Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#39,062 ·
It will double as a daily driver, road trip vehicle, and weekend camper. Sleeps four comfortably, fully self contained, and can park in a normal parking space.

#39,063 ·
So you're building an RV? lol
Basically, an off road capable totally off the grid could live in it comfortably for an extended period of time get out of dodge fast heavy duty RV rolling on 33x11.50s one ton chassis.

#39,066 ·
So like my van but with 4wd? :) You should have bought a MFDRV and saved yourself some trouble
MFDRVs cant take the beating of off road, they are made cheaply, and they are heavy, designed for pavement driving, and most are designed for luxury.
They have too much fluff and not enough stuff, like a 245 watt solar panel connected to two 314ah batteries, a 10KW peak 5KW continuous inverter, Honda generator, heavy duty cargo rack that carries a six person inflatable and motor, a radar deflecting camo tent big enough to park the BOV in, four perimeter cameras with screen splitter and DVR, 4 zone remote infrared motion detector system with 200' range, secure long gun storage, secure handgun and ammo storage, nice touchscreen bluetooth stereo system with indoor and outdoor speakers, two GPS nav systems and one portable, all interior and exterior LED lighting including perimeter floods and spots, stand up room throughout, bathroom with shower, outdoor shower, 12K lb winch, and much more. An MFDRV doesn't hold a candle to it.
The closest thing to it is a $120K Sportsmobile and this one has much more at less than that by far.
All of that and it can park in a normal parking space. I am on the hunt for an Enduro/dual-sport dirt bike for the back bumper. This thing has been in the planning stages for two years.

#39,067 ·
You got me there. Got to say though that my MFDRV does pretty good whooping around beat up dirt roads here and out in the desert. I gutted it and did a mini BOV conversion myself though....but it only sleeps 2. But it actually has mostall the other stuff listed, radar and aside. Plus a pooper, 12 gal tank w/heater, etc. There's a big rack up top now so you could easily put a tent thing up there if you wanted. Anyways, Its my daily and drives amazing both on and off. Wish it was 4wd some times. One of those sportsmobiles would be really nice, but Christ if they aren't expensive!

I have a winch at Jeff's sitting in the shed I wanted to put on the thing but I couldn't find bumper for it or even any pictures online to see what it would look like to rip off some designs and DIY. Def fun to build though. I enjoyed every hour spent. Do yourself a favor and get some of that henry's UV roof paint. You wouldn't believe how much it dropped the cab temps inside.

#39,069 ·
You got me there. Got to say though that my MFDRV does pretty good whooping around beat up dirt roads here and out in the desert. I gutted it and did a mini BOV conversion myself though....but it only sleeps 2. But it actually has mostall the other stuff listed, radar and aside. Plus a pooper, 12 gal tank w/heater, etc. There's a big rack up top now so you could easily put a tent thing up there if you wanted. Anyways, Its my daily and drives amazing both on and off. Wish it was 4wd some times. One of those sportsmobiles would be really nice, but Christ if they aren't expensive!

I have a winch at Jeff's sitting in the shed I wanted to put on the thing but I couldn't find bumper for it or even any pictures online to see what it would look like to rip off some designs and DIY. Def fun to build though. I enjoyed every hour spent. Do yourself a favor and get some of that henry's UV roof paint. You wouldn't believe how much it dropped the cab temps inside.
What chassis is it? I am having my winch bumper built. My chassis is a Chevy 3500. There are bumpers for it but hugely expensive
I installed 1 1/2 high density foam double foil insulation in the ceiling (R9.7) and the same for the walls but 1" (R7.8). The entire roof is shaded by the solar panel, cargo rack, plus 26 X 26 escape hatch/roof access, 7K BTU A/C unit and a Fan-Tastic-Vent. The solar panel can even be walked on. Not that I will but its for heavy duty use 19% efficient.

#39,075 ·
So your rig is similar to Jeff's. Seems like there should be bumpers available.
Basically mine is a class C but it does not have dualiies in the rear. I was looking for a rig that was no bigger than a full sized van or long bed pick up, length and width wise. I wanted to be able to stand up throughout, and have a bathroom big enough that you dont have to step outside to wipe.
The black water tank is 22 gallons, gray water 34 gallons, and fresh water is 42 gallons. It has an Atwood two burner cooktop, double sink, 3.7 cu ft fridge, microwave/convection oven range hood combo unit ($1280 at Home Depot I found a new one in the box on CL for $200), lots of counter space, lots of storage, 5gal propane, 6gal water heater, 3.4 gal/min 55lb pressure pump, outdoor BBQ hookup. Yes I have been throwing money at it like a long legged pole dancer. So far I have avoided selling my Jeep to fund it. Good thing the wife cant see that bank account lol.

#39,078 ·
Haha the freedom resort didn't come up on my google search. Is it a private association? ? I've heard there is Santa Ysebal trail near me in Ramona. Anyone have any info on it or the Black Mountain trail near by?
Black Mtn trail up in Ramona is a graded dirt road, I could take my grandmother's Park Ave on it.

I haven't been on Santa Ysabel creek trail in like 3 yrs, but its a fun little trail. "high clearance" vehicle recommended, which means I could probably drive my Hyundai Santa Fe through it. Easily make it through in a stocker jeep, unlikely to even need 4wd. Although half way down the trail you can turn right and go up to the top of the mountain, which is where the pretty chrome tip that was on the end of my muffler got knocked off right after I bought my jeep. (it was stock on 31's at the time),

#39,080 ·
sunday you should come down to the Freedom resort and help me wrench. I've got to do a fuel pump and a few other odds and ends.
Its supposed to be 100 degrees out there this weekend. You better have a lot of cold beer for me if I'm gonna come down there and work on a d$%# XJ. :rofl: Or we could skip the work, bring a bunch of grill'n stuff and float in the pool drinking beer, that sounds like a much better idea to me.