San Diego Area - Page 2205 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 07-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #33061
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow . that was like Calculus when I just started learning my fractions.... I need to learn some lingo.Think I'm gonna hit up Ocean beach pier tonight and see what happens. Haven't fished in decades.

Unread 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #33062
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post

I have just been using my SCUBA equip. to get em lately, that way I can be more picky with what I am having for dinner! I have a "JBL Mangnum 44" triple band speargun.

PM me sometime if you wanna come up north to kill fishes! I have a few poles and gear...
I haven't been spear fishing for years. I always loved it.
Hawaiian Sling for free dives. I borrowed a three band from my friend all the time for SCUBA. Forget the brand.
Where are you taking fish from? Are there any good kelp beds left in the Oceanside area?
We learned a trick spearfishing...
Find two or three kelp stocks close together and hide inside them. The fish can't see the bubbles as well and you just wait. Doesn't work that great when there's a lot of surge tho'.
I'muna have to dust off my equipment. It's the time of the season...
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #33063
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint
Wow . that was like Calculus when I just started learning my fractions.... I need to learn some lingo.Think I'm gonna hit up Ocean beach pier tonight and see what happens. Haven't fished in decades.
I've have some pretty good luck off of the Seal Beach Pier. I've seen people catch 70lb rays and a small tiger shark too.

When I go there I get a mackerel from the bait shop and then catch a few more and release unless I need one. I keep them in an bucket with one of those bubblers.

I use a sabiki rig without the tassel things and a small bit of bait on each hook. When the fishing is good its easy to catch a whole rig full of Mackerel. With a fresh fish I cut a fat piece off and throw it out to sit. I use a pyramid weight so the line slips through. I've got a little sting ray and shovel nosed guitar fish with that set up. Nothing to huge though. Sometimes there are bonito and if you go closer to shore you can catch some small rock dwelling fish.

I've never had luck with live bait.
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #33064
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

about the only thing you'll really catch off the OB peir is a good buzz. i still fish there fairly frequently, but its more to get out of the house. you can rent small fishing boats for inexpensive at seaforth and put around the bay

I've caught some decent catches off the shelter island peir. caught a big sting ray there once.
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #33065
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I use to fish a lot off the IB pier. Mainly because it was close to home, the kids loved it there, and we usually had good luck.

Don't be surprised if certain types of people "crowd you" if you are having good results. I usually set-up camp by spreading out my junk and have my kids intentionally get tangled with others if they couldn't get the hint & keep a reasonable distance.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #33066
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Had all four tires on the Jeep today long enough to turn it around. It's now set up to do the 4 link rear. I probably stared at it for an hour and did not take one picture. It looks awesome. Hopefully next Sunday I'll be drooling over it in my driveway.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #33067
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

If anyone is at the gun show tomorrow morning, I'll be at the Oath Keepers booth wearing a vendor pass. Come say hi
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #33068
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
If anyone is at the gun show tomorrow morning, I'll be at the Oath Keepers booth wearing a vendor pass. Come say hi
My eldest son is going. I wish I was. My youngest son and I have an advanced martial arts weapons seminar tomorrow being taught by a Grand Master. Been waiting a long time for this. Should be great.
Sunday I may go to the show if I can sneak out. Will you be there then?
RJC#512
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #33069
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hello all, trying to organize a little offroad trip 27/28th weekend, anyone interested...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...anyon-1548244/
kgb_m3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #33070
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
Had all four tires on the Jeep today long enough to turn it around. It's now set up to do the 4 link rear. I probably stared at it for an hour and did not take one picture. It looks awesome. Hopefully next Sunday I'll be drooling over it in my driveway.
Looked GREAT, Mike. I am glad to have been there to see the look on your drooling face. It was priceless.

BTW: Thanks for the tacos and generosity you always show.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #33071
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Looked GREAT, Mike. I am glad to have been there to see the look on your drooling face. It was priceless.

BTW: Thanks for the tacos and generosity you always show.
Thanks for letting me hang out with you guys today
Had a great time learning from Blaine, Joe and Mike. I agree with Joe, Mike your jeep looks great. There's no part on it that does not look good! Hope to see it in action one of these days.
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #33072
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well OB pier was a bust.. I did get to see a bunch of small fish constantly peck my Mackerel to non-existance... I didnt see a single person catch anything out of perhaps 40 lines or so...
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #33073
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
Well OB pier was a bust.. I did get to see a bunch of small fish constantly peck my Mackerel to non-existance... I didnt see a single person catch anything out of perhaps 40 lines or so...

That sucks. But a bad day of fishing blah blah blah....

It's more fun to shoot them in their own environment. It's not easy by any means tho'. Patience is best, and at the bottom of a kelp bed breathing really dry air for an hour isn't that much fun. Hydrate really well before you dive. It's OK to pee in your wet suit. Number two is another story. lol
But you see that one huge fish and shoot it, it's worth it. Hopefully you don't shoot a giant grouper and he drags you out to sea!
Lobster season is coming up soon too.
RJC#512
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #33074
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My son will be 12yo next summer and he is already bugging me about getting SCUBA certified. He uses my SCUBA equipment in the pool a lot. Knows how to buddy breath, clear his mask, etc... My other two kids got certified when they were 12.
I miss diving and spear fishing. I am going to do that this summer. Get ready for night diving for lobster. I know some great spots where they love the fields of eel grass.
Mmmmm.... fresh lobster.
RJC#512
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #33075
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
Dont worry about that... I already kinda do..... anyways, I got an urge to start doing a little bit of pier fishing. Any one have a recommendation on where and when is best? Anywhere from Imperial to Solano is good with me. Just bought a fishing pole and some lures etc so I'm kinda geeked up.. Maybe an early morning meet and great some weekend doing some pier fishing?
Ya know, one place that is under used is the cement pier under the Coronado bridge. I think it's 8th st. Take Crosby to the end and wind your way around.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.