Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#41,102 ·
Sure is quiet around here lately. The whole Wheeling Neighborhood has slowed....

With the weather being on the cold side, I let the cement cure a bit longer before driving on it. The truck fits nicely and was easy to maneuver it back towards the far end.

I pulled the camper off and the bass boat will go in front of it out of the way.

#41,104 ·
Meh, Facebook is where all of the trolls are.

Including me... :peaking:

I've actually been doing a lot of Jeep stuff lately. Fuel pump in the ZJ was long overdue for replacement, got new key fobs programmed up, new speakers and tweeters, new LED's... Next up on the block is to lift this beotch with a little help from Kolak.

Went out and played a bunch in Yuma the Christmas weekend, had a lot of fun limping home since my exhaust came loose before the CAT. Kept getting a lean code which was tripping the computer into limp mode. Eventually decided to jump off the 8W and get onto old highway 80 and cruise the whole way through the backroads. My girlfriend had never really been that way anyways, so we made a little adventure out of it and stopped at the White Star fire station. My dad worked there back in the early 90's and put his initials into the concrete outside of the engine house. If anybody ever stops by there, look for P. Curtis engraved into the concrete.

Attachments

#41,105 ·
Wouldn't you know it, the reoccurring theme with this thing is 2 steps forward, one step back...

Brand new fuel pump sending unit is malfunctioning. And I've developed a new coolant leak.

But I did take it flexing in Yuma again. Ran like a top the whole time which I guess is the real important part. Next time I take it out I hope to have it a few inches higher..

Attachments

#41,107 ·
Rain, snow, freeze, rain, rain some more, one sunny day, more snow, more freeze.

I'm ready for spring to get here & go fishin/wheelin/campin! :)

Well, after taking my truck & new camper to PA, OH, MI, IA, IL, MO, TN, KY, WV, VA and back to Southern Maryland, I'm convinced it needs a good rear sway bar. :)

This little jewel came in on Friday while I was at work - so I installed it that afternoon. Easy stuff.

I took it for a test drive & it seems I can feel bumps a bit more, but very tolerable. Can't wait to test it with the camper installed to see the improvement. I already have rear Air Lift airbags.

It's not an AntiRock, but it should do. :D It's the Hellwig "Big Wig" 1 5/16" (1.31) heat treated 4140.

Now, if I could just find one of those evasive Banks AAM 11.8" rear diff covers. :laugh:

#41,112 ·
Those look pretty...…….toast. :laugh:
I think FUBAR is the correct internet term. It drives MUCH better with the new parts in. Hell, it drives better with 3.5" of lift than it did when I first bought it years ago with no lift.

Attachments

#41,114 ·
Rain, snow, freeze, rain, rain some more, one sunny day, more snow, more freeze.

I'm ready for spring to get here & go fishin/wheelin/campin! :)

Well, after taking my truck & new camper to PA, OH, MI, IA, IL, MO, TN, KY, WV, VA and back to Southern Maryland, I'm convinced it needs a good rear sway bar. :)

This little jewel came in on Friday while I was at work - so I installed it that afternoon. Easy stuff.

I took it for a test drive & it seems I can feel bumps a bit more, but very tolerable. Can't wait to test it with the camper installed to see the improvement. I already have rear Air Lift airbags.

It's not an AntiRock, but it should do. :D It's the Hellwig "Big Wig" 1 5/16" (1.31) heat treated 4140.

Now, if I could just find one of those evasive Banks AAM 11.8" rear diff covers. :laugh:
Broke the bar that runs side to side of my front Antirock system last year. Havent replaced it yet.
How you doing Joe?
Vern Britain

#41,115 ·
Broke the bar that runs side to side of my front Antirock system last year. Havent replaced it yet.
How you doing Joe?
Vern Britain
Holy Swaybars Batman! :eek: :D

REALLY good to hear from you Vern.

Just a few days ago I was thinking of you and wondering WTF you've been up to. Suppose I could have just picked up the phone & tried calling you.

I just spent 10 days in SoCal for work. Shot a couple "items". I got back yesterday/Sunday.

I head to SoCal again next week for ~4 days for work.

BTW: I tried calling the number I have for you. Not sure if it's still good. It's a 619 number. You *may* see a missed call from me. I still have the same number even though I'm in Maryland. Gimme a call sometime my friend.

Regards,
Joe

#41,116 ·
Holy Swaybars Batman! :eek: :D

REALLY good to hear from you Vern.

Just a few days ago I was thinking of you and wondering WTF you've been up to. Suppose I could have just picked up the phone & tried calling you.

I just spent 10 days in SoCal for work. Shot a couple "items". I got back yesterday/Sunday.

I head to SoCal again next week for ~4 days for work.

BTW: I tried calling the number I have for you. Not sure if it's still good. It's a 619 number. You *may* see a missed call from me. I still have the same number even though I'm in Maryland. Gimme a call sometime my friend.

Regards,
Joe
Still have the same number but don't pick up unless I recognize who it is. Retired about 5 years ago but doing consulting. Just got back from Georgetown Tx from a 6 week stay. Doing a little wheeling but not as much as I used to. When I do wheel it ends up bad. But what the heck that's what its about. Good to see you up and about.

#41,117 ·
Still have the same number but don't pick up unless I recognize who it is. Retired about 5 years ago but doing consulting. Just got back from Georgetown Tx from a 6 week stay. Doing a little wheeling but not as much as I used to. When I do wheel it ends up bad. But what the heck that's what its about. Good to see you up and about.
Retired.....what's that? :laugh: Good to know you're still hitting the trails. Seriously, although I "retired" almost 15 years ago, I'm having way too much fun at work, plus the pay, vacation time, holidays etc is very generous.

I've picked up a few more toys over the last few years. So my fun is spread out between them.

I drove thru El Centro not long ago on my way to Tucson, AZ. I wondered if you were still in the Imperial Valley area.

#41,118 ·
Looking like the tube is bent a good bit on my '00 XJ. last desert trip pushed it a good bit harder and faster than I really should have.

Anyone on the SD forums have a front D30 around they're looking to make a few bucks off? Will hit the yard if nothing else.
Not looking to go waggy D44 or full one ton, just get it back on the road and go a little mellower on the skinny pedal...

#41,119 ·
Looking like the tube is bent a good bit on my '00 XJ. last desert trip pushed it a good bit harder and faster than I really should have.

Anyone on the SD forums have a front D30 around they're looking to make a few bucks off? Will hit the yard if nothing else.
Not looking to go waggy D44 or full one ton, just get it back on the road and go a little mellower on the skinny pedal...
there is an older XJ with an HP30 at pick-your-part west. saw it sunday