Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#40,986 ·
Dang - I won't be in SoCal again until Jan 16th.
What kind of trailer do you have?
An off road camper type, one that will hauls a jeep or just a utility trailer?

Can I borrow it?

We met once in the parking lot at Ronson Court in Clairmont Mesa once so that makes us friends. ;). I was checking out the YJ you had back before some one else decided they liked it better than you. Or am I mistaken and have you confused with another Moderator?

Sorry! I didn't mean to kick you in the shin on 2 unhappy subjects.
First one I was just kidding.

Been awhile since I dropped in here.

Wanted to say hi to everyone who knows me and to those who don't.

I want to get out more in the dirt.
I originally got my 1st jeep to explore with my wife.
After I put lockers in it, she's afraid to go out with me. :)
That's my excuse.
I just put some new 33's on RED
Looks nice parked out in front of the house.
Gonna take the mall cruiser out to blow off the spider webs.

maybe I'll see some of you guys at TDS.

#40,990 ·
So last week at Superstition I collapsed a lifter in my 6 cyl engine that has about 3,000 miles on the engine shop rebuild. That 3k miles has been about 3 yrs ago now so the warranty is null. So I pulled the head to get to it and it is seized in the bore. Seized on the down stroke of its travel. That means that the cam was riding on the lifter then mile or so that I had to drive it off the trail and into camp. I can't get it out for anything. Haven't tried the slide-hammer technique yet but I'm not going to. I don't want to mess up the bore anymore than it may be. I have to pull the cam out for two reasons. One to see if it's f'd. And two, to drop out the lifter and catch it with a magnet. I'm pretty sure they are both toast. I'm praying I don't have to get it to a machine shop. I'm gonna get a slightly more aggressive aftermarket cam kit and throw it all together and cross my toes that it's all good. If it fails again I'm done with the 4.0. Thinking Hemi.
For those of you who haven't messed with a cam removal, its fun.... Pure good times.

Attachments

#40,998 ·
Went out Friday night and left around noon today. Don't have any working Jeeps so the SxS's go out instead. They're a little more fun, especially the Rhino since it can get balls deep into tight crevices.

Attachments

#40,999 ·
Went out Friday night and left around noon today. Don't have any working Jeeps so the SxS's go out instead. They're a little more fun, especially the Rhino since it can get balls deep into tight crevices.
Nice! How was last night? Bummed I had to leave yesterday around 2, but couldn't get Sunday off work...

Either way may have seen you around truck haven, sounds fun in an SxS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk