Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#41,122 ·
#41,124 ·
I thought all XJ 4x4's were HPD30 up front?
My 2000 came with the LP. Makes it a worthy time to upgrade to hp. From what I've read it was more prevalent in the last years of manufacturing.

Thanks to the above post for the lkq inventory, looking like I'll stop in next week. Saw that there are a few that should be hp30 and aren't wrecked body wise. Bumming I worked double last weekend and missed the 40% sale... $165 for an axle isn't the worst anyhow, figured there has to be plenty collecting dust in garages for those that have swapped to a 44.

#41,126 ·
until 2000. they switched to LP with the dual pre-cats just like the TJs got.
Oddly enough my 2000 came with a dual cast exhaust manifold that merged into a single down pipe and Cat. Scrapped it all and went with a 97-99 stainless 6 to 1 style header once the down pipe busted at the hanger.

#41,129 ·
San Diego HELP

Anyone out there in the San Diego areas. I'm new to owning a Jeep, I have a 2013 Wrangler Sahara unlimited. I purchased a new front bumper and looking for someone who does things like changing bumpers to help remove old and install new. I'll pay you. I wish I could do it myself but its not a reality, I'm a woman with long nails lol. THANKS IN ADVANCE

#41,130 ·
Anyone out there in the San Diego areas. I'm new to owning a Jeep, I have a 2013 Wrangler Sahara unlimited. I purchased a new front bumper and looking for someone who does things like changing bumpers to help remove old and install new. I'll pay you. I wish I could do it myself but its not a reality, I'm a woman with long nails lol. THANKS IN ADVANCE
what part of town are you in? normally we all do our own work and from time to time have a repair party at some ones house where we all fix our stuff as a group.

Or if that's not an option, my friend Frank owns a garage in Ocean Beach. Sunset cliffs automotive.

#41,131 ·
what part of town are you in? normally we all do our own work and from time to time have a repair party at some ones house where we all fix our stuff as a group.

Or if that's not an option, my friend Frank owns a garage in Ocean Beach. Sunset cliffs automotive.
I'm in Lemon Grove area. I wish I could do my own work. I will probably need help taking my doors and top off LOL
Anyway, how much does something like that cost? Changing bumpers?

#41,132 ·
I'm in Lemon Grove area. I wish I could do my own work. I will probably need help taking my doors and top off LOL
You're pretty close by. Stop by Jeff's freedom resort in el Cajon this Saturday and we'll get it done. We can teach you how to wrench if you want. PM me or jbolty (Jeff) if you want the address.

#41,133 ·
You're pretty close by. Stop by Jeff's freedom resort in el Cajon this Saturday and we'll get it done. We can teach you how to wrench if you want. PM me or jbolty (Jeff) if you want the address.
Okay. Here's the bumper.

Attachments

#41,139 ·
Hey guys its me again for my annual post, haha..
So Ive been needing to fix my Jeep for a while now and just been to busy or just havent made it a priority. Its time to fix the darn thing.

What is the problem you may ask? Well I started hearing odd noises in the rear diff on the way back from Havasu in the middle of the desert off the 177. It was a ticking that seem to hit with every ring gear rotation. I had no tools and still had over 230 miles to go and had a trailer on the back, oh boy.

So I ended up driving home and kept the speeds low, oddly enough the sound slowly subsided. Got home and pulled the rear diff cover off and what should be gear oil looked like anti-sieze! After cleaning it out I realized that the ring gear bolts were actually backing out and grinding away. 2 bolts were out completely and 3 others had the heads sheared off.
And no I never did any work in the rear diff (D35 w 3.07) except for adding a lunchbox locker. Apparently someone doesn't like loc-tite or torque specs, lol.
Long story longer, does anybody have a stock D35 w3.07 gears they wanna sell? I can just use a stock one and cut and reweld my shock mounts and strike plates on to.
I would swap over to 4.10s but I have an ARB front locker for the 3.07 and wont work due to the carrier size break.
Or I can just use some gears and Ill just set it up which is probably easier since I have coilover mounts and whatnot that need to be cut and rewelded. All for a POS D35!
Anyway hope all is well with everyone!

#41,140 ·
Hey guys its me again for my annual post, haha..
So Ive been needing to fix my Jeep for a while now and just been to busy or just havent made it a priority. Its time to fix the darn thing.

What is the problem you may ask? Well I started hearing odd noises in the rear diff on the way back from Havasu in the middle of the desert off the 177. It was a ticking that seem to hit with every ring gear rotation. I had no tools and still had over 230 miles to go and had a trailer on the back, oh boy.

So I ended up driving home and kept the speeds low, oddly enough the sound slowly subsided. Got home and pulled the rear diff cover off and what should be gear oil looked like anti-sieze! After cleaning it out I realized that the ring gear bolts were actually backing out and grinding away. 2 bolts were out completely and 3 others had the heads sheared off.
And no I never did any work in the rear diff (D35 w 3.07) except for adding a lunchbox locker. Apparently someone doesn't like loc-tite or torque specs, lol.
Long story longer, does anybody have a stock D35 w3.07 gears they wanna sell? I can just use a stock one and cut and reweld my shock mounts and strike plates on to.
I would swap over to 4.10s but I have an ARB front locker for the 3.07 and wont work due to the carrier size break.
Or I can just use some gears and Ill just set it up which is probably easier since I have coilover mounts and whatnot that need to be cut and rewelded. All for a POS D35!
Anyway hope all is well with everyone!
Don't know of any. Wranglers never make it to the junkyard and I don't know that XJs ever came with that ratio. You best bet is an explorer 8.8, which does come in 3.08 which is close enough. The bracket set for a TJ install runs about $125.