San Diego Area - Page 1810 - JeepForum.com

 28Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #27136 of 40397 Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
TJRoberto
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,689
any one looking for Dana 44 shafts Material 4140 chromoly

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2988939772.html G 2
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2992085730.html Alloy USA

TJRoberto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27137 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
TJRoberto
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,689
Quick question for those TJ Rubicon experts

I saw on the classified section that theirs a guy selling his from rubicon locker, I currently have a stock Rubicon rear axle in my TJ. Would it be a good upgrade to get the front rubicon locker and replace it with my rear Rubicon LSD locker? I remember reading online that the LSD locker are a little weaker than the non LSD?
Would you guys think this is a good thing to do just to get a little stronger locker. I know it does not compare to a ARB but it would give a little piece of mind.
TJRoberto is offline  
post #27138 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Speed-Freek
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vista / Lake Havasu
Posts: 421
Ocotillo this weekend!! Jeepin and dirtbiking, anybody want to come out this weekend?? PM me!

I will be leaving tonight till Sunday, the weather will be a high of 83 all weekend, better than 93, I'll take it. Its only going to get hotter out there so I am taking advantage of the weather while still permiting.

Plus I want to ride my new bike! Any off road motorcycle riders in here?

ASE certified tech, and welder/fabricator for hire, PM me for any of your automotive needs!
Speed-Freek is offline  
post #27139 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
If anyone has the ability to remove a rounded out harmonic balancer bolt, and can make a house call, great appreciation would be granted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
you need the same fix as andy (grewe02) weld (or have someone weld) a bolt to it, wrench it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12 View Post
The welding idea tends to work the best on larger bolts but if you can't weld it, you could always drill a hole in the bolt, use pb blaster and an easy out on it....Marshalls Hardware will have everything you need to remove the bolt if you can't find it locally.
P.S. DON'T USE HARBOR FREIGHT EASY OUT'S..... They will make your problem worse....
Got the bolt out. It took a $15 HF grinder, a cutoff disc, HF bolt extractor sockets, and a hell of a lot of brain power/muscle. First tried using a breaker bar, wound up breaking the old timing chain AND gear (no big deal, replacing them anyways- entire reason why I was doing this). Moved onto using the grinder to cut the bolt off.

My dad rolls home and suggests we use the extractor socket with the breaker bar, AND the engines starter. Put it all together, plopped a battery in the truck, cranked it over and within 1 second the bolt was broken free... Already have a new bolt on its way from Toyota, seeing as how it's a particular bolt. No amount of PB blaster or penetrating lubricants would have broken this free, it's not that type of bolt.

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #27140 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 PM
MJ12
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rancho San Diego
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Got the bolt out. It took a $15 HF grinder, a cutoff disc, HF bolt extractor sockets, and a hell of a lot of brain power/muscle. First tried using a breaker bar, wound up breaking the old timing chain AND gear (no big deal, replacing them anyways- entire reason why I was doing this). Moved onto using the grinder to cut the bolt off.

My dad rolls home and suggests we use the extractor socket with the breaker bar, AND the engines starter. Put it all together, plopped a battery in the truck, cranked it over and within 1 second the bolt was broken free... Already have a new bolt on its way from Toyota, seeing as how it's a particular bolt. No amount of PB blaster or penetrating lubricants would have broken this free, it's not that type of bolt.
Congrats...

Currently looking for:
-Leaf Springs that you want to get rid of.
MJ12 is offline  
post #27141 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,927
Garage
I feel so accomplished today. Will feel better when I see this absolutely massive POS truck run like new.

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #27142 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Quick question for those TJ Rubicon experts

I saw on the classified section that theirs a guy selling his from rubicon locker, I currently have a stock Rubicon rear axle in my TJ. Would it be a good upgrade to get the front rubicon locker and replace it with my rear Rubicon LSD locker? I remember reading online that the LSD locker are a little weaker than the non LSD?
Would you guys think this is a good thing to do just to get a little stronger locker. I know it does not compare to a ARB but it would give a little piece of mind.
The Rubi front-to-rear locker is a direct swap. When the rear LSD starts to wear you'll hear and likely feel a distinct clunk from the rear when you shift. They tend to be rather inconsistent, when they start making noise they can last years or explode with no warning

If yours is working and quiet, and you're running 35's or smaller tires and not pounding around JV, it probably doesn't need to be changed, however, if the locker is uber-cheap it may be worth the piece of mind to gain that little edge, again, if the price is right

