San Diego Area - Page 2002 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #30016
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yea, probably right. they make them in 35's too

Unread 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #30017
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead
Glad I didn't go out to Truckhaven to camp this weekend. It's colder than a witch's tit in the Klondikes on the shady side of an iceberg out there at night.

Nice cozy fire and some hot chocolate with Baiey's, warm woman, that's the place for me.
I just got back from truckhaven and it was not even bad. It was actually colder here at home (temecula valley area) than at the desert haha. I went wheeling around ten one night wore one nice jacket and pants and I was golden. then we made a bonfire so big the women started taking clothes off!

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #30018
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
the women started taking clothes off!
pics or it never happened

Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #30019
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
those are goodyear kevlars, yea? Is that your rig? any reviews if so? i'm looking at a new set of 35's for mostly off highway use. i have 35" BFG KM1's on steelies with tons of tread left for daily driving but looking for a new set for the Stauns for off road use. The tires that are on there are chunked out pretty badly and won't balance for crap. 12-16oz of weights/wheel. LOL i'm seeing mixed reviews on tire racks site...

also, what size are those? are those H2 wheels or is it just me?
40" sticky MTR/s, MTR's offroad are better in my book than the KM2's but do not balance worth a damn. KM2 is an ok offroad tire, but takes very little balance weight for street driving unlike the MTR's
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #30020
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
WAY OFF. I did LW 2wks ago and other than ONE obstacle near the water tower it was easy.PR was a LOT of fun. Many more lines to play with, there's the rock garden as well. Not sure if you went before or after the rains but there were quite a few ruts today. Short but satisfying.

And yes it was chilly. We got out by 130 or so. Just in time before the rain.
Well a lot of LW is easy.... I do not know LW well enough to tell you where it gets difficult but RWR600 has taken me there with 4x4corps. There is at least two or three dirt trails in LW that I literally dragged my entire jeep across, constantly rubbing on dirt and rock. Of course, the rains could have changed it; I have not been to LW in a while.

PR is very fun, I love it and its only 12 minutes away, but I don't think there is any real challenge in it. Sure there are some fun spots that you can challenge yourself with, especially if you short cut the turn and go straight up about 250 yards in
<-- this btw is the only spot other than on the rock garden that you would want a spotter for. The best part of PR is the great view at the top; it’s a perfect spot to have lunch. You can boulder climb the hill just west of the rock and the rock garden has some good cliffs and rocks that it’s fun to play on even if you have a well-built jeep.

With a stock jeep, I can accomplish every part of PR with little to no problems. The only exception to this is going past PR and going to the Rock Garden that I think is quite fun, especially if it has just rained and the ground is still wet. I might be a better driver but I doubt it, so it makes me come to the conclusion that even though I enjoy going and having a good time at PR, I think it’s one of the easiest trails in San Diego that I know of, especially for a built rig.

RWR600 I know you and son do LW quite often, how do you compare PR to LW?
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #30021
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Id say that PR looks harder than it is and as long as you choose your lines well its not all that bad. At LW although there is alot of easy old fire road to navigate to find the obstacles, the obstacles can be quite challenging. The ground at LW has a loose gravel/sand mix that makes it rather slippery when trying to climb the rocks thus making it harder than it normally would be. If PR was the same distance from me as LW I would choose to go there because there is more of a consistant trail. LW is fun if you know where your going and dont mind the fire road at times.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #30022
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think PR has the potential to be a much better trail than LW. The view and atmosphere alone is wonderful. Makes you feel like your in Colorado. The material of the dirt is superior. Maybe it was the timing when I went to each but I personally enjoyed PR more. Not sure when the last time you were there but it's pretty rutted out right now from the rains.
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #30023
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesjeeper View Post
Yea, It started to sprinkle as I got off my exit on the 125.
I had an amazing time, with great jeeps and even better people!! Thanks for all the help and waiting for me when I fell behind. Always a good wheeling day when you can drive in and then cruise the way home safely.
Here are my pictures, they are out of order - stupid photobucket lol - and some are phone pics and some are SLR's.
If anyone has a problem with this many pics on this thread, by all means, let me know and I can create another thread or just delete them and keep the link. It's just sometimes people don't even bring themselves to click on a link, they like to see the pics right then and there lol
There are a few more pics, but kinda repeats though; here is the link to the album if you want the high def version of them.
http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...20Trail%20Ride
Ya know. I like that trail alot and run it often, but some of those shots are unfamiliar to me. Guess I have to try the rock garden now that I have the gear for it. Looks like y'all had a blast.
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #30024
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
40" sticky MTR/s, MTR's offroad are better in my book than the KM2's but do not balance worth a damn. KM2 is an ok offroad tire, but takes very little balance weight for street driving unlike the MTR's

