San Diego Area - Page 2007 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #30091
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So who's all going to Joe's Jeep cave today? I get off work at 5ish, if anyone is still around then I might swing by for a bit...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #30092
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I want to do a custom tummy tuck. One that uses a crossmember to support the tranny & allows the Atlas to sit nice & high. I have a 1" BL & 1" MML right now which should help a little. I don't mind beating/cutting on the tub so that the tcase doesn't bang against the tub when the frame flexes or when engine torque occurs. It doesn't have to be 100% flat, but as close as possible would be sweet. This needs to be done prior to 4link work to minimize suspension rework.

The fuel tank needs to be pulled and the Genright 23 gallon tub style fuel cell be mounted and all the lines ran.

The 8.8 needs to be pulled & a RuffStuff truss added, along with cutting off the current SOA traction bar bracketry. In conjunction with that - I want to stretch the rear wheelbase ~10" and have the truss welded accordingly. This needs to be done to account for going with a rear coilover upper triangulated 4link.

Cut the old rear leaf spring stuff off & prep the frame for the RuffStuff 4link axle install brackets.

Once the wheelbase is set & the links are made, get bumpstops installed and limit straps. The bumpstops may need to be frenched into the frame.

More than likely, install a rear antirock.

Going coilover with a narrow 8.8 is going to present some challenges of its own. Its a bit wider than a normal Explorer style 8.8 due to having a prototype Super 88 kit installed courtesy of Blaine. I have added 2" wheel spacer adapters as well so that the 8.8 has a 8x6.5 WBP to match the 60 front. These adapters may help a little to keep the tires out of the coils and further away from the towers.

At some point - add hydro assist.

That's the short list.

Today, I'm doing some front end bracketry welding and some touch-up stuff on the front axle and steering.
That's all piece of cake. Figure out your wheel base and what length arms you want and that will pretty much decide where the crossmembers end up.
Play with 4 link calculator and built it. Not anywhere near as hard as it looks
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #30093
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
That's all piece of cake. Figure out your wheel base and what length arms you want and that will pretty much decide where the crossmembers end up.
Play with 4 link calculator and built it. Not anywhere near as hard as it looks
Funny thing is none of it's really hard but time sure does slip away. I started out today to replace the battery in my jeep and in the camper. Costsco on Morenoa didn't have them, but Mission Valley did; went there and they didn't have either. Went to Kragen and they had both batteries but the terminals on the camper one were on the opposite side; easy. Or not, the cable was about 3 inches too short. Go get a new cable, crawl under and swap it, then the battery then the jeep battery. It was almost dark by the time I got done.

Seems like every project goes that way. Or even worse, half way through think of a better way to do something or realize another job has to be done first.

I'm glad this is a hobby. If it was a job I would demand a raise or quit.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #30094
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

60% google research and calls and 5% driving at best, and 35% online purchasing. I'm over driving blindly and aimlessly just so some schmoo can lead me to some other pointless destination. Jeff you should of seen me trying to pull 16 RE torq bolts that hold on my LA skid. I must of went to literally 20 stores and broke 6 sockets until I figured the solution. And when you do all this driving is it me or is there some Bruce Almightly looking down at you giving you EVERY red light?
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #30095
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm lucky, I have 2 part stores within a mile of my house. And I work at Sears. Though I do know how such a simple project could have so many problems. Been there too many times.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #30096
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks go out to Taylor, Mike & Andy for stopping by and lending there hands.

We did some trimming of the front two body mounts, and made some weld-on reinforcement brackets for the outboard spring hangers. Then took the steering links & hysteer arms off, cleaned them up, drilled the arms and knuckles, painted them & re-installed everything. I did some touch up painting as well to the spring plates and mounts.

