San Diego Area - Page 1798 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #26956
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
Looks like you had good time. Wish I hadn't been sick. I'm in next time, though. BTW, who is the Bar wench, er...bar tender?
That's Jimmys GF, Karen.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #26957
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Thanks moose,
As soon as I get a call from Sparkys with a status let you know, that way you can let me know if what they are doing is good(it's always good to be 100% sure)
That's right. Get a second opinion. It just takes a second to get another opinion. lol
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #26958
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429

That's right. Get a second opinion. It just takes a second to get another opinion. lol
Just spoke to Bob from Sparkys and he's said it might be the clutches/belts and it might need a new overhaul. Right not the tranny is sleeping according to him and the oil is burned. So it looks like it would cost me $1100-$1400 to fix the tranny.

He will be 100% sure ones he opens up the pan. Any input fellow jeepers :/
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #26959
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just spoke to Bob from Sparkys and he's said it might be the clutches/belts and it might need a new overhaul. Right not the tranny is sleeping according to him and the oil is burned. So it looks like it would cost me $1100-$1400 to fix the tranny.

And what was wrong with the manual that was in there???
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #26960
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That is pretty darn pricey to rebuilt a 3 speed auto.
What are exactly the problems you were having with this auto trans?
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #26961
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There are no belts in that trans. Have they removed it yet? and. yeah, that is a good price for a cheapie trans job.
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #26962
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cost me about $800 for a rebuild and at the time thought it was a good price. I did the R&R though.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #26963
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
And what was wrong with the manual that was in there???
Decided to be cool and replace it with a auto tranny to have better handling and not having to deal with the third pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
That is pretty darn pricey to rebuilt a 3 speed auto.
What are exactly the problems you were having with this auto trans?
well like I said earlier I swap out my stock 5speed for a 3 speed auto.
When I was done with the complete install, I drove it for a complete day, and as I was getting close home the RPMs went hight and I was barely moving forward, I put it in reverse and it started jerking backwars little by little. When it was in neutral, it had this scratching sound from the bellhousing... (at the moment tranny did felt a little warmer than the engine)

I parked it and towed it this morning to sparky's and that's where I stand at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Cost me about $800 for a rebuild and at the time thought it was a good price. I did the R&R though.
I hope to be around that price but I guess not, whats a R&R? I suck at mechanical abbreviations
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #26964
Gomez
2006 TJ Wrangler 

R&R = Remove and Replace (that's what it meant for our vehicle estimation software for Mitchell International.)
[COLOR="White"][B][SIZE="3"]White Jeep Club #1904[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

[U][B]Useful Write-ups:[/B][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-forum-faq-615132/"]TJ FAQ[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp (A must read)[/URL]
[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html"]Recovery Tips[/URL]
Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #26965
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Decided to be cool and replace it with a auto tranny to have better handling and not having to deal with the third pedal

well like I said earlier I swap out my stock 5speed for a 3 speed auto.
When I was done with the complete install, I drove it for a complete day, and as I was getting close home the RPMs went hight and I was barely moving forward, I put it in reverse and it started jerking backwars little by little. When it was in neutral, it had this scratching sound from the bellhousing... (at the moment tranny did felt a little warmer than the engine)

I parked it and towed it this morning to sparky's and that's where I stand at the moment

I hope to be around that price but I guess not, whats a R&R? I suck at mechanical abbreviations
R&R= Remove & Replace
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #26966
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
There are no belts in that trans. Have they removed it yet? and. yeah, that is a good price for a cheapie trans job.
They have not removed it yet, he said that to be sure he had to remove the pan before removing it completely... I just don't know if I should let them keep on working on it, or just find another place. $1100 is still way out of my budget
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #26967
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so........

I might..MIGHT.... be doing a shakedown run on sunday to test my new skid.

depends on whether or not it gets done in time, which I will not know until later this week.

if anyone is interested I am thinking CC.

I will know more when I get home from vegas tomorrow.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #26968
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit
so........

I might..MIGHT.... be doing a shakedown run on sunday to test my new skid.

depends on whether or not it gets done in time, which I will not know until later this week.

if anyone is interested I am thinking CC.

I will know more when I get home from vegas tomorrow.
Do you need a map to get to the trailhead?

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #26969
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They have not removed it yet, he said that to be sure he had to remove the pan before removing it completely... I just don't know if I should let them keep on working on it, or just find another place. $1100 is still way out of my budget
To save money pull the trans yourself and have a trans shop do a bench job, would save considerable on labor money. Or buy a trans manual and the parts and rebuilt it yourself would cost you a whole lot less find a autotrans warehouse and price out the manual and hard parts. There's a place here in Ontario that sells all the goodies online.
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #26970
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
To save money pull the trans yourself and have a trans shop do a bench job, would save considerable on labor money. Or buy a trans manual and the parts and rebuilt it yourself would cost you a whole lot less find a autotrans warehouse and price out the manual and hard parts. There's a place here in Ontario that sells all the goodies online.
x2
Just remember to take your time and make sure all the parts you take out get put back in.
MJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.