San Diego Area - Page 1802 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #27016
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
Just saw a canary yellow JK on I-15 N with a decal on the door that was interesting. It was the Biohazard symbol, (like Joe's avatar), and around it were the words, "Zombie Outbreak Response Team". COOL! My 1st thought, a cross between Joe Dillard and Rik Rotorhead. OMG
Like this?

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #27017
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any opinions on oil pan replacement and gaskets? Stick with dealer, specific aftermarket? Doesn't matter, they all fit the same? Same goes for the rear main seal, any input?
MJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #27018
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went wheeling the other day and when I came home I parked the Jeep in the garage.
I went to start it again and when it started it made a grinding sound coming from the flywheel.
I thought it might be a bad starter, the bendix wasn't returning and the gear was grinding on the flywheel.
So I took the starter out and returned it to Autozone because it has a lifetime warranty. Got a new one, put it in.
Same noise. Pulled the starter, no grind marks on the bendix gear.
Held the starter in place and had someone start the Jeep. When it started I pulled the starter away from the bell housing.
The noise was still there and I could see sparks in the bell housing. Shut the engine off right away.
So what I'm thinking is, maybe a bolt that holds the clutch plate on fell off or is loose and rubbing?
Anybody wanna' guess? I know I have to pull the tranny but I'm curious what you all might think it is.
I'll report back when I pull it as to what it is.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #27019
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had a fun day wheel'n at CC with MJ12 and Matt & Justin. Here's a few pics.
img-20120421-00047.jpg   img-20120421-00054.jpg   img-20120421-00056.jpg   img-20120421-00050.jpg  
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #27020
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I spent a few hours over at Joe's today and watched him burn some metal on Taylor's skid plate. Then Taylor helped me put my battery sensor cable back in. Actually he did all the work and I watched and tried to lose some of Joe's tools. I wish I could of headed out to CC. That's always fun.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #27021
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it was a beautiful day out there. Not too hot yet. We ran Sidewinder, then Bronco Peak. If we'd have had more time, were going to try and squeeze in gunslinger to, but had to be back for my other son's piano recital.
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #27022
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
I went wheeling the other day and when I came home I parked the Jeep in the garage.
I went to start it again and when it started it made a grinding sound coming from the flywheel.
I thought it might be a bad starter, the bendix wasn't returning and the gear was grinding on the flywheel.
So I took the starter out and returned it to Autozone because it has a lifetime warranty. Got a new one, put it in.
Same noise. Pulled the starter, no grind marks on the bendix gear.
Held the starter in place and had someone start the Jeep. When it started I pulled the starter away from the bell housing.
The noise was still there and I could see sparks in the bell housing. Shut the engine off right away.
So what I'm thinking is, maybe a bolt that holds the clutch plate on fell off or is loose and rubbing?
Anybody wanna' guess? I know I have to pull the tranny but I'm curious what you all might think it is.
I'll report back when I pull it as to what it is.
Can you maybe get in there with a long magnet through the starter opening or the inspection plate?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #27023
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
I spent a few hours over at Joe's today and watched him burn some metal on Taylor's skid plate. Then Taylor helped me put my battery sensor cable back in. Actually he did all the work and I watched and tried to lose some of Joe's tools. I wish I could of headed out to CC. That's always fun.
some day you will be as strong as me, then you can plug your sensors back in

we will be finishing up the skid tomorrow.

progress!
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #27024
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not too jazzed about having to drive to work this morning

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #27025
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Can you maybe get in there with a long magnet through the starter opening or the inspection plate?
Funny you mention that. I did try that. I have one of those HF magnets on a gooseneck and it just kept sticking to the flywheel.
I need one of those inspection cameras.
Either way I gotta' pull the trans I'll bet. It's not that hard of a project, just time consuming.
Too bad it doesn't need a new clutch.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #27026
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so Joe, Andy and I finished up my t-case skid today... it was pretty easy

NOT......

Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #27027
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post

Not too jazzed about having to drive to work this morning
My seats are SOAKED from last night dude. Whole interior is wet ftl.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #27028
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk803c View Post
My seats are SOAKED from last night dude. Whole interior is wet ftl.
Mine is the same

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #27029
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12 View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on oil pan replacement and gaskets? Stick with dealer, specific aftermarket? Doesn't matter, they all fit the same? Same goes for the rear main seal, any input?
Dont use a gasket for the oilpan!! They will just eventually fail, I clean the block and oilpan surface really well using brake clean, then go get yourself some Permatex "The right stuff!" comes in a aerosol can like cheese whiz, put a good bead on the pan and install, this way you have a permanent seal that will not ever fail.

I dont remember the last time I used a pan gasket, use the sealant where applicable is far better than any gaskets unless they are the aluminum/silicon type.
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #27030
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
so Joe, Andy and I finished up my t-case skid today... it was pretty easy

NOT......

Looks great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.