San Diego Area - Page 1985 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #29761
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Using springs to provide damping is poor form. You need to get with Wayne at Alltech Motorsports and buy some tune time.
The springs were waaay to light for having a hardtop and rear seats and a cage. I put some 350# springs and have yet to try it, but it was more of a spring issue than the dampening, I have a shim set so I can play around with the comp. dampening. The front is pretty close, just needs a bit more dampening.

But I thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
pics or it never happened.
Yeah I have been threatening to take pics for about forever or so...OK, OK, OK, I will!!

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #29762
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
Jason, Staying with the 31s for now. 4.56 gears and a 4 mouse motor go well with 31s. Drove it home from, the shop lst night and back this morning. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Now, when I step on the gas, it doesn't have to THINK about it. It just takes off. I get to use 5th gear now, as well.
I bet dude!
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #29763
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
How can the springs be to light if the Jeep sits higher then it was.
did you set up travel and droop at ride height before you even installed the springs? Once that's figured out you get the springs you want to get your ride height, then you start messing with the valving of the shocks.
King is a good choice since they let you swap springs when you first set the ride height. If you are bottoming out, you can try to adjust the dual rate sliders and from there you will have to delve into the shim stack in the coilovers.

Mr Wayne has a good name for setting this whole shebang up correctly
The only way I could get the height was by a sh!toad of spring preload. Not the proper way to get the height. I would love to be able to pay someone for help, but I have more time than money and the tools and ability (with less experience) so I will just play around with it till its right.

I made the shock mounts without the springs to figure out the proper travel, clearance, droop, and also to get the hydraulic bumps in the right place as well etc...I had the collars all the way down to get the primary spring to do work as soon as possible, so thats maxxed out already, telling me that my light spring is a bit light as well, so I am probably going to swap a stiffer spring from the front and put it in back while going up 50# on the upper spring in the front.

I already had Fox's that I pulled from my buggy before I sold it, and I tried to use a couple of the springs from it to save some money and I knew they were really on the lighter side before I installed them, I only did it to see how close I was after driving it the way I do.

Now at least I know where I need to be as far as spring rates go (or at least pretty darn close).

I have nitrogen, oil and shims, however I need to figure out where I can find some used springs, maybe I should check Pirate or Race Desert, I wonder if there is a spring exchange somewhere?? I know I cant be the only one with a bunch of extra springs he isnt using, and needs different ones. Or I may have to buck up and buy some new ones..

I have yet to try the new rear springs, I may have to go out to LW and give it a try and see how it feels before I know what needs to be done next.

But it waaay better than it has ever been for sure, work in progress as always.
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #29764
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So I picked up a new pair of binoculars yesterday. Got the redfield rebel 10x42mm. Pretty stoked to try them out in the desert. havent had a semi-decent set in forever. Merry Christmas to me i guess lol

http://redfield.com/binoculars/

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #29765
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thinking about a trip to Corral Canyon this weekend

Any interest and I'll make a thread about it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #29766
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty

I might be able to do saturday... I'll let you know.
Climbit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #29767
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit

I might be able to do saturday... I'll let you know.
I'm in for Saturday.
Climbit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #29768
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

Sunday is the ribbon-cutting/Grand Opening of the new trail off Gunslinger. TDS has invited everyone to come have food, and run the trail starting at 10 AM. Meet in the campground.
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #29769
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
I'm in for Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
Sunday is the ribbon-cutting/Grand Opening of the new trail off Gunslinger. TDS has invited everyone to come have food, and run the trail starting at 10 AM. Meet in the campground.
Hmmm. Might be fun, but on the other hand crowded.

I'm leaning toward saturday. I'll confirm tonight if I can make it one day or the other.

Unread 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #29770
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That new trail would be a disaster with a bunch of people running it especially because I bet a bunch of underbuilt guys are going to need to be dragged through it.
calsouthjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #29771
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsouthjeep View Post
That new trail would be a disaster with a bunch of people running it especially because I bet a bunch of underbuilt guys are going to need to be dragged through it.
I would like to check it out for sure but I know the last new trail that opened had a bunch of manzanita stumps sticking up and there were flat tires about every 50 feet for the first year.
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #29772
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Rik!! i moved and dont have room in my garage for that massive california dreamin flourescent bar sign anymore...want that back? LOL Jeff, maybe for above the kegerator?
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #29773
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Hey Rik!! i moved and dont have room in my garage for that massive california dreamin flourescent bar sign anymore...want that back? LOL Jeff, maybe for above the kegerator?
I've got a room full of street signs if it needs a home.

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #29774
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ha! i had one of those a while back...that was a fun night lol
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #29775
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Anyone in here know if these pads will work on a TJ? After a quick google it looks like the rotors will work, but couldn't find much on the pads. Pretty sure I bought them for my old TJ back in 2007, not too sure why I still have them

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.