San Diego Area - Page 1862 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Reply
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #27916
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
so does anyone know why my steering box has about 5-7* of rotation in the steering shaft before there is any effect on the sector shaft? air?
If you are sure it is turns at the input shaft of the steering gear not moving the pitman and not play in the steering shaft u-joints, then it is the lash on the sector gear which is typically indicative of wear.

You can do the adjuster for the lash setting to find out, but that is not a fix, just a way to diagnose the excessive wear.

__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #27917
Climbit
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you are sure it is turns at the input shaft of the steering gear not moving the pitman and not play in the steering shaft u-joints, then it is the lash on the sector gear which is typically indicative of wear.

You can do the adjuster for the lash setting to find out, but that is not a fix, just a way to diagnose the excessive wear.
I sat underneath and watched as joe turned the steering wheel.
the input shaft turns and there is no slop in the u-joints.

what is the fix? rebuild the steering box? what parts do I need to replace? the box was rebuilt not too long ago and tapped for assist, I'd like to keep it if I can.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #27918
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
I sat underneath and watched as joe turned the steering wheel.
the input shaft turns and there is no slop in the u-joints.

what is the fix? rebuild the steering box? what parts do I need to replace? the box was rebuilt not too long ago and tapped for assist, I'd like to keep it if I can.
If you rebuilt it and it now has slop in it, I'd have to suspect the rebuilder didn't do something right. Take it off and send it to PSC after you call them.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #27919
Climbit
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you rebuilt it and it now has slop in it, I'd have to suspect the rebuilder didn't do something right. Take it off and send it to PSC after you call them.
I did not rebuild it. it was rebuilt by a guy on NAXJA, then ran on another member's jeep for a while.

I got it for a good deal, or I would have gone straight to PSC.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #27920
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
I did not rebuild it. it was rebuilt by a guy on NAXJA, then ran on another member's jeep for a while.

I got it for a good deal, or I would have gone straight to PSC.
How's that good deal working out for you now?

And I mean that in the nicest manner possible. Had you went PSC then, it would have been much cheaper while they still had stock for rebuilt small bore boxes. Now all they have are new NOT rebuilt big bore if you want variable assist and you really do.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #27921
joeyk803c
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,370
Had the interview yesterday for Lowes. Think it went well. Hopefully I'll be hearing back in a few days!
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #27922
Climbit
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How's that good deal working out for you now?

And I mean that in the nicest manner possible. Had you went PSC then, it would have been much cheaper while they still had stock for rebuilt small bore boxes. Now all they have are new NOT rebuilt big bore if you want variable assist and you really do.
believe me, I have already kicked myself for this one. not only will I need a new box, but they recommend a new pump for that box as well... :

the guy who rebuilt it originally said he will rebuild it again and if he finds out it was a problem on his end he will take care of the cost/shipping.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #27923
RikRotorhead
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If you can find one and have it in hand for $70 I would order it now. The alternative is one gets cough up locally and you will still pay at least $50 and have to go get it. Or, crawl all through a junkyard and maybe find one for $35 if you are lucky plus get to pull it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I agree that is all. It's worth 70 not to crawl around the junk yard on a hundred degree day.
Way ahead of you both. I ordered it this morning after Chris left and I was standing there looking at my broken Jeep. I came to the same conclusion. It would also have cost me that much in gas and I don't have to get under a Jeep on a greasy dirt lot.
Now I'm playing the waiting game for it to arrive from Pennsylvania UPS ground.
I've waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.
Thanks to all that have been keeping an eye out for one.
Soon I will be wheeling again.
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #27924
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Way ahead of you both. I ordered it this morning after Chris left and I was standing there looking at my broken Jeep. I came to the same conclusion. It would also have cost me that much in gas and I don't have to get under a Jeep on a greasy dirt lot.
Now I'm playing the waiting game for it to arrive from Pennsylvania UPS ground.
I've waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.
Thanks to all that have been keeping an eye out for one.
Soon I will be wheeling again.
My apologies for not being able to deliver on the one I know about. The big hang up is it is still in the vehicle and the owner is working too many hours to yank it for me.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #27925
sdmoose429
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Good Ole' Sandy Eggo, CA
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Way ahead of you both. I ordered it this morning after Chris left and I was standing there looking at my broken Jeep. I came to the same conclusion. It would also have cost me that much in gas and I don't have to get under a Jeep on a greasy dirt lot.
Now I'm playing the waiting game for it to arrive from Pennsylvania UPS ground.
I've waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.
Thanks to all that have been keeping an eye out for one.
Soon I will be wheeling again.
YAY
__________________
Happy Trails, Moose KF7ITJ
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their TOYS!"
sdmoose429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #27926
MJ12
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rancho San Diego, California
Posts: 407
Just got done installing some speakers in Krughzn jeep and fixing his right speaker wiring. Krughzn did an excellent job entertaining my crazy 3 year old and being my third hand. I also got to admired all the engineering that has gone into his jeep while he let my 3 year old drive it.
__________________
Currently looking for:
-Leaf Springs that you want to get rid of.
MJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #27927
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock
 
krughzn's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: El Cajon, Ca
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12 View Post
Just got done installing some speakers in Krughzn jeep and fixing his right speaker wiring. Krughzn did an excellent job entertaining my crazy 3 year old and being my third hand. I also got to admired all the engineering that has gone into his jeep while he let my 3 year old drive it.
Thanks for the help, Jason. I can actually hear my radio now while driving topless and doorless around town. You did a great job.

I never knew the inside of a Jeep could be so entertaining to a 3 year old.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #27928
RikRotorhead
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
My apologies for not being able to deliver on the one I know about. The big hang up is it is still in the vehicle and the owner is working too many hours to yank it for me.
No worries, I understand completely.
I am just anxious to get it rolling again. Problem is the part won't be here until next week sometime, we have a LOT of people staying at our house for my stepdaughter's wedding next Saturday, I'm trying to get some projects done before we leave on vacation a week from Monday, and the woman is breathing down my neck to work on her car too.
So I totally understand busy. My Jeep will be on stands for three more weeks anyway, but at lest if I get a spare minute I can work on it.
Thanks again to you and sdmoose for trying tho'. Much appreciated.
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #27929
Climbit
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,720
so does anyone have a spare steering box that will bolt in an XJ I can borrow for a week or 2 or buy if the price is right? the rebuilt one I have needs to be shipped out and rebuilt again and I don't really want to take the jeep offline for that long.

it won't be wheeled, just driven.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #27930
MJ12
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rancho San Diego, California
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
Thanks for the help, Jason. I can actually hear my radio now while driving topless and doorless around town. You did a great job.

I never knew the inside of a Jeep could be so entertaining to a 3 year old.
LOL, I know it was like a jungle gym for him. I was hoping he would have been wore out but he is still going strong. Kid has more energy than a nuclear reactor.
__________________
Currently looking for:
-Leaf Springs that you want to get rid of.
MJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.