San Diego Area - Page 2003 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #30031
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Thanks brokenujoint!

I have spent some time on google looking at all the other builds. I was lucky enough to have the bracket for the York. My wife added power steering but in the early 90s. When they did that, they added the bracket and the serpentine belt. So I'll have to change out the pulley and clutch. I plan on having the option for power tools so I'll need a tank. I heard you can get one cheep at Harbor Freight.

I plan on doing the oil mod and maybe the dipstick add.

If you don't mind, could you send me a picture of your copper heat sink?

Thanks

Chappy

carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #30032
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll snap a pic or two tomorrow during daylight.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #30033
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
Thank you sir!

I'll PM you my contact info if you want to send it there

Chappy
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #30034
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dont mind posting it up. No biggie.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #30035
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

brokenujoint - you need to change your profile to include the Kevlars.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #30036
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Long time no post, been really saving to upgrade the jeep and that time has finally come!
Installing my HP 30 (finally!) Took a few hours to remove the LP30 and install the new one (all not finished yet but should be almost done by tomorrow. Air locker, 4.56, sand blasted, painted, JJ conversion, Sway bar flip (MrBlaine's), new ball joints and bearings, along with the 17" Vanco Brake kit. BTW, Cycling the suspension sucks by yourself!

Also got some Savvy Under Armor installed! Just have to set my rear pinion angle, and install PSC steering box and then ready for JV! and/or anywhere I can get ride of this rattle!

Just a quick pic of no front axle

StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #30037
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Dont mind posting it up. No biggie.
ok, thanks
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #30038
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
Long time no post, been really saving to upgrade the jeep and that time has finally come!
Installing my HP 30 (finally!) Took a few hours to remove the LP30 and install the new one (all not finished yet but should be almost done by tomorrow. Air locker, 4.56, sand blasted, painted, JJ conversion, Sway bar flip (MrBlaine's), new ball joints and bearings, along with the 17" Vanco Brake kit. BTW, Cycling the suspension sucks by yourself!

Also got some Savvy Under Armor installed! Just have to set my rear pinion angle, and install PSC steering box and then ready for JV! and/or anywhere I can get ride of this rattle!

Just a quick pic of no front axle

following your post's closely as I'll be right behind you with my own HP soon.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #30039
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
and then ready for JV!
Is JV ready for you?

Sound like some excellent stuff is going on there. Get 'er done.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #30040
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
brokenujoint - you need to change your profile to include the Kevlars.
Hope your happy now Joe
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #30041
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yep... Read several york OBA builds from google. it's a great start. Onboardair.com is a good place for the bracket and the clutch/pulley on the york and the alternator. They have EVERYTHING you'd want but can get pricey. Figure out what you need and then shop around online or go to Home Depot. Many of the same fittings are out there. Kilby just is more convienent. And that word comes with an increase in $. Looking at the pic you'll most likely just an alternator pulley from onboardair.. The pulley on your york looks pretty beat up though. Either clean it up enough that it wont eat up a belt or source another from the yard. The york and the tank are the cheap parts of the system yet the heart of it. All the money comes in from the fittings, bracket, check valves. etc. Kilby has a good 2.5 gal tank but you'll only get about 5 seconds before your tank is depleted and your york kicks in again. IMO if your not running an arb or plan to use air tools, and only plan to use it for tire filling, dont bother with a tank.
Dont bother with a rebuild kit. They are cheap enough that if it dies on you in the future, so what, get another. If you have an air tight bumper, you can tap that and use it as a tank as well. Also the york gets hot with continuous use. In only a few minutes its to hot to touch. I ran 3/8 copper tubing off the york and wrapped it several times to act as a heat sink. Works well...
As mentioned do a google image search on york oba diagrams. Some people have put up some good schematics of how it should be done. It's what I followed 10 yrs ago and the same set up is working great for me.
There is also a tap and plug mod that keeps oil from blowing into your lines. Google that as well. Easy mod.
You can get the compressor clutch pretty cheap if you shop it. It's a very interchangable part that goes under numerous part numbers for cars, heavy trucks and industrial applications.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/York-Freight...sories&vxp=mtr

Pressure switches and fittings and other parts are pretty cheap here.

http://www.airbagit.com/Default.asp

I had a little trouble finding fittings that would directly thread on to the compressor in and output. But, I eventually found another compressor in the junkyard that had the same type fittings but with a hose barb connector. Kilby sells those for big $$.

York service manual

http://www.tccimfg.com/2CylinderServiceManual.pdf

The remove the clutch you just need to remove the bolt, then thread a 5/8 bolt into the pully. It will force the clutch right off slick.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #30042
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnell View Post
Thanks brokenujoint!

I have spent some time on google looking at all the other builds. I was lucky enough to have the bracket for the York. My wife added power steering but in the early 90s. When they did that, they added the bracket and the serpentine belt. So I'll have to change out the pulley and clutch. I plan on having the option for power tools so I'll need a tank. I heard you can get one cheep at Harbor Freight.

I plan on doing the oil mod and maybe the dipstick add.

If you don't mind, could you send me a picture of your copper heat sink?

Thanks

Chappy
Quote:
I took some last saturday
imgp0230.jpg   imgp0232.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #30043
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

HEY! Thats copyright infringement! Dont you see the C with the circle on the york fitting? You photoshopped my jeep!
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #30044
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta give props to Discount tire at both Mission Gorge Santee and Mission Gorge Clairmont. Had a mediocre sidewall cut on a brand new KM2 (purchased 5 against my better judgement). It was about 2/3 of the way to hitting cord or closer. Took it in and they squabled about it not being deep enough. I said, " so should I just wait until it blows out when I'm going 70 down the highway? Then my insurance co will cover it because my jeep will be wasted." They then said ok its cool, we'll cover it. While inside I got to thinking. Why not swap it/try to swap it, for a Kevlar.. I asked.. The guy said Sure, as long as you cover any possible price differences. Fine. 48.00 for a new roadhazard and -2.00 returned for the price difference. Ok cool. Then I got to thinking. I had a 5th tire in the garage never mounted while waiting to get beadlocks. Can you guys swap my 5th for a kevlar? Still have the sticker on it. Never used. Sure... Cool. Two out of 4 traded.. So, how many more Kevlars do you have? Two... cool. I'll buy em. 850.00 out the door for 2 tires. YIKES.. That's ok. Now I got 3 new tires to sell and I've got WAY more peace of mind knowing I'm sporting a MUCH better tire. Went down to the Clairmont store for the installs. They apparently have been getting a lot of MTR's in if your shopping for them. They are usually VERY hard to source, esp in a 17" rim.
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #30045
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post

Joe has done several. Rik is running one, Chris ( Vegas) is running one, possibly others.
Thanks, I'll half to go bug my neighbor now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.