San Diego Area - Page 2196 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #32926
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Thanks Blaine, brokenujoint & Climbit for the advise I'll go ahead and look for a compressor to activate only the lockers.

Just to clarify, my intention was to get a simple advice on what was the best source to activate a locker with. I never wanted to start an argument threat on what is better a York, ARB compressor or CO2 kit

But again I have only been in the wheeling community for 3 years and I still consider my self a noob. Compared to you guys that have 8+ years wheeling.

Thanks for advice!
It's the internet. Arguing is what we do.

If you want to really go junkyard YJ style, try this.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/caddy_comp/

seriousbusiness2.jpg

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #32927
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcalpac
It's not the years, it's the mileage that counts!
Practice beats theory 99% of the time.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #32928
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Practice beats theory 99% of the time.
Damn straight! Years and miles of desert racing and dirt fixes will attest to that!
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #32929
cr4zyfkr

Did you guys see all the gear I scored over the weekend? I made a separate thread so as not to clutter this one up with a pic bomb
cr4zyfkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #32930
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
You could just do an ARB compressor as mentioned but try to find it cheap. They are EXPENSIVE for what you get.. When I had my ARB put in like 12 yrs ago that compressor (and maybe they are better now) SUCKED A55!! If your gonna go that route just get a Viaar compressor.. Dont really care what anyone says, I love my york set up.
onboard air is a great thing to have. but having your locker system tied together with it is a bad move. what happens when your on board air system blows a line, or the pump overheats? or you get a leak in something that prevents you from getting the pressure necessary to lock an ARB? now your jeep is without lockers.

I've been running the ARB large compressor for ~2 years now. it does 2 things for me, it runs my lockers, and fills my tires at the end of the trip. I honestly would not have paid for the large compressor, but I got one brand new in box from a NAXJA member for less than the price of the small one. there is no risk to my locker system because the only thing the compressor does is run the lockers until I am done wheeling.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #32931
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcalpac View Post
It's not the years, it's the mileage that counts!

Is that what you keep telling her?

I wanna' argue too!!
E-lockers, problem solved. Co2 tank for the tires or a Harbor Freight plug in the cigarette lighter compressor. If it fails, throw it away, buy and new one.
Or, just don't air down.
We need a stirring the pot emoticon.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #32932
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

Whatever story works!
on two wheels anymore!

Unread 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #32933
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Is that what you keep telling her?

I wanna' argue too!!
E-lockers, problem solved. Co2 tank for the tires or a Harbor Freight plug in the cigarette lighter compressor. If it fails, throw it away, buy and new one.
Or, just don't air down.
We need a stirring the pot emoticon.
e-lockers break.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #32934
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
e-lockers break.
Is there any part on a Jeep that doesn't?

Air lines break, wires break, axles break (especially when you jump your Jeep), crap breaks all the time.
A lot of people run e-lockers problem free for miles and miles of trails.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #32935
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

Kinda what I was thinking....hell even a bullet ain't bullet proof!
on two wheels anymore!

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #32936
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is actually a rare debate (for SD forum) where actually no one is "arguing." Its good wholesome opinion. I run a detroit in the rear and an ARB up front. I only use the front when I HAVE to and otherwise try to keep it off. That doesnt defend the theory of broken lines (isnt that what would kill ANY ARB?). I remember the ARB compressor (at the time) was dog crap in way of airing my tires at the end of the day but it worked just fine for the 85-90 psi to keep the locker going. Maybe they have improved. I also had the VERY 1st batch of TeraFlex "adjustable control arm lift (1997)that was an utter failure keeping me from EVER buying Teraflex products again. If I recall, and it was a good 12-13 yrs ago now, I ditched the ARB compressor for the york because I liked the idea of being able to run up to 150psi on the trail continuously. Airing tires, running a cut off wheel, blowing out the jeep, blowing out the garage... etc. My system is so leak free that I can fill my little 2.5gal tank to about 120 psi and use the ARB ALL DAY. Maybe I'll keep a bicycle pump on stand by in case something fails. Which ever way you go Roberto, glad your getting some air.
I guess the readers digest version is
if you want to just run an ARB locker, get a simple electric compressor
if you want something that you can use for more than just that get a huge bottle of CO2 mount it somewhere or get a belt driven set up...
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #32937
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Thanks Blaine, brokenujoint & Climbit for the advise I'll go ahead and look for a compressor to activate only the lockers.

Just to clarify, my intention was to get a simple advice on what was the best source to activate a locker with. I never wanted to start an argument threat on what is better a York, ARB compressor or CO2 kit

But again I have only been in the wheeling community for 3 years and I still consider my self a noob. Compared to you guys that have 8+ years wheeling.

Thanks for advice!
If you do get the ARB, plumb the pressure switch into the tank with a T and it is 1/4" NPT so a very common easy to find part. If you get a street T with a female NPT on the run side, you can screw the pressure switch into one port and then an airline quick disconnect into the other. After that you build a simple adapter that lets you run the tire fill hose from a Co2 bottle to the quick disconnect.

That will give you emergency compressed gas source to pressurize the small ARB compressor tank and let you still run the lockers through the switches.

The reality of it is if you do it that way, because you have it, you will never need it. Or at least that has been my experience.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #32938
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post

I've been running the ARB large compressor for ~2 years now.
I like to pick on the OX fanatics by telling them my ARB compressor has been in continual use on my rig longer than OX has been in business.
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #32939
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
This is actually a rare debate (for SD forum) where actually no one is "arguing." Its good wholesome opinion. I run a detroit in the rear and an ARB up front. I only use the front when I HAVE to and otherwise try to keep it off. That doesnt defend the theory of broken lines (isnt that what would kill ANY ARB?).
ARB locker or compressor?

Quote:
I remember the ARB compressor (at the time) was dog crap in way of airing my tires at the end of the day but it worked just fine for the 85-90 psi to keep the locker going. Maybe they have improved.
They did improve, they made the compressor so small that it no longer requires a relay and no one would ever air up a tire with it. They make larger versions if you want to inflate tires.

Quote:
I also had the VERY 1st batch of TeraFlex "adjustable control arm lift (1997)that was an utter failure keeping me from EVER buying Teraflex products again. If I recall, and it was a good 12-13 yrs ago now, I ditched the ARB compressor for the york because I liked the idea of being able to run up to 150psi on the trail continuously. Airing tires, running a cut off wheel, blowing out the jeep, blowing out the garage... etc. My system is so leak free that I can fill my little 2.5gal tank to about 120 psi and use the ARB ALL DAY.
You'll have to do a demonstration for us one of these days because I've yet to see a York based engine driven system that will run a die grinder with a cut off wheel long or fast enough to do much good.

Quote:
Maybe I'll keep a bicycle pump on stand by in case something fails. Which ever way you go Roberto, glad your getting some air.
I guess the readers digest version is
if you want to just run an ARB locker, get a simple electric compressor
if you want something that you can use for more than just that get a huge bottle of CO2 mount it somewhere or get a belt driven set up...
Northern tool used to sell a stand alone air compressor with a 12v clutch on it. About the time I thought I would get one and investigate it's virtues or lack thereof, they were nowhere to be found.
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #32940
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You'll have to do a demonstration for us one of these days because I've yet to see a York based engine driven system that will run a die grinder with a cut off wheel long or fast enough to do much good.
Precisely why i carry cordless Lion tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.