San Diego Area - Page 2306 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #34576
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

He is more of the hammer it to fit kind.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #34577
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
All depends where you source your parts, and how creative you are. Seems like you are not one of the bolt on crowd
I have what some might call "redneck ingenuity"...plus I'm cheap lol

Nailed it Chris. Ps: buy my piece of crap truck.

Warm regards,
Jason P.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #34578
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know if I want to take on another project at the moment...........
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #34579
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That sounds familiar lol
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #34580
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Kevin,

here's a pic of my setup. obviously i got the parts at surplus center. i think i got the lines thru Grainger, i dont recall exactly, its been a while

It was as simple as cutting off the bracket for the stabilizer, welding on a 3x4" plate with tabs for the ram, then a piece of channel on the drag link (i couldnt get it to fit on the tie rod with my setup) with some tabs on it. I'm currently running 90deg fittings and shorter lines. that was put on just to get it running, IE trial fitment/run. anyways, its a 3-4 beer project. the hardest part really was the steering box. and it wasnt really hard as it was time consuming. plus i'm horribly color blind and had a helluva time figuring out the different colored ball bearings.

anyways, you get the idea. its pretty basic, and there's a lot of us with welders and a drinking problem..

oh yea, for what its worth, i cant even tell its on there on the freeway. the only time i can tell its there is when i'm parallel parking, because its REALLY easy to turn those 36" swampers compared to stock. lol I'll see i have some pictures of the box somewhere, i'm pretty sure i do.
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #34581
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Kevin,

here's a pic of my setup. obviously i got the parts at surplus center. i think i got the lines thru Grainger, i dont recall exactly, its been a while

It was as simple as cutting off the bracket for the stabilizer, welding on a 3x4" plate with tabs for the ram, then a piece of channel on the drag link (i couldnt get it to fit on the tie rod with my setup) with some tabs on it. I'm currently running 90deg fittings and shorter lines. that was put on just to get it running, IE trial fitment/run. anyways, its a 3-4 beer project. the hardest part really was the steering box. and it wasnt really hard as it was time consuming. plus i'm horribly color blind and had a helluva time figuring out the different colored ball bearings.

anyways, you get the idea. its pretty basic, and there's a lot of us with welders and a drinking problem..

oh yea, for what its worth, i cant even tell its on there on the freeway. the only time i can tell its there is when i'm parallel parking, because its REALLY easy to turn those 36" swampers compared to stock. lol I'll see i have some pictures of the box somewhere, i'm pretty sure i do.
Gonna need your help with this on both of my jeeps.
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #34582
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sure thing chief!
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #34583
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Incase anybody was wondering (why you would be in the first place is beyond me), I am still alive.

Actually, I fired up the ZJ and burned the last 1/8 tank of gas tonight:

Still runs good.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #34584
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, I was hoping to get my hands on your KLR when you didn't show up back home.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #34585
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up a new tow vehicle today. Sorry Premo no project truck for me.

Unread 10-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #34586
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Dammit! I'm sick of looking at this thing. I'll consider a trade for the dodge. Lmk

Seriously though, nice truck dude
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #34587
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Now I have three super duties and a dodge. You think the Fords will kick it out of the garage?
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #34588
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I keep yo - yo'ing back and forth with this thing. The psc price tag is a serious deterrent. I don't really see paying that much when I'm not a hardcore crawler. Im reading a lot of reviews about the redneck and so far everyone seems pleased with it. I know the internet gets convoluted ocd theoretics and people start with someone making something work that's the size of a marble and before long its justified that you'll need a boulder. I think for the 699.00 for the redneck ram, rebuild my box, port it, and an alleged higher flow pump (probably a tweaked stock pump) it's not a bad price. I'll just need to get a cooler for it and some bracing at the mount end. That save's me 1,000 for something else.... Thats a lot of money.
brokenyoujoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #34589
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Always been a fan of the Cummins. Sad that they are gonna be in the new Nissans
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #34590
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
I keep yo - yo'ing back and forth with this thing. The psc price tag is a serious deterrent. I don't really see paying that much when I'm not a hardcore crawler. Im reading a lot of reviews about the redneck and so far everyone seems pleased with it. I know the internet gets convoluted ocd theoretics and people start with someone making something work that's the size of a marble and before long its justified that you'll need a boulder. I think for the 699.00 for the redneck ram, rebuild my box, port it, and an alleged higher flow pump (probably a tweaked stock pump) it's not a bad price. I'll just need to get a cooler for it and some bracing at the mount end. That save's me 1,000 for something else.... Thats a lot of money.
I have all PSC components in my XJ. except the cooler. that is an F250 power steering cooler, radiator style.

I would not do it any other way. my XJ steers perfectly, the wheel is nice and light, but not twitchy.

and I have 2-3 times the turning power from stock WITHOUT a ram.

I am all setup for a ram, all I need is to go buy one. but its not that high of a priority since the only time I can't steer is when I am bound up, and a ram won't help you there, it will just break ****.

I run dual ARBs and I don't need to turn the front off to steer lock to lock with ease.

all that is to say, you get what you pay for IMHO
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.