San Diego Area - Page 1941 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #29101
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post

I should have my Savvy half doors by then and will probably remove them once we get to the trails, at least that what Kat recommended. As far as my soft top, it's the Rampage one, so it will be in bikini mode. I can't wait.
As far as your doors are concerned, all you have to do is get here and pick them up. I'm not packing or shipping them.

Unread 10-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #29102
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any of you fellows ever dropped an HP30 into a TJ? I'm going to be buying one this coming thursday/friday and just want to know what to expect. Should it more or less just go right in? I'll have a pair or two of hands to help out when needed too
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #29103
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk803c View Post
Any of you fellows ever dropped an HP30 into a TJ? I'm going to be buying one this coming thursday/friday and just want to know what to expect. Should it more or less just go right in? I'll have a pair or two of hands to help out when needed too
Its a direct bolt in. The only thing that you might run into are problems with your front shaft's length because of the change of location.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #29104
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I had thought. If that were the case, would I have able to have the front drive shaft shortened, or would I need to invest in a new one?
Unread 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #29105
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
If work doesn't get in my way - I'm gunna try to make it too.

As a heads-up, if you can borrow somebody's 33-35" tires in an MT/R or similar flavor, you will thank yourself later. BFG AT's are likely to be short lived there. 33's are considered dinky for most of JV, but I have seen a few get by with them, but its rare.
I don't plan on running my jeep in the hammers my first time out, so that means you'll have to bring yours so I can ride along.

Of course if I win the lottery between now and then I'll have a set of 35" mtrs.

I need to get a dry cell (optima style) battery and ditch the factory air box so I can clearance the inner fenders. Then I will open up the rear wells too. That's all I need to get 35"s on mine... Oh and finish that 8.8 build
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #29106
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I had thought. If that were the case, would I have able to have the front drive shaft shortened, or would I need to invest in a new one?
Check your PMs but shafts are commonly shortened and it runs around 60 bucks.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #29107
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
As far as your doors are concerned, all you have to do is get here and pick them up. I'm not packing or shipping them.
Mike you had your chance on Saturday... At least now when you drive up you have blinkers.
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #29108
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
BAD ASSSS!! How much was that??
I got a gift cert for my birthday but I think it's $200 or so. I bought extra time, a t-shirt, and a video package too.
I think they have one down in SD somewhere. This one was in Newport Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

Whoa! Looks like a blast - pun intended.
It was extreme fun. Not like anything I've ever done before, and I've done some pretty crazy stuff.
You have to try it.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #29109
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
I want to get one of those.

Got an extra $100K sitting around not doing anything?

http://www.760kfmb.com/story/1611085...y-goes-on-sale
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #29110
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Had a good weekend of building. Got the bronco gone finally. Mounted my new spares, thanks Colin for the tires, Made a new home for said tires in rear of jeep.

Check the build thread for pictures and such.

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #29111
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12 View Post
Mike you had your chance on Saturday... At least now when you drive up you have blinkers.
Thanks for the help today with the turn signals. I hope you enjoy the seat risers. I didn't think they were ready for me yet. Blaine's getting them powder coated for me.

Quote:
Does that mean they're ready? I'm always looking for an excuse to drive up there.

I'm also thinking about selling the hard top to the LJ. If anyone is interested, let me know.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #29112
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the front driveshaft is stock, not aftermarket, then the chances of it needing to be shortened are about zero.

I've done at least 10 HP 30 swaps and have yet to have a driveshaft issue.
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #29113
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Add ~7-8 to Blaines 10. I have not seen where there was an issue with it either.

If you think about it - most folks who do a HPD30 swap into there TJ, already have a few inches of lift. So by going to an HP front axle they are making not only the drive shaft angle better, they are putting the drive shaft spline contact in a better position than with the LP axle.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #29114
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mike, I will be in Murrietta wednesday afternoon so I can pick up your doors if you want.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #29115
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the front driveshaft is stock, not aftermarket, then the chances of it needing to be shortened are about zero.

I've done at least 10 HP 30 swaps and have yet to have a driveshaft issue.

Cool. Thanks for the info Blaine. I'm hoping to pick it up Thursday and get it cleaned up and painted then come Friday after work get it installed. I'll be able to work on it Friday night, into Saturday unless the neighbors call the cops lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Add ~7-8 to Blaines 10. I have not seen where there was an issue with it either.

If you think about it - most folks who do a HPD30 swap into there TJ, already have a few inches of lift. So by going to an HP front axle they are making not only the drive shaft angle better, they are putting the drive shaft spline contact in a better position than with the LP axle.
That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I have 3 1/4" lift on it now so that sounds good to me. Gonna have to start pb blasting some bolts and nuts soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.