awesome. i'm not really too horribly concerned with the balancing as these wouldnt be mounted on daily driving wheels. i've heard good things about them off road but have heard the same about the balancing issues. thanks for the feedback...
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #30025
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

came up on some 35x12.50x17 Kevlars today. Selling 3 KM2's of same size with only 100 miles on the tires for 330 each. They retail for 370 ea plus tax and road hazard is another 75 per tire. =445 each. Thats 100 off ea tire. I'll transfer roadhazard from discount tire to you as well. Cant beat that! This is also in the for sale section. pm if interested.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #30026
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
I think PR has the potential to be a much better trail than LW. The view and atmosphere alone is wonderful. Makes you feel like your in Colorado. The material of the dirt is superior. Maybe it was the timing when I went to each but I personally enjoyed PR more. Not sure when the last time you were there but it's pretty rutted out right now from the rains.
I don't disagree at all with that statement. All I was trying to convey to the peeps who had not been to PR was that it does not require anything more then a stock jeep to accomplish it, especially if its dry out. Its one of the few trails that I don't make my wife and kid get out and walk.
When I first started driving the trails here a year ago, PR was made out to be a much more difficult trail, and while at times, the very beginning can be intimidating (for me it was the first time)and about 3/4 of the way through can be rough at times with the rain, its overall a very tame trail when compared to others. Either way I am glad you guys enjoyed it.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #30027
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Just got back from the OC picking up my used York compressor. This will be my new winter project. Any advice / help is greatly welcome!!!

Chappy
york.jpg  
carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #30028
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yep... Read several york OBA builds from google. it's a great start. Onboardair.com is a good place for the bracket and the clutch/pulley on the york and the alternator. They have EVERYTHING you'd want but can get pricey. Figure out what you need and then shop around online or go to Home Depot. Many of the same fittings are out there. Kilby just is more convienent. And that word comes with an increase in $. Looking at the pic you'll most likely just an alternator pulley from onboardair.. The pulley on your york looks pretty beat up though. Either clean it up enough that it wont eat up a belt or source another from the yard. The york and the tank are the cheap parts of the system yet the heart of it. All the money comes in from the fittings, bracket, check valves. etc. Kilby has a good 2.5 gal tank but you'll only get about 5 seconds before your tank is depleted and your york kicks in again. IMO if your not running an arb or plan to use air tools, and only plan to use it for tire filling, dont bother with a tank.
Dont bother with a rebuild kit. They are cheap enough that if it dies on you in the future, so what, get another. If you have an air tight bumper, you can tap that and use it as a tank as well. Also the york gets hot with continuous use. In only a few minutes its to hot to touch. I ran 3/8 copper tubing off the york and wrapped it several times to act as a heat sink. Works well...
As mentioned do a google image search on york oba diagrams. Some people have put up some good schematics of how it should be done. It's what I followed 10 yrs ago and the same set up is working great for me.
There is also a tap and plug mod that keeps oil from blowing into your lines. Google that as well. Easy mod.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #30029
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone on here cut down a front driveshaft to use in the rear of a jeep?
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #30030
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12
Anyone on here cut down a front driveshaft to use in the rear of a jeep?
Joe has done several. Rik is running one, Chris ( Vegas) is running one, possibly others.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.