $40K by using his credit card instead of using an open line of credit.

I wish I could pay my mortgage with my credit card However, I even get a reward back from them for doing direct payment from my checking account. There are deals out there for almost everything if you look. Having a really high credit score helps too.
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #34619
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I personally decided it was a good idea to take out a small loan to buy my motorcycle, because I definitely needed a good way to boost my credit score. I knew without a doubt I would be capable of paying the loan off easily, plus it's helping get me into the habit of being responsible with my money, rather than blowing it all. Plus I needed another mode of transportation rather soon since I knew my Jeep was on a slippery slope...
There's nothing wrong with building credit when you're young. That's how we've all done it. However, there comes a time when you have to be smart with how and where you use your money vs using a banks. I'm a firm believer in using "no interest" loans as long as you have the money in the bank to cover the purchase. As long as that money is paying you interest or it's benefiting you in another way you're ahead of the game.

Where people get in trouble is when they start financing multiple items or running up credit card debt. Also, there's a huge gap between "want" and "need". You have to honest enough with yourself to know the difference. I really want a new KTM 1190 Adventure. However, I need my retirement home in North Carolina to be paid for before I retire. Since the bike will be clapped out way before then you can guess which one takes priority
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #34620
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I am pretty sure I am going to be buying my boss's '74 VW Superbeetle. However, it doesn't run and I need to have it towed. Is there anyone local (or fairly local) to me that has trailer and can transport the bug for me to my Grandma's house? I will be more then happy to pay for your gas, and buy you lunch. It'll probably be about a week or two before I need it towed, so if anyone can help out that would be great!

I finally decided to sell my 8.8. Have a guy that is going to come down from temecula to pick it up/buy it. I figured if I was going to do a swap, I might as well do it right. I will start with a fresh junkyard 8.8 and build a 4 link for it and truss it before it goes under my jeep, and I'll also outboard the rear shocks while I am at it. Might as well do it right the first (er, second) time, right?
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.