San Diego Area - Page 1856 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #27826
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
I am sure it will big tires and a permanently locked front end doesn't make for front steering. You do know that a locker is easily switched from one axle to the other right? If and when you need help swapping gears let me know. Will gladly give you a hand
Only problem is that Dodge is 32 spline and the rest are 35 so it would be two different lockers. They only make a couple for the dodge and are just not worth buying for a few months use.

I will definitely hold you to a gear swap tho.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #27827
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJDesertRacer View Post
After the trip last night, it looks like ill be needing a new front axle. Anyone have a Dana 44 lying around. Haha.
i think steve and/or jimmy might have a rubi 44 lying around somewhere. might want to hit them up
Unread 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #27828
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
After the trip last night, it looks like ill be needing a new front axle. Anyone have a Dana 44 lying around. Haha.
pics? what happened?
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #27829
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
pics? what happened?

Hit deep rain ruts at 50 last night. Oil is leaking out off passenger knuckle and axle is shifted 2 inches to drivers side. I'll post pics later, could probably fix it but why put money into Dana 30. Anyone with axle swap experience, I'd love to gain some knowledge.

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #27830
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hit deep rain ruts at 50 last night. Oil is leaking out off passenger knuckle and axle is shifted 2 inches to drivers side. I'll post pics later, could probably fix it but why put money into Dana 30. Anyone with axle swap experience, I'd love to gain some knowledge.
I swap axles all the time. That said, the shift is likely due to mangled trackbar, trackbar mount or something NOT related to the specifics of a Dana 30.

The leak could be any number of things, but the fact that it's leaking out the end of the tube instead of next to the casting where the tube goes in is again not Dana 30 specific.

Before you get all D-30 butthurt, you need to find out what's damaged because even if you swapped in a Rubi 44 and redid the mounts to make it work, the exact same issues exist.
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #27831
Vern Britain

Ocotillo Wind Farm Petition to stop construction
Not that I'm against green energy but this is just another government bank rolled mess. This area is a BLM limited use area, with over 12,000 acres and 110 Wind Turbines . Wont be much wheeling if completed

Heres the BLM approval

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcen...ress_wind.html

More information below. Worth reading.

http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/9471

http://basinandrangewatch.org/OcotilloWind.html

Petition to stop below

http://www.change.org/petitions/say-...cility-project

My Website HERE
Vern Britain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #27832
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

I swap axles all the time. That said, the shift is likely due to mangled trackbar, trackbar mount or something NOT related to the specifics of a Dana 30.

The leak could be any number of things, but the fact that it's leaking out the end of the tube instead of next to the casting where the tube goes in is again not Dana 30 specific.

Before you get all D-30 butthurt, you need to find out what's damaged because even if you swapped in a Rubi 44 and redid the mounts to make it work, the exact same issues exist.
Thank you for the info. Im not against keeping the d 30 if possible, for obvious cost reasons. To start and diagnose this issue, should I remove the track bar and see if the axle pulls back to center, if possible? Is the a way to determine if my knuckle is bent?

IFS WJ dual sport
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #27833
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the axle won't pull back to center. however if your trackbar is damaged, you will know. most likely the bushing on the axle side, or the frame side mount is bent/broken.

pics of everything would help.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #27834
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ive done two axle swaps. So if you end up going that route I could help. Check out ecology this weekend you might be able to score an hp30 for cheap cause its half price
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #27835
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
In case anyone cares, on the 17th El Cajon is having an "Off Road Madness" car show on Main street.

http://www.ci.el-cajon.ca.us/misc/Fo...20Concerts.pdf
Bump for the El Cajon car show. You guys should all show up and make everybody else look like they are driving Corollas
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #27836
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bump for the El Cajon car show. You guys should all show up and make everybody else look like they are driving Corollas
There is no info on attending, just the schedule.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #27837
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The link only talks about the classic car cruise night. I've been to that before. Kinda' interesting.
Do you have any more info on the "off road" portion of it?
Not that I can bring my Jeep, 'cuz it's still on jack stands and I haven't found a bell housing yet. Grrrr....
Hope I find one before summer is over.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #27838
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

s promised, pictures of the damage. It doesnt look as bad as I thought. Removing the track bar helped to straighten some of it out.

The drivers knuckle and steering wheel are both at straight ahead.

Passenger side

Drivers side

My coils have always touched my bump stops at full droop, That is why i have it strapped. The drivers side looks to be normal to me but the passenger appears to be a inch or so pushed back.

I plan to pull the axle to inspect everything. Are there any measurements I need to take as referance before I pull this old axle in the event I put a different one in?

IFS WJ dual sport
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #27839
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

take some pics at ride height
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #27840
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Hey folks,
I'm a member of Geared4Fun and we put on a big fun annual charitable offroad fundraiser event out in the SOCAL desert near Ocotillo Wells for disabled/paralyzed U.S. military veterans.
Before we can post the link to it elsewhere, we need more LIKES at Operation Desert Fun (ODF) | Facebook
Please click Like on our Facebook page and help us out!
And if you can make it to the event, we'd love to have you! And if you can't, please register anyway if you can since it's for a very good cause.
Hi Jerry,
What are you driving these days? Did you get your rig back?
I will like and share the FB page and probably come to the event as well. Get ahold of 4x4 Corps as well. They love to do veteran and Wounded Warrior runs.

Moose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.