All in all a productive fun day. Thanks again guys.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #30097
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
That's all piece of cake. Figure out your wheel base and what length arms you want and that will pretty much decide where the crossmembers end up. Play with 4 link calculator and built it. Not anywhere near as hard as it looks
Perhaps I need to give it a try & when I screw something up, or run into something I can't figure out, cry/beg for help.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #30098
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Jeez all I did was break your drill bit and drink your beer.

How did it turn out? I know one of you had to take some pictures.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #30099
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I took nothing!
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #30100
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Perhaps I need to give it a try & when I screw something up, or run into something I can't figure out, cry/beg for help.
Isn't that what friends are for
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #30101
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

with out pictures, it's just a myth
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #30102
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
60% google research and calls and 5% driving at best, and 35% online purchasing. I'm over driving blindly and aimlessly just so some schmoo can lead me to some other pointless destination. Jeff you should of seen me trying to pull 16 RE torq bolts that hold on my LA skid. I must of went to literally 20 stores and broke 6 sockets until I figured the solution. And when you do all this driving is it me or is there some Bruce Almightly looking down at you giving you EVERY red light?
I know, it's crazy.

You could start a complete frame off rebuilt, have every part on hand, all the tools, help and plenty of beer then the morning you begin the most simple thing runs the whole thing off the rails. Forgot the charge the battery for the sawzall, the extension cord is pinched under the jack stand, the shop light falls and breaks, etc. Then it's a mad scramble that kills the first 3 hours of the day.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #30103
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

I know, it's crazy.

You could start a complete frame off rebuilt, have every part on hand, all the tools, help and plenty of beer then the morning you begin the most simple thing runs the whole thing off the rails. Forgot the charge the battery for the sawzall, the extension cord is pinched under the jack stand, the shop light falls and breaks, etc. Then it's a mad scramble that kills the first 3 hours of the day.
I completely agree. I planned and prepared for the ttb swap for weeks and I still found myself every Saturday morning running around. It's always the little details that get you.

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #30104
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jeff for the help yesterday. finally got my winch installed. it only took like half a damn year LOL i have a Warn hawse fairlead brand new in teh box if anyone is interested. $40 bucks. please save me the drive to 4WP

next project is finish cutting/welding bumper stub ends and put LEDs back on. oh yea, and my beadlocks, and................ *sigh* it never ends.

Unread 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #30105
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What happened to me was I had to replace my clutch/flywheel due to a throwout bearing. So I order it online and wait a few days then while I'm waiting for it I go and start to pull everything apart. Plan the day for it. Dress crappy, gloves, glasses, radio, drink,etc. Get on my back, look at a crossmember bolt.. Hmmm T50 torx. Get up Find a T45, T55.. no T50. Of course. So I go buy one. Come back, turn out one of the RE skid bolts, (hard), then another, snap!!!! broke a 50torx socket.. #$#%$#@.. Go to the store buy another. Napa, nope, Autozone ? nope.. WTF! Oreilleys. yes... two please. try again. bolt wont budge.. Go to another bolt. comes off. another comes off. another.. STRIP. $$#@! This goes on for five T50 sockets at 8.00 a pop. After 3 wks of part time hatred I'm drilling these #%$$'s out then decide to weld bolts to them & turn them out. Dont have a welder. Price around. 100.00.. NO THANKS. Get on here and find a helping hand. Thanks WJDesertRacer. Also had to buy 50.00 worth of new bolts from RE (16 bolts) which took 2 wks to get. REALLY?!
All this took about 2 1/2 wks of being on my back drilling bolts out and breaking sockets and one breaker bar and cussing and throwing stuff..
When I finally got the bolt situation under control total price just to get these a-holes out was 110.00. (on a side note, I had a shop rebuilt my trans case about 7 yrs ago and they torqed the SNOT out of the bolts and didnt use antiseize . Thanks guys)
Drove the jeep back home. In 2.5 hrs I had the transmission out. Install? smooth except for forgetting to order up new flywheel bolts and that took 2 days. Had to order RoyalPurple online because no one sources them otherwise.
Clutch job from hell I tell ya's . From Hell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.