The Rubi lockers, while not on the same level as an ARB, is a good, stout unit.
StvDiego is offline  
post #27143 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 PM
TJRoberto
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
The Rubi front-to-rear locker is a direct swap. When the rear LSD starts to wear you'll hear and likely feel a distinct clunk from the rear when you shift. They tend to be rather inconsistent, when they start making noise they can last years or explode with no warning

If yours is working and quiet, and you're running 35's or smaller tires and not pounding around JV, it probably doesn't need to be changed, however, if the locker is uber-cheap it may be worth the piece of mind to gain that little edge, again, if the price is right

The Rubi lockers, while not on the same level as an ARB, is a good, stout unit.
I was able to get a good deal on it $300 shipped to my door, out of a 05 Rubicon with 30K miles on it. The long long long plan is to eventually run JV if my built allows it to. So the plan is to basically just spend on swapping in the front Locker and selling my rear Rubicon locker. Right now theirs nothing wrong with my rear LSD locker, but I just waned to know if its worth the time and money to have a non LSD locker in my rear axle. and be a little more in the safe side.
TJRoberto is offline  
post #27144 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
I was able to get a good deal on it $300 shipped to my door, out of a 05 Rubicon with 30K miles on it. The long long long plan is to eventually run JV if my built allows it to. So the plan is to basically just spend on swapping in the front Locker and selling my rear Rubicon locker. Right now theirs nothing wrong with my rear LSD locker, but I just waned to know if its worth the time and money to have a non LSD locker in my rear axle. and be a little more in the safe side.
Since you already have it, might as well toss it in.

In the meantime, just keep the rear locked when on the trail and avoid LSD slips
StvDiego is offline  
post #27145 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
TJRoberto
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Since you already have it, might as well toss it in.

In the meantime, just keep the rear locked when on the trail and avoid LSD slips
sorry for my grammer and bad communication. I was given a good deal but dont have the non LSD locker yet, I do have a rear Rubicon axle in my TJ already, and wanted to see if its a good idea to purchase a non LSD locker to replace my current rear locker....


man this conversation got a little tangled up
TJRoberto is offline  
post #27146 of 40397 Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
sorry for my grammer and bad communication. I was given a good deal but dont have the non LSD locker yet, I do have a rear Rubicon axle in my TJ already, and wanted to see if its a good idea to purchase a non LSD locker to replace my current rear locker....


man this conversation got a little tangled up
Ah, gotcha, I thought you had already bought the locker.

Considering that... Personally I'd pass if your locker is working properly, better things to spend $300 on during a build process, like;

If you plan on running around jV invest in these: http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1035
StvDiego is offline  
post #27147 of 40397 Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 AM
calsouthjeep
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 748
Keeping the rear locked when on the trail will increase the longevity of the rubi locker over allowing it to act as a lsd? I think I read somewhere it has to do with how the gears (lack of better term) inside the actual locker take a beating in LSD mode cause of the type of slippage that occurs. Am I on the right track?
calsouthjeep is offline  
post #27148 of 40397 Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 AM
c-manxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Camp Pendleton
Posts: 326
maybe its too short of notice but perhaps some jeepers are down: im thinking about a trip to corral canyon if anyone is interested, this coming sunday (the 6th). im about to leave for 2 weeks on monday and im trying to get one last trip in.

1994 Cherokee SE
a few mods here and there

USMC
c-manxj is offline  
post #27149 of 40397 Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM
StvDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by calsouthjeep View Post
Keeping the rear locked when on the trail will increase the longevity of the rubi locker over allowing it to act as a lsd? I think I read somewhere it has to do with how the gears (lack of better term) inside the actual locker take a beating in LSD mode cause of the type of slippage that occurs. Am I on the right track?
yep you is. Locking the rear locks the LSD action and puts the torques on the locker
StvDiego is offline  
post #27150 of 40397 Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
sorry for my grammer and bad communication. I was given a good deal but dont have the non LSD locker yet, I do have a rear Rubicon axle in my TJ already, and wanted to see if its a good idea to purchase a non LSD locker to replace my current rear locker....


man this conversation got a little tangled up
If you have the OEM rear Rubi locker in the Rubi housing as your back axle, do not get a front for it. Save the money for an ARB when the rear blows up.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
San Diego Meet and Greet, Jan 2nd 11AM Fiesta Island Jeebs SanDiego 243 12-28-2012 06:30 PM
Monster Jam San Diego (January 23rd) Delta347 SanDiego 7 01-09-2010 09:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome